HIS X850XT PE.. Fan is not spinning, Temps are high..

HDBox2d1

Gawd
Hello everybody, i just upgraded my DVD drive and hard drives this past week.
I do not know how to install and work that hardware, so i took my computer to a IT company. They installed all the hardware and said it should work.

I took apart my case last night and i noticed my HIS's fan is not spinning.
The wire going to the fan is connected on the video card, and the video card is connected to the molex power cable aswell.
I downloaded Rivatuner and my temps are: core temp.. 76.00C Ambiant Temp..56.00C
Is there anything i can do to fix this?

Would i fry my card, if i keep the computer on today.. I will only be browsing the internet, looking for help on my HIS's fan.

I'm scared, this is the very first PC i built. I spent $575 on my HIS X850XT PE.. i would not be able to buy anything close to that again. :(

I am about to check the "Post your X850XT Temps" thread.
Thanks for your help.

You will more than likely fry your card if you leave it on without the fan running, considering what a hot running card it is. You don't seem to computer savvy to see if you can contact HIS about getting a replacement or that place where you had your computer built. In the mean time use your motherboards onboard video or a temporary junker videocard.

I would suggest buying an aftermarket cooler from Zalman or Arctic Cooling but installation can be risky and nerve wracking if you don't know what you're doing. If you absolutely need to have the card in until you can find a solution, see if you can place a fan underneath the card and at least get some air blowing on it.

How many case fans do you have running? Also, make sure you tidy up all the wires that may be interfering with air flow coming in from the front.

I agree with YmkFX about installing a Zalman or Arctic.

I have the Artic Cooling unit on my HIS video card.
Front case fan-12 cm fan
Rear case fan-12 cm fan
Processor fan- stock AMD64 HSF
Video card fan- Artic Cooling unit
Extra fan- Honey comb side panel.. lets it breath (the thermaltake shark)

I just rewired some cables to make it look nicer.
Yeah,i'm gonna take my computer into the shop on Monday.
I don't have onboard video on the mobo.. Its the Gigabyte unit in my sig.

i'm sad :(

can somebody help me please.
When i played battlefield 2 nights ago.. my computer shut down for no reason.. this is a stress factor right? It was protection for my system.

Is my card broke.. i don't see why the fan is not spinning.. Everything havign to deal with my video card is connected 100%.

Thank you!

If the fan is broken its broken. Alot of the HIS Arctic Coolers broke down. The one I got works wonder had it for like a year now still works hehe i got lucky. All u can do is replace ta fan. its no biggy. :) LOL y are u running a card like ta X850XT PE wit out a fan its gonna melt the chip. U should never run a card or chip wit out a FAN. Ur lucky ur if ur card still works after playing a game like BF2. Just Replace the fan.

clawhamer said:
Under no circumstances run that card without a working fan!

ditto that!!! dont even boot your pc up at all.....I wouldnt anyways :eek:

It IS a silencer.

If the fan really broke, you can temporarily set up a 80mm fan blowing DIRECTLY into the fan intake, this will get you the airflow needed to keep you safe till you decide on a soolution. Airflow is airflow.... an outside fan blowing into the intake doesnt have cooties :D

Ive already decided if/when my AC Silencer (rev 5 on PCIe X850XTPE) fan dies, Ill remove the fan from the cooler, and setup a 80mm fan with fan shroud to just blow air into the intake. The heatsink itself is excellent, with fan on 100% (Forced by ATItool) my max load temps are 55C core 48C mem. To me the AC Silencer is the only cooler short of watercooling to even bother with.... I lapped the AC before installation to near mirror finish as well, combined with superthin coating of AS3.

theelviscerator said:
Put a silencer on it..mine idles around 30c...loaded up around 47C..

I'm sorry. What is the difference fron the stock Arctic Silencer Cooling Unit on the HIS X850XT PE and the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer you are talking about? Or are you talking about water cooling or another type of silencer?

The HIS X850XT PE comes with the Arctic Silencer 5 from the factory.

Here is a photo
official.jpg

cool2.jpg

ReDgUaRd008: Thats scary that alot of the HIS silencers broke down :( not good
Well if all that is wrong, is replacing the fan.. thats not bad. If i gotta replace the heat sink & fan & other stuff. Thats not cool .. I guess i was running the computer b/c i'm a computer novice/noob. Scary :(

clawhamer: haha allright. i won't
KingPing: Good deal

mrhemmy: I'm pretty sure newegg.com had the HIS X850XT PE for $575 before the 7800 line came about. So i *think* the card was the fastest out there to buy. I might be wrong.. what was the fastest video card before the Nvida 7800 line came out? But yeah.. that is alot of money.. i hope mine isn't melted :(

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx: Yeah i thought it was a silencer,
Thats cool, i'll keep that in mind.. hooking up a 80mm fan.
Good info you told me :) Yeah.. it seems like the AC Silencer Rev. 5 is really good at its jobs. Good thing i have one. haha

The cooler for HIS is manufactured for them by ArticCooling, it IS a silencer. Do not run it without the fan spinning, take it back to where you got it and ask them to replace it. Or contact HIS and ask for an RMA. If you can't do either, buy replacement and have someone install it for you if youre uncomfortable doing it yourself, you can easily get the same cooler from newegg, jab-tech, zzf, etc.

Hooking up an 80mm fan won't help because the coolers shroud will impede the airflow over the heatsink. The cooler isn't designed for that.

OR u can do this no laughing i did this wit ta touch pad.

my.php

U can add a 80 or 92MM fan on top of tat openning u can "if not going 2 replace cooler" u can crasy glue ta fan on top n plug it onto the power plug on ta card it will work ta same. but it might b louded.

If I remember correctly, the shroud is open on both sides of the fan, the air would just escape to the other side and not flow over the heatsink as you would want it to. The silencer fan is a blower type fan, you can't just stick an axial fan on it, the whole thing needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind that it might also be something wrong with the actual card itself. You would be best off taking it back/rma'ing it.

Ive installed ACS4 and ACS5 coolers, on 9800pro, X800, and X850 cards for friends and myself. The shroud allows blowing air into the fan opening that blows out the back, as I said, its a temp stopgap measure so his card doesnt MELT while he seeks a fix. Just twist-tie a 80mm fan up blowing into the hole.

Ultimately, you could disassemble the ACS5, remove the 3 microscrew holding the fan-guts in, and put them aside. And use silicon glue to secure permanently an 80mm fan to the air inlet. Infact you can track down a 15mm thickness 80mm fan and have a lower profile than a 25mm fan.

Infact AC would really be wise, given the move toward SLI/Crossfire and how tight the 2 PCIe connector positionings are, if they had a version that was lowprofile, and the front was simply a lowprofile rectangle with no fan at all. And they had a 1 card and a 2 card shroud extension with a 80 or 92mm fan mounting that would be near the edge of the normal motherboard position so 2 cards in SLI, no clearence problems between them, and a good fan blowing into both to cool them.

Oh well, not alot of imagination going on these days. But you could actually create your own of what I just said by lobotomizing each of two ACS5's, cutting them off at the fan bumpout, then rigging a custom shroud to direct air into both remaining ACS5 sections with a remote fan mounted in front of the video card area in the case.... just a thought.

ncantador said:
The cooler for HIS is manufactured for them by ArticCooling, it IS a silencer. Do not run it without the fan spinning, take it back to where you got it and ask them to replace it. Or contact HIS and ask for an RMA. If you can't do either, buy replacement and have someone install it for you if youre uncomfortable doing it yourself, you can easily get the same cooler from newegg, jab-tech, zzf, etc.

Hooking up an 80mm fan won't help because the coolers shroud will impede the airflow over the heatsink. The cooler isn't designed for that.
Exactly. Return the card immediatly before it dies on you and if I were you, I wouldn't run my PC at all until you get a new unit.

OMG u guys should listen to him he said he card works but only ta fan doesnt work. Just do wat i told u to do and ull be safe. DONT FLAME ME!!!. I have the same card so i kno adding the fan on top will work i tested out on my own card. and he will be sending his card over to Hong Kong. so just adding ta fan on it will b easyer

ncantador: Yeah, HIS finally returned my emai. They told me to RMA it and get another one. too bad newegg.com doesn't have any new retail HIS units :( I have to settle for something else.. and add the AC Rev. 5
Interesting about the fan won't work. scary

ReDgUaRd008: haha no thanks. :p I don't want something home made. Good idea though.

ncantador: Yeah i also heard that from somebody else. Its cool, i'll just get a new X850XT PE.

lloose: .. will do RMA in a week. I miss my computer alot.. i should RMA now insted of a week.

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx: Interesting. I don't know if i could do all that myself. I'm a computer novice ;) I could take my computer to a shop and have them do that. But i would rather just RMA it and get a new card. I loved my first video card i bought..
R.I.P. HIS X850XT PE haha

daedal: I haven't ran it in a week.. i miss my computer.

ReDgUaRd008: ha well. I can't do the steps you told me to. Sorry
I'm sending my card back to newegg.com.. HIS in hong kong would be too hard of a RMA i think.
Thanks for letting this thread get big. I got many ideas of how to handle this.

What brand of X850XT should i get? Asus,Sapphire,VisionTek,Power Color,Connect3D?
I need a card that is 540MHz Core Clock.. some only have 520HMz

HDBox2d1 said:
ncantador: Yeah, HIS finally returned my emai. They told me to RMA it and get another one. too bad newegg.com doesn't have any new retail HIS units :( I have to settle for something else.. and add the AC Rev. 5
Interesting about the fan won't work. scary

ReDgUaRd008: ha well. I can't do the steps you told me to. Sorry
I'm sending my card back to newegg.com.. HIS in hong kong would be too hard of a RMA i think.
Thanks for letting this thread get big. I got many ideas of how to handle this.

What brand of X850XT should i get? Asus,Sapphire,VisionTek,Power Color,Connect3D?
I need a card that is 540MHz Core Clock.. some only have 520HMz

First RMA the card for sure.

2nd You should wait a few days......Oct 4th is supposed to be interesting day if you like ATI. For the bucks you will pay for a X850 card a few day wait might get you something better. ;)

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
Ive installed ACS4 and ACS5 coolers, on 9800pro, X800, and X850 cards for friends and myself. The shroud allows blowing air into the fan opening that blows out the back, as I said, its a temp stopgap measure so his card doesnt MELT while he seeks a fix. Just twist-tie a 80mm fan up blowing into the hole.

Ultimately, you could disassemble the ACS5, remove the 3 microscrew holding the fan-guts in, and put them aside. And use silicon glue to secure permanently an 80mm fan to the air inlet. Infact you can track down a 15mm thickness 80mm fan and have a lower profile than a 25mm fan.

Infact AC would really be wise, given the move toward SLI/Crossfire and how tight the 2 PCIe connector positionings are, if they had a version that was lowprofile, and the front was simply a lowprofile rectangle with no fan at all. And they had a 1 card and a 2 card shroud extension with a 80 or 92mm fan mounting that would be near the edge of the normal motherboard position so 2 cards in SLI, no clearence problems between them, and a good fan blowing into both to cool them.

Oh well, not alot of imagination going on these days. But you could actually create your own of what I just said by lobotomizing each of two ACS5's, cutting them off at the fan bumpout, then rigging a custom shroud to direct air into both remaining ACS5 sections with a remote fan mounted in front of the video card area in the case.... just a thought.

Seriously, the fan on the ACS is designed the way it is for a reason. Just compare that fan and a normal fan. They're nothing alike, a normal fan is just going to push air straight through, while the design on the ACS is to push it down the heatsink. Like a bathtub full of water, you push the water in one direction, it's going to swirl around and the flow will go to the other side going around the corner; the fan spinning air around and it going into the heatsink.

Putting one over the ACS fan isn't going to do much at all either, it'll spin the ACS a little bit, but the airflow will get all fucked up...At least, this is how I observe it to be.

Emiddle said:
Here's a good thread about the Arctic Silencers. Seems there might be a problem with
the connecting wire and not the fan itself. Worth looking at if you have a problem.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=4012

Thanks for the link.. a little too late.. i RMAed the video card this week.
What if i could have fixed that! :(

I couldn't remove the fan and got another one to blow on it. I dont like that idea.. sorry :)

Back