HIS 4870 $193 after MIR

only 512MB. the memory is not shared, rather it is mirrored so that both cards have exactly the same data in memory.
That sucks. I know 512mb of VRAM is enough for today's games but I at least want to make sure my card has enough VRAM for next years hottest titles.

My advice... upgrade to a 1GB card only when it makes sense to do so... until then, enjoy the heck outta this card, it will rock.

That sucks. I know 512mb of VRAM is enough for today's games but I at least want to make sure my card has enough VRAM for next years hottest titles.
why? next year there will be newer cards out at the same price point that will be stronger and probably come standard with 1024mb. if you are gaming at 1680 or lower than you should be fine for quite a while. also there should be a 4870 1gb model out soon.

4870X2, should be faster than two 4870's in CF and would be a big improvement on a 4850 when gaming at 19x12 or higher.

i'm gaming at 1920*1200 so what is ur suggestion?
4870x2 will give you everything you need and more. the $469 deal at Best Buy is great but wont last long. in September there will be a 4850x2 for $399. if you wont something now then I would jump on the Best Buy deal.

is this a significant improvement over the 4850 for a 1920x1200 resolution?
yes. does anybody take time to do any research on their own anymore? lol. video cards are reviewed to death and taking just a few minutes to google it will get you all the info you need. ;)

definitely in on this. I was planning on getting this later down when it dropped to around $200, didn't know it would come this soon though.

$80 more than what? use the quote button if you are replying to someone.

sorry i mean 4870x2 @ best buy is $470 but this one is $193x2 = $396 so 2 of these is 80 cheaper than bestbuy deal i'm just asking which one should i buy

sorry for misleading

sorry i mean 4870x2 @ best buy is $470 but this one is $193x2 = $396 so 2 of these is 80 cheaper than bestbuy deal i'm just asking which one should i buy

sorry for misleading
well this 4870 deal could be a pricing error but the deal at Best Buy is definitely real. also the 4870x2 will give you a full 1024mb to use where if you have two 4870 512mb cards it will only give you 512mb of usable vram. for 1920 or higher the 4870x2 is the better deal.

why? next year there will be newer cards out at the same price point that will be stronger and probably come standard with 1024mb. if you are gaming at 1680 or lower than you should be fine for quite a while. also there should be a 4870 1gb model out soon.
When I build a computer, I usually ride out the parts as long as I can. I don't have an ebay account to sell off the parts that I no longer want.

When I build a computer, I usually ride out the parts as long as I can. I don't have an ebay account to sell off the parts that I no longer want.
overspending for future games is downright wasteful and silly. for example spending $500 on a video card at 1440 would be stupid because a $200 card will get the job done. by the time a game comes out that will tax a $500 video card at 1440 another $200 video card will be out that will kick its ass. it only makes sense to get a video card that can easily handle everything you want to play now with a little extra wiggle room and then upgrade when you need. thats much cheaper then spending a shit load of money that will get you nothing currently and then a horribly depreciated card when the next gen comes out.

overspending for future games is downright wasteful and silly. for example spending $500 on a video card at 1440 would be stupid because a $200 card will get the job done. by the time a game comes out that will tax a $500 video card at 1440 another $200 video card will be out that will kick its ass. it only makes sense to get a video card that can easily handle everything you want to play now with a little extra wiggle room and then upgrade when you need. thats much cheaper then spending a shit load of money that will get you nothing currently and then a horribly depreciated card when the next gen comes out.
I have a CRT that outputs a resolution of 2048x1536. I'm sure 1GB of ram will come in handy. I plan on purchasing an X2 either in September or early October so the 4870x2 should be under 500 dollars by then.

I have a CRT that outputs a resolution of 2048x1536. I'm sure 1GB of ram will come in handy. I plan on purchasing an X2 either in September or early October so the 4870x2 should be under 500 dollars by then.

I'd upgrade my mobo and cpu first if I were you...that cpu is bottlenecking the 4850 more than you understand, it would be a shame to put a 4870X2 in that system

So I guess by tommorow we should know if this is a pricing error or not? It's so damn tempting I might just get one but I want to make sure its legit before I do.

I'd upgrade my mobo and cpu first if I were you...that cpu is bottlenecking the 4850 more than you understand, it would be a shame to put a 4870X2 in that system
LoL! I'm building a new rig with an X2 in mind. My current rig has no problem running any game so I don't consider my CPU to be a huge bottleneck.

LoL! I'm building a new rig with an X2 in mind. My current rig has no problem running any game so I don't consider my CPU to be a huge bottleneck.
so what is your idea for the new build because you need something really nice for the 4870x2 to be worth it?

so what is your idea for the new build because you need something really nice for the 4870x2 to be worth it?
I want to destroy Crysis Warhead, COD World @ War and Far Cry 2. Either building a Core 2 Quad or a Core i7 CPU based PC.

Damn, Makes me kind of regret buying my 4850 early into the game...... Bought mine for 170AR :C. Hot damn I think I might just sell my card and get the 4870.

1 [PW] HIS ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB DDR5 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express Video Card HIS-4870 $213.13 $213.13
Sub Total $213.13
Tax $16.52

Shipment method: UPS Ground Shipping & Handling $0.00

Total $229.65

Damn you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so get an ebay account. or craig's list. or here on the for sale. i have sold 4 motherboards, 6 cpu's 4 video cards and some ram in the last 4 months on the fs/ft here. quickly and for good prices. just take care of your stuff and dont run the piss out of it.

what kind of warranty does HIS have?

the pics I saw of this card on one sight showed that its a heatpipe cooler.
Anyone confirm?

Just got the backordered on BB x2 deal...just like all the other pre orders they do.
yep my card was charged

Pulled the trigger just so that my son will be the lucky recipient of my current 8800GTS. I hope my wife understands my altruistic motives. :D

Thanks for the deal. Now with any luck I can sell my 8800GTX for a decent price and cover the majority of this upgrade.

Back