High School getting rid of linux lab

BioHazard.89

Limp Gawd
So my high school dropped their linux lab project last year and is now giving away all those computers, monitors, keyboards, mice... mostly old ibms, compaqs and toshibas..... I have first dibs on them and plan on sorting through them and keeping a dozen+ good one and starting a small farm downstairs. All of these computers dont have hard drives so I'm probably going for a diskless farm

Anyone have some suggestions about setups or comments that could help me in this project?

Look forward to a small little boost in my folds ;)

For the cause.

AtomicMoose said:
/Smack!
Grab them all and give some away for the cost of shipping. :D

nice idea.

if you end up scrapping some of them, you can keep some of the more valuable parts. Small connectors, etc.

Good luck. Keep us informed of your progress.

look into mage's fold-server for a setup.

And congrats man :)

Will do, Will do. I'll actually send this stuff out for the cost of shipping after i get an inventory...

I've been looking into the faqs and stuff.... Working with my own machines have been fine so far, having F@H running in the back ground but Taking on a (diskless) server farm needs some research done ;)

'Preciate the info guys.

John-Michael

do you have any specs on them? i know you mentioned company names but if they are too slow then i would not bother setting them up.

God_Of_Death said:
do you have any specs on them? i know you mentioned company names but if they are too slow then i would not bother setting them up.

there might be some truth there. Kinda depends on who is paying for the electricity.

Some old machines won't return the WU in a timely fashion.

#7:
I completely understand... I should pick them up this week and I'll look into them deeper..... I've told all I know ;)

I'd say, anything above say a P3 733 or something like that, keep them, set them up and see how much they add. If they're not that productive, scrap them for parts.

I'm afraid the 4 i grabbed the otherday, that looked like the cream of the crop - were Intel Celeron 466's with, all but one didnt have any ram..... I had 2-64mb sticks to split between 4 computers ;)

It's sd ddr ram.... I have 2 sticks of 256 laying 'round and tossed it into one of the systems and it... well flew for booting from Ubuntu's live cd

Should I still keep them? are they worth it?

32X CD Rom, Floppies. 466mhz Procs......

for celerons your really want >= 667's as these are the ones with SSE. Any P3 has SSE too.

they ahh..... kinda suck. I'd say not worth it, if free power and you just want to screw around with a bunch of puters it's all good then,

Just remember -
Hard drives are Great!
I've a linux box running with an 8Gb HD.
I've also got a linux box running on a thumbdrive, because I ran out of hard drives :(
Fold ON!!

filthysanchez said:
you can always donate them to chraity, and use the tax refund to buy some >667 mhz celerons

Ya

tax refunds are always good. Plus someone gets a box that they could use for something.

Back