his iceq 2 7970 coil whine or something else?

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a great deal on 2 7970 on craigslist. brought then home 1 seems like its working good and the other has a whine to it. I have been reading about coil whine and a lot of people say they get it when get super high frame rates like in menus. The whine i have only starts when in game not on menus and had a different tone of whine depending on the fps. so is my problem not coil whine? i had a feeling that this deal was to good to be true.

Does vsync help to alleviate the coil whine? It sounds like coil whine is indeed the issue you're suffering.

Ah, HIS. My mortal enemy.

I tried that IceQx2 cooler back when I was in a mess of buying then RMAing 7970s for coil whine. I gotta say, it was the worst of them, with not only a whine under the typical scenarios (hundreds of fps, folding), but a lower-pitched, MUCH more annoying buzzing, drilling sound when in gameplay (BF3 and Crysis in particular).

It makes sense, considering the pitch frequency of the coils vibrating was relative to the load. It just also showed what piss-poor build quality the card had, despite all the bullshit marketing splashed all over the box about the "solid state chokes" (coils) and how they shouldn't whine.

On top of that, they'll make you RMA it to California where it would then be sent to China or god-knows somewhere for weeks, and that's if you manage to satisfy their criteria (I think it's original owner only).

Good luck to ya. /rant

Sounds like regular coil whine to me. I dont blame the guy for not saying that it whines, but I understand that its annoying. Its why I wouldnt buy a used GPU.

Does the card whine alone in the system or just crossfire? also if the card is not ref design then they don't follow AMD specs on the coils .. I have never had a card do this but I always buy ref cards as my 7950 does not whine.

ok so it figured it out when i installed amd drivers it installed some program called amd gaming evolved i didnt pay much attention to it but all of a sudden when i loaded up crysis 3 and dota 2 my frames would drop dramatically depending on how fast i was moving the cursor making the game stutter like crazy and unplayable. So i uninstalled that crap and seems like everything is working good now. whine is gone to i dunno what the hell that was all about.

Back