High Priced Item, USPS Adult Signature a good idea?

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
I maybe selling some higher priced CPU's here and was wondering if USPS's Adult Signature (and/or Restricted Delivery) is a good idea?

I would obviously insure the full value on the package.

Thanks

That's something that needs to be worked out with your buyer. There are no adults home at my house when the mail is delivered, we all work.

some might opt to have it delivered to their job, others may not want to or be able to do that.

For me personally, if I am going to have to do extra work to get an item, Ill get it somewhere else,others may not have a problem with it.

I don't think it helps personally. I almost had a package lost because the delivery person kept ninja knocking on my door then running back to his truck then they couldn't find the package at first. Plus the delivery person will give the package to the first person that offers a signature for it, they don't ID you usually. I've only ever had FedEx ask for my ID and it was one time for an alcohol delivery.

I worry more about getting paid without risk when I sell something expensive, then I do about it being delivered.
There are people here who I would have no problem shipping $1,000 worth of stuff to and they can pay me next week.
For the majority though, anything over $100 and a lot of time i'll only sell if they can pay via USPS Postal Money order, which I cash at the Post Office prior to shipping.

For the shipping part, especially with expensive items, you need to document the condition of the item with photos prior to shipping, pics and screen shots of the cpu/system running, if possible, and make sure you get the serial/batch # of the CPU in the pic.
Part swapping is a real thing (been hit with that )

If it is expensive enough, I even pay extra for the shipper to pack it, as last thing I want is any hassle if I make a claim.
Of course, full insurance and direct signature of the buyer is a requirement as well, and even making sure the buyer and seller have each others number, just in case there is a delivery issue.
It sucks to go to all that hassle and then have the package be undelivered and returned to you after spending all that time, effort and money. (been hit with that too)

Come to think of it, I been hit with a few different scams, but it comes with having a lot of transactions completed over a lot of years.

Thanks guys.

Is it against the rules to ask for PP Friends/Family? I see posts referring to skipping the PP fee. Otherwise, I suppose it could mean using USPS Money Order(s).

Thanks guys.

Is it against the rules to ask for PP Friends/Family? I see posts referring to skipping the PP fee. Otherwise, I suppose it could mean using USPS Money Order(s).

You lose out on any seller protection with PP when you go that route.

You mean they advertise one thing and send you something different?
I almost had a package lost because the delivery person kept ninja knocking on my door then running back to his truck then they couldn't find the package at first.
So what you're saying is that requiring a signature can actually make things worse.

Just be careful with your buyers. If someone has been here a long time they may have dozens of purchases and sells! Even if they aren't all reflected in their HEAT. But if it's someone that is new and you fear they will attempt to claim they never got the package you could consider doing the signature confirmation. It really just comes down to how you feel about each individual you are dealing with. Honestly there is zero 100% safe ways to sell online! Sellers get screwed every day on ebay. It's a buyers market for the most part (unless someone pays with friends and family, thus giving up any of their own protection)

Does a signature help with neighbors or passers by who might steak the package?

How exactly would a neighbor or passer by steal the package?.....I would hope whoever signed for it would bring it inside.

I wasn't clear. I meant that a signature will prevent theft because it won't sit outside very long, unlike a package that gets delivered when no one is home. So it solves one problem. But as HeavensCloud described, requiring a signature can create a new problem. So I guess I am less sure now of whether a signature is a good idea.
How exactly would a neighbor or passer by steal the package?.....I would hope whoever signed for it would bring it inside.

I wasn't clear. I meant that a signature will prevent theft because it won't sit outside very long, unlike a package that gets delivered when no one is home. So it solves one problem. But as HeavensCloud described, requiring a signature can create a new problem. So I guess I am less sure now of whether a signature is a good idea.

Ah, fair enough......:)

You mean they advertise one thing and send you something different?

It happens multiple ways, but here is the one I meant.

I sell you CPU# 1234, you get it, say it is dead, and send it back to me for a refund.
I get back CPU #1235, you get a refund and my working CPU, and I think I just sold a CPU that died during shipment, since I didnt document what CPU # I sent you.

I just sold some stuff, including a CPU, to a great trader who I dealt with multiple times, but I still took a pic of the CPU as part of what I normally do.
Check out my CPU pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx4wd7z5utdvgti/IMG_20170501_213653.jpg?dl=0

I also did it because part swapping could happen during shipment.
(usually with expensive items that are easy to sell, think new iPhones or other expensive electronics)

I know that when I buy something in excess of $1,000+, I like to sign for it, then just throw it back onto the stoop.

Kidding aside, UPS is by far the biggest group of lazy pieces of shit ever. I've seen them toss shit to the door (expensive stuff too), reroute packages to convenience them, etc. The signature crap doesn't do anything either, I wouldn't bother with it. I'd get it insured some other way.

I get that it might be REQUIRED for more expensive shit for liability reasons, but honestly... Look. I'm 23 years old, I work nearly full time, go to college, and sleep whenever possible. Meaning 7 out of 7 days in the week, i'm not home when mail is delivered through almost every carrier due to being busy with something or other. And if I have nothing to do saturday, you bet your ass I'm sleeping until 1pm after getting 4 hours a night at best all week. Signature confirmation is nothing but a pain in the ass, especially with shit that's not even $200. I'll take my business elsewhere if you want to inconvenience me on something small. I'd rather take responsibility for the item and not have to deal with it.

For me it really depends on where and what I am shipping, also for stuff coming to me it depends, if there is a likely hood I am going to be traveling etc I want a signature.

Even with a signature there is no guarantee that a signature stops theft. We had some VERY expensive 40G router blades shipped to us that were insured. The UPS guy delivered it someplace else got a signature and the shipper is suing UPS which is being a big mess. I also shipped a bunch of camera gear last year which I am still in a lawsuit with UPS over.

For the majority though, anything over $100 and a lot of time i'll only sell if they can pay via USPS Postal Money order, which I cash at the Post Office prior to shipping.

Come to think of it, I been hit with a few different scams, but it comes with having a lot of transactions completed over a lot of years.

I'm the same way now. USPS Money Order unless it's a small item I don't care about or I REALLY know who i'm dealing with.

I've had neighbors sign for packages and keep them in the past. Most carriers don't give a crap who signs for anything or even if they live at the delivery address.

Once my wife was having a yard sale and the USPS delivery driver hopped out and handed a package to a random person in my yard, had her sign then drove off even after she advised multiple times she didn't even live here. Luckily I was there to witness the whole thing and she readily handed it over, but she could have easily taken the package away without me knowing had I not been there.

It happens multiple ways, but here is the one I meant.

I sell you CPU# 1234, you get it, say it is dead, and send it back to me for a refund.
I get back CPU #1235, you get a refund and my working CPU, and I think I just sold a CPU that died during shipment, since I didnt document what CPU # I sent you.

I just sold some stuff, including a CPU, to a great trader who I dealt with multiple times, but I still took a pic of the CPU as part of what I normally do.
Check out my CPU pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx4wd7z5utdvgti/IMG_20170501_213653.jpg?dl=0

I also did it because part swapping could happen during shipment.
(usually with expensive items that are easy to sell, think new iPhones or other expensive electronics)

Wait a minute...that cpu looks familiar....what gives?!?!

I maybe selling some higher priced CPU's here and was wondering if USPS's Adult Signature (and/or Restricted Delivery) is a good idea?

I would obviously insure the full value on the package.

Thanks

Honestly i don't sell anything over $500 to anyone with low heat. And for things over $1000 i make sure they have very solid heatware and references. Not worth the hassle.

I'm in the market for some used 6950x, 6900k, 6850k etc. if the price is cheap/reasonable. I'm itching to do some watercooled rigs and (this might be an unpopular opinion but) I'm not a fan of ryzen.

Let me know when you post if thats what you plan on selling

125-0 heat

https://www.heatware.com/u/81062/to

Back