Hints of the GTX490, 375W TDP

Who stresses their video card for 720 hours a month? None of us. Who stress their video card 100 hours a month? Probably not a single one of us.

FYI, there is a subforum of people here dedicated to stressing their video cards 100% for months at a time - its called Folding@Home :p

So yes, there are people here that stress there video card for 720 hours a month - quite a number of people, actually.

^

i don't think many people with GTX 490s will be able to stand the power use/heat/noise of running them 24/7 for folding

It costs eight cents per kilowatt hour, in Kansas City. 100kWh = $8. If you 100% stressed your 375W video card twenty four hours a day for thirty days, you would be stuck with a WHOPPING $21.60 bill. >.>

Who stresses their video card for 720 hours a month? None of us. Who stress their video card 100 hours a month? Probably not a single one of us. What are the chances of any of us paying even five dollars to power our 375W video cards? Slim to none. All this talk about electricity is ridiculous. Now heat... that's something worth talking about.

Actually, you should use the difference between this card and a 5970 which is only 75Watts. Bring that inline with a reasonable assumption of gaming from 7pm till midnight 6 days a week and you get ~130 hours a month which translates to less than a dollar a month difference between this and a 5970.

FYI, there is a subforum of people here dedicated to stressing their video cards 100% for months at a time - its called Folding@Home :p

So yes, there are people here that stress there video card for 720 hours a month - quite a number of people, actually.

that's their choice :p but still, the difference of 300 to 375w isn't much in terms of $$ / month

The problem is, if this card IS 2 x 465s , then it should fall below/behind the 5970

Really, all that should matter is kwh per work unit in folding / boinc.

Bring on the benchmarks, this is the only way to decide.

Actually, you should use the difference between this card and a 5970 which is only 75Watts. Bring that inline with a reasonable assumption of gaming from 7pm till midnight 6 days a week and you get ~130 hours a month which translates to less than a dollar a month difference between this and a 5970.

Depends on what you are doing. The 5970 has a 300w TDP whereas the GTX 480 has a TDP of 250w. However, the GTX 480 consistently uses *more* power than the 5970. For example, the 5970 hits 300w under Furmark, whereas the GTX 480 hits 320w under Furmark. TechPowerUp found the average power draw during gaming to be 178w for the 5970 vs. 223w for the GTX 480 (with peaks of 211w and 257w, respectively).

So if Nvidia continues its new trend of listing the TDP more of an average under gaming loads, and not the maximum, the difference between the GTX 490 and 5970 will likely be higher than 75w. If the GTX 490 uses 125w more than the GTX 480, that would be 150+w more than the 5970.

Everyone around here has A/C and I'm in Canada too (Southern Quebec) Then again we also have the lowest KW/H rate in North America so I'm sure that helps too.

If you can sit and use your computer while it's over 30c in your room well hats off to you but I'll spend my $$ on comfort.

Now bring on the GTX 490 pics ;)

Maybe nvidia will just go external course then you would need an external PCI-E connector.

HARDOCP EXCLUSIVE, FIRST IMAGES OF GTX490 COOLING:
gtx490.jpg

It looks like they've solved the noise and temperature problems! 3500 watts for cooling may sound like a lot to you peasants, but at $0.09/kWh that's only 32 cents per hour... so deal.

Last edited:
HARDOCP EXCLUSIVE, FIRST IMAGES OF GTX490 COOLING:
gtx490.jpg

It looks like they've solved the noise and temperature problems! 3500 watts for cooling may sound like a lot to you peasants, but at $0.09/kWh that's only 32 cents per hour... so deal.

LOL, that just about sums it up. I think that GTX 490 might have to be based on dual G104 architecture because G100 is just too hot and power hungry. But in that case, I wouldn't see much point in buying it because I don't see how the 490 (2x G104) would be able outperform a 5970 (2x Cypress).

very nice :) I wonder what kind of performance it'll put out (and how much it'll cost)

Anyone check out the PCB layout? How in Christ are they going to cool that? I'm thinking 3-slotter anyway. Thanks for the pics IRSmurf.

Did anyone else notice the THREE DVI CONNECTORS? Sounds to me like we will have 3D Vision Surround off one card!

I'm very interested in how they're going to cool it, too. I can't wait to see the quad-sli setups. :-D

I'm very excited about having two 470's on one pcb, given that they perform as well as 470's in two pcb SLI.

470 SLI reviews are generally favorable:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3...eforce_gtx_470s_in_sli_overclocked/index.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-2-3-way-sli-review/
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24263

Anyone check out the PCB layout? How in Christ are they going to cool that?

probably something similar to the single PCB gtx295 where the sink runs the whole length of the card with a fan in the center

EVGA_GeForce_GTX_295_CO-OP_FTW_01.jpg

Did anyone else notice the THREE DVI CONNECTORS? Sounds to me like we will have 3D Vision Surround off one card!

I saw. It's still going to cost more than it would to just get a 5970, and *gasp* run hot and loud.

I saw. It's still going to cost more than it would to just get a 5970, and *gasp* run hot and loud.

No one knows the prices, yet, and I'm betting the card isn't going to go much north of $700. I mean, NV could live of to it's reputation and go bat-guano-crazy releasing it for a $100 premium, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

It will be hot, it will be loud, but I'm betting that outside of ATi's mainstays of BFBC2 and AvP, the pseudo-sli-470 will be the better performer.

I hope NVIDIA doesn't read this: If this card supports 3D Vision Surround, I'm selling my GTX 480 and picking one of these up. Gone is the terror of buying another $500 card and a $200 power supply upgrade.

Interesting that the cooling solution isn't being shown off. Might be a sign that they are having a hard time cooling the card. :eek: It will be interesting to see if this comes to market. I remember seeing several dual GPU video cards in the past that never made it to market. Also notice how the PCB is taller that the bracket. The thing is as long at the 5970 and almost an inch taller. It also looks to contain enough power circuitry to put most overclocker motherboards down. If the thing ever comes out, it will be a beast.

No one knows the prices, yet, and I'm betting the card isn't going to go much north of $700. I mean, NV could live of to it's reputation and go bat-guano-crazy releasing it for a $100 premium, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

It will be hot, it will be loud, but I'm betting that outside of ATi's mainstays of BFBC2 and AvP, the pseudo-sli-470 will be the better performer.

I hope NVIDIA doesn't read this: If this card supports 3D Vision Surround, I'm selling my GTX 480 and picking one of these up. Gone is the terror of buying another $500 card and a $200 power supply upgrade.

Isn't going to go much north of $700? Due to the presumed limited availability of such cards, the likelihood of failure due to heat/power envelope, I would be surprised to see such a card go under $899. 3D Vision surround is probably the only reason I could envision buying one of these -- a couple of 5870s would be far cheaper and better performers.

i think they price it @ 800. though it be more like 400+w with gaming load. maybe 450+ with 3d surround. if the cores aren't downclocked

Yup. Nvidia claimed the GTX295 will also be able to run 3D Vision Surround with a single card (it has three video outputs as well), hopefully this is the same way.

Back