High utilization Low bandwith

bekax5

Limp Gawd
Hello guys,

I am with a strange behaviour on the newtork.
Two Giga NICs on a server

2nd NIC is bind to virtual machine

So the virtual machine runs XP and has a torrent software.
I used the Windows share to access the main OS's share so it would verify a torrent.

I am having both NIC's utilization around 40-45%
If I check the NIC status it count's around 40-45 MB/s of throughput

But when checking the resource monitor, Disk usage is around 3 Mbit/s and also Network is around 3 Mbit/s

I attach an image:

teh_chem

[H]ard|Gawd
So what is the apparent problem? Are you wondering why your NIC shows high throughput, but your HDD isn't showing equal read/write throughput?

What system is that screenshot of resource monitor from? Your VM, or your physical installation? What hard drives are allocated to the VM? I might be a bit slow here, but I can't put together quite what you're doing, or what it is you think should be happening.

bekax5

Limp Gawd
This image if from the physical installation.
I was copying a movie from Physical to Virtual, and the 1GB NICs were showing 40% usage.
However as you can check in the picture only 410 KB/s were being used on the HDD (40% usage is about 40MB/s on the NIC !!)

I just checked with iperf on both machines and the Virtual seems to have some kind of problem because it has10 Mbits/s troughput and 100% CPU usage both with gigabit NICs.
Not sure how to debug the issue...

bekax5

Limp Gawd
How can I find the wrong configuration is ??

I am getting between 5 - 12 Mbits/s throughput on a Gigabit NIC and huge CPU usage.
This is a Windows XP Pro Virtual Machine under VMWare Server.

bekax5

Limp Gawd
With iperf:

TCP:
iperf -c server -t 60 -i 5 -w 2m
11.9 Mbits/s

UDP:
iperf -c server -t 60 -i 5 -u -b 1g
238 Mbits/s

Something's really wrong...