High temperatures on Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti waterforce

G3vO.gif

Seriously, going to need more details.

Reactions: ODY
like this
Fake card! Probably a 760 or something like that. The BIOS has been modified so that the system thinks it is a 1080TI and it is pushing too much electricity into it. Just turn down the electricity and you should be fine.

View attachment 234459

Seriously, going to need more details.
Hello guys! I have a problem with my Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti waterforce, it is warming too much and too fast(actually this is what I think because I am not a pc expert). The most certain thing is the GPU gets temperatures around 90 degrees Celsius(this was the highest value that I could take). This is happening only when I play games, but is happening in any kind of game, from Cs:Go to Hitman 2. I should mention my LG monitor has a 2160x1080p(2k) and in this resolution I run every game. So because of this high temperatures I have lag, but the lag comes after very high temperature maybe a little bit over 90 degrees. At this temperature the cooler is getting crazy and is running with 3000 RPM or around it. I have this GPU for 1 year and a half and I never changed the thermoconductive paste and I never cleaned the dust from it. If I should change the paste what kind of paste should I use? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

High temperatures on Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti waterforce
Hello guys! I have a problem with my Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti waterforce, it is warming too much and too fast(actually this is what I think because I am not a pc expert). The most certain thing is the GPU gets temperatures around 90 degrees Celsius(this was the highest value that I could take). This is happening only when I play games, but is happening in any kind of game, from Cs:Go to Hitman 2. I should mention my LG monitor has a 2160x1080p(2k) and in this resolution I run every game. So because of this high temperatures I have lag, but the lag comes after very high temperature maybe a little bit over 90 degrees. At this temperature the cooler is getting crazy and is running with 3000 RPM or around it. I have this GPU for 1 year and a half and I never changed the thermoconductive paste and I never cleaned the dust from it. If I should change the paste what kind of paste should I use? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

My immediate thought if it's getting that hot is that the pump failed. Do you hear any noise coming from the video card? Do you hear any noise in the lines leading to the radiator?

Last edited:
I had a whole post typed out under the assumption that you have the card with the EK waterblock on it, and then realized you probably have the CLC version.

I agree with Armenius,it's probably that the pump isn't pumping. If you can monitor the pump speed like Corsair's CLCs do, see if it's running. If you can't, you can use a screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen to it.

If the pump really isn't turning, you'll need to replace that CLC. I suspect you can use just about any Asetek-made CLC.

like this
I don't know about that. I suspect that the solution was made specifically for this application.
View attachment 234573

GN did a teardown of the standard 1080 version in which it does look like it is a custom design from Cooler Master.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2609-gigabyte-1080-xtreme-water-force-tear-down
Wow, seriously? That seems like an awful lot of effort for what is surely a low production part.

Better hope it's still under warranty, if it really is the pump...

RMA it if possible. If not I agree with the others, failed (or failing) pump most likely.
But first make sure it actually is the pump. It's possible there's something else going on, like a loose mounting screw that's letting the pump block thing come loose from the die, or just dried out thermal grease.

A good way to check, if you can't actually get a reading for the pump RPM, is to put one end of a screwdriver up against the pump body, and listen to the other end with your ear. If the pump is running, you'll be able to hear it. Note that you may have to pull the plastic shroud off the card to do this.

like this
My immediate thought if it's getting that hot is that the pump failed. Do you hear any noise coming from the video card? Do you hear any noise in the lines leading to the radiator?
I don't know because when it is so hot the cooler run very very fast and I can't hear something

But first make sure it actually is the pump. It's possible there's something else going on, like a loose mounting screw that's letting the pump block thing come loose from the die, or just dried out thermal grease.

A good way to check, if you can't actually get a reading for the pump RPM, is to put one end of a screwdriver up against the pump body, and listen to the other end with your ear. If the pump is running, you'll be able to hear it. Note that you may have to pull the plastic shroud off the card to do this.
The GPU hasn't been disassembly so I don't think the problem is a screw. And I have it for almost 2 years.

I had a whole post typed out under the assumption that you have the card with the EK waterblock on it, and then realized you probably have the CLC version.

I agree with Armenius,it's probably that the pump isn't pumping. If you can monitor the pump speed like Corsair's CLCs do, see if it's running. If you can't, you can use a screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen to it.

If the pump really isn't turning, you'll need to replace that CLC. I suspect you can use just about any Asetek-made CLC.
Do you know where can I find that kind of asetek-made CLC?

The GPU hasn't been disassembly so I don't think the problem is a screw. And I have it for almost 2 years.
It's unlikely, but it's possible it was loose to begin with. Chances are, it's the pump, but it doesn't hurt to confirm it before you look at dealing with an RMA (a hassle) or repairing the card yourself (also a hassle).

Do the screwdriver thing first, though. If you're not in the US, if you remove the cooler, you may actually void the warranty if you disassemble it.

like this
It's unlikely, but it's possible it was loose to begin with. Chances are, it's the pump, but it doesn't hurt to confirm it before you look at dealing with an RMA (a hassle) or repairing the card yourself (also a hassle).

Do the screwdriver thing first, though. If you're not in the US, if you remove the cooler, you may actually void the warranty if you disassemble it.
But if is not a loose screw, is a problem with the asetek CLC, because is yes I don't know where can I find that kind of CLC.

But if is not a loose screw, is a problem with the asetek CLC, because is yes I don't know where can I find that kind of CLC.
It appears that I was mistaken, and this is one of the few CLCs that is actually not made by Asetek.

Most CLCs are made by Asetek (NZXT, EVGA, Corsair for instance), but yours appears to be one of the few that is made by a different company (Cooler Master in this case). The only source for a replacement is likely to be Gigabyte.

like this
It appears that I was mistaken, and this is one of the few CLCs that is actually not made by Asetek.

Most CLCs are made by Asetek (NZXT, EVGA, Corsair for instance), but yours appears to be one of the few that is made by a different company (Cooler Master in this case). The only source for a replacement is likely to be Gigabyte.
And it is possible to buy that CLC from Gigabyte if I don't have the warranty? I ask because I don't know if I have the warranty because I didn't build pc, someone did it for me, so maybe tomorrow I will ask for it. BTW if I have to send the gpu to a gigabyte service... Where are the gigabyte's services, I mean is possible to send it in other country?

And it is possible to buy that CLC from Gigabyte if I don't have the warranty? I ask because I don't know if I have the warranty because I didn't build pc, someone did it for me, so maybe tomorrow I will ask for it. BTW if I have to send the gpu to a gigabyte service... Where are the gigabyte's services, I mean is possible to send it in other country?
I agree with Razor, you probably have to deal with Gigabyte if you want to get a replacement. The other option you can do if the product is out of warranty is to replace the cooler yourself using NZXT G12 GPU mount and a 120mm AIO cooler or use Raijintek Morpheus II or Accelero Xtreme III if you don't want to deal with AIO anymore.

like this
I agree with Razor, you probably have to deal with Gigabyte if you want to get a replacement. The other option you can do if the product is out of warranty is to replace the cooler yourself using NZXT G12 GPU mount and a 120mm AIO cooler or use Raijintek Morpheus II or Accelero Xtreme III if you don't want to deal with AIO anymore.
What is the best replacement, high end, the price doesn't matter

I've sent Gigabyte products to a service center in California before. If you're not located in North America, though, the place they'd have you send yours is probably not the same one I dealt with.

I'm not sure the NZXT G12 will fit this card. I actually owned one just like it, and it's definitely not a reference design. Investigate this before you buy. I sort of thought the G12 was meant to fit the reference design.

What is the best replacement, high end, the price doesn't matter
Personally, I would go for the Accelero Xtreme III to replace your possible broken AIO as it cools pretty well and is pretty quiet if noise is a concern for you, though you may have clearance issue as the cooler is 288mm in length and 55mm in height.

Personally, I would go for the Accelero Xtreme III to replace your possible broken AIO as it cools pretty well and is pretty quiet if noise is a concern for you, though you may have clearance issue as the cooler is 288mm in length and 55mm in height.
I want something with aio watercooling please

The fans on those things suck, though. I have one that lasted less than a year, and the heatsink itself is freaking HUGE. I'd rather have an AIO too.

I'd go with an EVGA CLC and that NZXT bracket, which I would modify to fit, if I had to. An EK waterblock does exist for this card, though, so one option might be that quasi-AIO that EK sells, plus the water block.

The fans on those things suck, though. I have one that lasted less than a year, and the heatsink itself is freaking HUGE. I'd rather have an AIO too.

I'd go with an EVGA CLC and that NZXT bracket, which I would modify to fit, if I had to. An EK waterblock does exist for this card, though, so one option might be that quasi-AIO that EK sells, plus the water block.
Looking at EK website, it looks like they are discontinuing their Phoenix AIO and just selling the remaining stock with only the 240 radiator core available. I say your suggestion using the NZXT bracket with an EVGA 120mm AIO is probably the best bet.

But guys I don't know if I need that NZXT 12, take a look at my gpu

Look

Attachments

• aorus-geforce-gtx1080-ti-xtreme-edition-04.jpg
    aorus-geforce-gtx1080-ti-xtreme-edition-04.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
  • aorus-geforce-gtx1080-ti-xtreme-edition-17.jpg
    aorus-geforce-gtx1080-ti-xtreme-edition-17.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
Can I put it like the old one? Just remplace it. I think that G12 was made for gpu that doesn't have watercooling already
the g12 uses the standard holes around the core to mount. it will work but youd have to remove all the gigabyte heat sink stuff. otherwise youd have to try and source the oe part or send it to GB for repair/replacement.

the g12 uses the standard holes around the core to mount. it will work but youd have to remove all the gigabyte heat sink stuff. otherwise youd have to try and source the oe part or send it to GB for repair/replacement.

The G12 isn't hard OP, but if you have no idea what you're doing take it to whoever you bought it from and ask them to RMA it.

Back