Hilarious- Pirates Foiled by Deliberate Glitch in Batman: Arkham Asylum

paco16

Limp Gawd
I read this on DailyTech today. Funny stuff! I could live with this type of DRM!

I read the Rules... I don't think this is against them. Please let me know b4 banning if that's the case. :D

I'd much rather see the likes of this vs. DRM or any other means that punishes legitimate buyers.

sorry for second thread all... I screwed that one up royally. Am I even able to delete a thread I just made?

crud.... even searched for it.

Edit: So I've pretty much failed in life for the last 30 minutes... At least it's Friday...

Don't worry my day has been full of fail too. I decide to wear a white t-shirt to work only to spill coffee on it and then have a toner cartridge puke on me....

This is commonly done now.

Crysis Warhead punked pirates by having the guns shoot chickens instead of bullets when you got to a certain level. Mirror's Edge had the game get stuck in permanent slow-mo so it would be impossible/annoying to play.

What else am I missing?

hehe this made me chuckle:

An Edios admin going by Keir responded to the thread before it was closed writing, "The problem you have encountered is a hook in the copy protection, to catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free. It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code."

Crysis Warhead punked pirates by having the guns shoot chickens instead of bullets when you got to a certain level. Mirror's Edge had the game get stuck in permanent slow-mo so it would be impossible/annoying to play.

What else am I missing?

I know that Simcopter would make the helicopters nearly unmanueverable if cracked. Apparently this isn't a new technique.

Mass Effect had glitches like this as well when using a no cd crack. It was pure comedy watching the forums and seeing people complain about their cracked copy not working properly.

What else am I missing?
GTA IV, permanent drunk-cam.

OP wasn't sure if subject was ok. It is. (Talking about a gaming related news story, drm, etc..is fine. The advocating of piracy is not.)

The second part, is that the OP had a dupe thread. I closed it.

Mass Effect had glitches like this as well when using a no cd crack. It was pure comedy watching the forums and seeing people complain about their cracked copy not working properly.

haha, mass effect had glitches with my retail copy

Its hard to tell if this is legit or not. Crackers who actually edit the exes usually look for this sort of thing. It's often best to remember that the crackers aren't kiddies looking to beat the establishment and let everyone have free games, they're often just doing it for the challenge and the recognition of their peers. So cracking a game well, such that there is no difference between the original and the cracked copy is important. Any pirates getting caught out by this are simply using bad cracks..

It will be interesting to see if the scene has anything to say about this, if developers are essentially trying to shame users and cover up legitimate bugs the scene will find out and expose it, just like they exposed developers who had bugs with their copy protection releasing updated exes to fix the problem that turned out to be scene cracks xD

yes it was legit. but it only took all of about 15 hours for them to get around it -

first pre: 2009-09-03 02:06
crackfix: 2009-09-03 17:21

street date: 2009-09-15

don't get me wrong I'm not gloating about anything, just passing along some interesting info. people write about clever drm, and "score one for teh good guys", but don't mention about how it triggers for legit users, after the "pirates" have got their clean drm-free executables. they pick random forum posts from idiot kids that are not mentally mature enough to understand the difference between "legal" and "illegal" software since it's all so easily accessible. the end result is just a pr stunt to make casual downloaders look stupid, and publishers seem on top of things. when the only ones who really have to deal with this "clever drm" are customers, and ignorant pirates who downloaded the game within that 15 hour window.

I'd much rather see the likes of this vs. DRM or any other means that punishes legitimate buyers.

Your argument is flawed. DRMs don't deliberately punish legitimate buyers, they do it by accident. There is absolutely no reason why this DRM couldn't accidentally punish a legitimate buyer of the game with a broken glide mechanic after the game comes out. It is potentially as imperfect a system as the other DRM options.

Your argument is flawed. DRMs don't deliberately punish legitimate buyers, they do it by accident. There is absolutely no reason why this DRM couldn't accidentally punish a legitimate buyer of the game with a broken glide mechanic after the game comes out. It is potentially as imperfect a system as the other DRM options.

I am with this. what happens 18 months down the road when people pull the game off their shelf, install a no cd crack so they don't have to deal with the disc... then the game's glide is broken rendering the game unplayable instead of just informing them of the problem.

this whole process can definitely backfire. the titan quest devs tried a bunch of clever stuff to mess with pirates. 'clever' stuff like just making the game crash at random times to punish people. what happened was some forums became completely littered with people complaining that the game was broken. people that would have normally bought the game avoided it like the plague since it seemed like no one had success getting the game to work correctly. the devs said nothing until it was too late, the damage was already done and sales suffered.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

There is another spot you can't get around too. Swim told me. The grapple won't go to its intended target and just shoots you through the wall.

I find this surprising. Mass Effect doesn't require the DVD to be in the drive to be played.

Its hard to tell if this is legit or not. Crackers who actually edit the exes usually look for this sort of thing. It's often best to remember that the crackers aren't kiddies looking to beat the establishment and let everyone have free games, they're often just doing it for the challenge and the recognition of their peers. So cracking a game well, such that there is no difference between the original and the cracked copy is important. Any pirates getting caught out by this are simply using bad cracks..

It will be interesting to see if the scene has anything to say about this, if developers are essentially trying to shame users and cover up legitimate bugs the scene will find out and expose it, just like they exposed developers who had bugs with their copy protection releasing updated exes to fix the problem that turned out to be scene cracks xD

Actually the scene DOES fix this things eventually but they are competitive factions that try to be first to release something for "cred". The first releases are usually sloppy patches and cracks and that's where you encounter these mostly. Then these releases get nuked and replaced with better ones down the road.

What else am I missing?

assisins creed ran like shit if you pirated it too. i know, becuase i wanted to give the game a good feel before i decided anything. i couldnt tell shit because it ran so bad, so i bought the game, it ran fantastic but the game itself turned out to be very dull on the inside. they got my money though so they win. its not like it should be fair or anything- where one party makes a good product and the other pays fairly. no, it needs to be one party making as much shit as they can and hoping enough idiots will buy it at full price so you can design next year's wave of new junk.

assisins creed ran like shit if you pirated it too. i know, becuase i wanted to give the game a good feel before i decided anything. i couldnt tell shit because it ran so bad, so i bought the game, it ran fantastic but the game itself turned out to be very dull on the inside. they got my money though so they win. its not like it should be fair or anything- where one party makes a good product and the other pays fairly. no, it needs to be one party making as much shit as they can and hoping enough idiots will buy it at full price so you can design next year's wave of new junk.

Quality is highly subjective. A lot of people seemed to have enjoyed Assassin's Creed. I did, to a point. What you are saying is "everyone should make games that appeal to me" instead of making a wide variety of different titles. No one ever sets out to make a bad game, or even make ones like AC or FC2 that are nowhere near as good as the deserve to be.

Last edited:
Its a clever idea what they did but they did the same thing with the camera in gta4 and it got cracked easily. Everyone uses cracks for their legit games to remove that insert a cd now message. Theres no real point is putting protection like that into their games when everyone downloads their games from professional hacking teams. This only stops those guys on the streets mostly selling burned copies. You know these hacking teams actually compete to get the first cracks and games out first. No doubt anything can be cracked. All games just need is cdkey protection. To me they could have spent more time fixing up the game.

Maybe funny for the 2 or 3 people they catch with tricks like this, but any proper crack won't have this issue...

Companies just don't get it, DRM is stupid and pointless, in any form.

this whole process can definitely backfire. the titan quest devs tried a bunch of clever stuff to mess with pirates. 'clever' stuff like just making the game crash at random times to punish people. what happened was some forums became completely littered with people complaining that the game was broken. people that would have normally bought the game avoided it like the plague since it seemed like no one had success getting the game to work correctly. the devs said nothing until it was too late, the damage was already done and sales suffered.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

That's an important point I think developers forget. You don't actually *get* anything by making the game buggy if someone tries to pirate it, but you may actually lose out on potential sales. I know I avoided Mass Effect because of bugs; Were they pirated-copy related? Who knows, but they kept me from buying(not from playing) the game.

Bugging leaked copies is perhaps useful for tracking a leak. But otherwise I can see where it really won't be an impediment past days or hours once its revealed.

There's also the possibility someone who has a legitimate glitch because they have some weird configuration or simply poor performing hardware, gets stamped a pirate when they are not. Not the best way to treat a customer.

I find this surprising. Mass Effect doesn't require the DVD to be in the drive to be played.

I could be wrong about it being a no cd crack but the pirated versions required a crack and they had numerous issues in the beginning like the galaxy map not working and problems with guns overheating and not cooling down.

Don't forget GTA IV had the permanent drunk cam, these glitches usually get fixed within a couple of weeks with proper cracks

Back