Highest end motherboard with AGP and ISA?

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I already have socket 370 and Slot-A retro systems, and after searching for "higher end" motherboards that have both AGP and ISA slots this is what I am coming up with.

The socket A boards that offer both that I have found are:
Gigabyte GA-7ZX
Biostar M7VKD
Abit KT7-Raid
DFI AK 74AC
Iwill KK266
Chaintech 7AJA2
Abit KT7A
Acorp 7KTA/E1
DFI AK74-SC
EPOX EP-7KXA+
AZZA KT3ABX

There are a couple different socket 478 boards I am seeing as well, but they are stupid expensive.
Soyo SY-P4I845PEISA
Soyo SY-P4I845GVISA
MSI 6551 MS-6571
Advantech AIMB-742
DFI G4V620-B-G G4V622-550a

Anybody know of any others that are either Socket A, Socket 478, or anything higher that offers both AGP and ISA?

This is more me being curious than anything else.

Last edited:
You might be able to find a few industrial class motherboards with AGP and ISA. Industrial boards are ones that end up running machines or robots for factories. The ISA slots prove invaluable since the control boards tend to be much older tech running on ISA because they either don't wear out as quickly, the manufacturers don't update them often, or they are just too damn expensive to replace.

I've seen quite a few that had ISA slots on them. Just google "industrial ATX motherboard" and "ISA". You will find something.

Here's one with an H81 chipset and will accept Haswell Core iX processors.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/news/NewsDeta...6B3F1BD9D3AE734D6678CCADC578.node1?press=3764

You might be able to find a few industrial class motherboards with AGP and ISA. Industrial boards are ones that end up running machines or robots for factories. The ISA slots prove invaluable since the control boards tend to be much older tech running on ISA because they either don't wear out as quickly, the manufacturers don't update them often, or they are just too damn expensive to replace.

I've seen quite a few that had ISA slots on them. Just google "industrial ATX motherboard" and "ISA". You will find something.

Here's one with an H81 chipset and will accept Haswell Core iX processors.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/news/NewsDeta...6B3F1BD9D3AE734D6678CCADC578.node1?press=3764

Yeah, I did a search, but not able to find any with AGP and ISA.

I have an AGP ATI 9800 Pro and a Voodoo 5-5500 for video cards.
The sound card in one of them is an ISA Sound Blaster AWE-64 Gold!

I have a KT7a v1.3 and it is a pretty nice board. It is running a Axp 2400+ and 1.5 gb of mem. I maybe biased here but it gets my vote.

I still have a EPOX 845G board [EP4G4A+] still kicking. It came with a 4 channel built in highpoint raid chip, never used it though in raid, just for extra PATA drives.
It has been solid which is surprising since all the caps except the 2 main are Sanyo, the main by the 20pin are Teapo and are known to be junk.

It was considered fairly high end for the time.

EPOX has long gone out of business, not that a board that old would have any warranty left regardless.

I also have one Abit BH7 socket 478 I am not really using anymore.
Has a 1 channel built in SATA1, all Rubycon caps. It has been 100% solid with a stock 2.4 P4.

Last edited:
I sold a 'then' high end Asus P2B DS board with matched Pentium's in it's original box last year on ebay for a bit over $210. Only 4 crazy bidders were on the auction, all serious tech collectors.

I had a stash of 478 boards some of which were fairly upper end models from 2002-2005 period some of which had ISA's and well regarded. Threw most out, think I have few left otherwise would've helped you with that list.

KT7E also has ISA and AGP.
Painfully slow of course compared to something modern.
A pic of the still working but not using rig I built my brother 12+ years ago.

27xh2xe.jpg

Really curious. What's with the isa slot, and why do you NEED AGP?

Is the software you're trying to run really that picky? Why is it that picky?

I still use a Shuttle that is S939 and has an AGP.:D

Runs an FX-53 and a 680 GT.
If it wasn't for the limited memory capacity it would probably be very capable, even today.

I still use a Shuttle that is S939 and has an AGP.:D

Runs an FX-53 and a 680 GT.
If it wasn't for the limited memory capacity it would probably be very capable, even today.

The Shuttle Ak31 board was the board i used. In my old 939 rig. I had access to choose any of the available boards, and it was the one I felt the best about. The KT7-E was a close second. There are certain perks of being a hardware reviewer and well that's one of them :)

Man, this makes me homesick for old tech.
I noticed awhile ago ancient stuff was getting overly spendy for what it was, figured someone
had to be collecting. I wanted another old dual slot 1 or slot 2 Supermicro motherboard
for kicks.

VL-Buss... caching IDE controllers... mmm...

What a blast from the past. I wish I'd have hung onto my 2 new P2B-DS boards instead of junking them with my last move!

What a blast from the past. I wish I'd have hung onto my 2 new P2B-DS boards instead of junking them with my last move!

Yeah one of the sorted after models for collectors it seem's from my last auction (and 1 sold on ebay.de for about 90 euros).

Ok, so I think I figured out the best motherboard/CPU combo that will allow me to run my Voodoo 5-5500 and SB Awe64.

After a bunch of research I found out that an Abit KT7A can run Barton Athlon XP CPUs.

I even found a modded BIOS that allows it to detect the Barton CPUs properly.

And to top it off, I should be able to sell my S370 and Slot-A hardware for more than the Socket A stuff costs.

Besides games, this retro machine will also be used for hooking up my dumpster find Yamaha DX7II-FD keyboard as well as an old Parallel port Midi controller.

So I have on the way:
Abit KT7A and Athlon XP 2800+ - this is going to be a "screamer". It has been years since I had one of these boards.
Gigabyte GA-7ZX and Athlon 1.2Ghz.

I was looking up reviews of Socket A stuff as well. I find is very funny that good SATA III SSDs have almost as high of throughput as good PC-133 SDRAM.

I will be hooking up an SSD to the KT7A system. BWAHAHAHAHA.

isa thinksa usa crazy

jar_jar_binks_large1.jpeg

I never said I wasn't. :D

The KT7A arrived as well as the 2800+. Unfortunately, the 2800+ is dead as confirmed by a board that officially supports it.

I got a 2700+ from a family member, but only 256k L2 instead of the 512k of the Barton, but it looks like it is good up to around 2.4Ghz.
Tbred highest model released was a 3100+ @ 2.2Ghz @ 200FSB
The highest stock clocked Tbred was a 2800+ @ 2.25Ghz @ 166FSB

Have another Barton on the way, so we shall see if the board will take it.
Edit: Just realized the 2500+ I have on the way is the low voltage (mobile) version which is supposed to clock a bit higher than the regular one. Looks like reviewers were able to get it up around 2.6Ghz.
I am guessing it will be limited to around 2.4Ghz on my board though unless the weird multiplier stability issue at 133Mhz or higher FSB is not there with this chip.
/Edit

Oh, and it looks like the only bad thing about those modified BIOSes I mentioned earlier is that they may not work with CPUs other than the types specified as I was not able to get it to POST with the Athlon 1.2, and ended up having to use a TYAN S1854 to hot flash it back to the stock BIOS.

Last edited:
I have a kt7-raid on my wall. I read the question, looked for, and was surprised to see not only that I had one, but you already had it listed! oh well. lol. I'm glad I got to skim my collection today.

If you want to scale back to even more obscure, slot 1 platform had both as well:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/431

Last edited:
I have a kt7-raid on my wall. I read the question, looked for, and was surprised to see not only that I had one, but you already had it listed! oh well. lol. I'm glad I got to skim my collection today.

If you want to scale back to even more obscure, slot 1 platform had both as well:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/431

I've actually got a Slot A board(Asus K7M) and a Slot 1/Socket 370 board(Tyan S1854) that both have AGP and ISA.

Both support faster processors than the Slot 1 platform ever did. Slot 1 could come close with a Slotcket, but still slower.

I was going for the absolute fastest supported processor, which is why I decided to go Socket A.

That H81 board with ISA is *scary*, man!

Maybe slightly off topic, didn't they make a PCI / PCIe to ISA adapter, and a USB one? Or am I making that up?

A retro sub forum would be nice, I still have a box of ISA cards

Somewhat off topic, but a retro sub forum would be a great addition......then I could talk about my newest system.....see sig! :D

I have more fun building retro rigs these days as I find older games and hardware much more interesting then the current stuff.....I must be getting old. :confused:

I just put the finishing touches on the restoration of a 1994 HP Vectra N2 with a 486 DX4-100, 32MB, Sound Blaster Pro, DOS 6.22 system and having a blast with all the great games from the mid-90s. Currently playing System Shock!

Last edited:
I have no valuable input for this thread but when you get it running, post pics!

I have no valuable input for this thread but when you get it running, post pics!

I had kinda forgot about this thread.

Anyway, the system I put together has been finished for a while. I'll take some pics sometime this week and post them.

I had this board,
p4p800se.jpg

edit: it's been so long, I thought the bottom black thing was the ISA slot. that is the WIFI port

the board I had right before this one had an ISA slot. I had a Soundblaster card that I couldn't use with the P4P800SE, I think it was an AWE64 Gold card.

Last edited:
Back