HIS 7970 $450 at Newegg

Wow.. and the price keeps going down. Wish I waited a day before I picked up my 2 7970's....

At $450 USD the 7970 is a better value. As you get closer to $500 then it becomes debatable. Also, good luck finding 680's in stock.

Most of the 7970s on Newegg also come with one or more free games which does help the price point a bit.

Of course, the present price point is what these cards should have been released at in the first place and a nearly $200 early adopter tax for my crossfire setup is quite... irksome.

Good thread if only to point out that the prices are dropping on the 7970s, and despite all the hype, the gtx 680 is pretty much a draw performance-wise with the 7970, particularly if you game at 2560x1600. I pre-ordered a mildly souped-up EVGA Superclocked+ 680, but that was prior to the AMD price cuts. Now, after the price drop, the beastly Asus 7970 I'd been considering has dropped by $60!! For that price, it's significantly faster than a stock GTX 680, runs quieter, cooler, and will cost me the same. Depending on how soon it comes back into stock, I'll quite possibly buy one of those unless a comparable deal comes along on a 680.

Also, although $449 is a killer price on a 7970, I'd spend the extra cash and buy this non-reference Sapphire instead. With MIR it's only $10 more. Without rebate it's $20.

Edit: Also, the Sapphire was given kudos and a Silver Award here at the [H] just over a week ago when the price was $580. With it now having dropped by $110 (no, that's not a misprint, one-hundred ten dollars you read it right), I'd say it's a no-brainer for gaming. For people who need Nvidia for GPU computing etc, this card won't be of interest. But for gamers seeking a high-end card, this is as good of a deal as you're likely to find anytime soon.

Last edited:
Back