High throughput capable wireless routers?

SomeFknGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
At my friend's house, we have run into a problem. We commonly have little lan get-togethers and have fried 3 routers... The routers start out ok, then after 3 or so weeks of being tortured, begin to fail out. We have gone through a d-link gaming router, a netgear n router, and are now on a failing belkin n router. We are looking for a router capable of both high internal transfer capability as well as good latency times as we mostly do alot of gaming. We have between 5 and 7 machines connecting to it over wireless and two machines connecting wired. Any help or recommendation much appreciated.

more machines hardwired to the router's built in switch would alleviate some of your latency concerns. i'm sure if you have folks connecting @ N speeds its nice and fast but anything past maybe like 4-5 clients on consumer grade APs its going to start choking.

best thing to do would be get a switch, uplink the router so it can do DHCP and internet gateway and have everyone hardwire into the switch that way none of the lan traffic ever leaves one device/switch. a 16 port gigabit isnt terribly expensive anymore as long as you shop around, if price is truly a concern 10/100Mb switches are even more affordable and should be able to handle lan gaming granted you dont get everyone file swapping during the game sessions.

The problem with that comes into placement... we have people with laptops strewn all about the house...running cables isnt an option...

Sounds like you're frying the radios First check if there's any temperature issues where you place the router. You may just be overheating it till it cooks. If isn't that then youll need a higher grade router..

The router itself is sitting on the top of a shelf away from heat sources...we are actually looking for a higher grade router...just not sure what to look for...hence the reason i started the thread :)

Sounds like you're frying the radios First check if there's any temperature issues where you place the router. You may just be overheating it till it cooks. If isn't that then youll need a higher grade router..

If it's overheating, you may want to aim a fan at it during the lan parties to keep it cool. Or, if you feel like tinkering, you could open it up and install better heat sinks and a fan.

At my friend's house, we have run into a problem. We commonly have little lan get-togethers and have fried 3 routers... The routers start out ok, then after 3 or so weeks of being tortured, begin to fail out. We have gone through a d-link gaming router, a netgear n router, and are now on a failing belkin n router. We are looking for a router capable of both high internal transfer capability as well as good latency times as we mostly do alot of gaming. We have between 5 and 7 machines connecting to it over wireless and two machines connecting wired. Any help or recommendation much appreciated.

Your best bet is to get a table some place and get as many people wired in as possible.

If you can't do that, then maybe start checking ebay for good deals on a cisco enterprise AP or split users onto different consumer routers (different SSID's, different channels)

My Linksys WRT54G overheats from time to time. My only solution was to cool it with the huge fan at the top of my Antec Twelve Hundred... solved all my problems.

Earlier this week I ordered TrendNET's top of the line dual band N router, dual band N USB adapter, and N gaming adapter... I'll let you know how that works out.

Back