High pitched video card noise from 6800GT

cerebrex

[H]ard|Gawd
Good god my video card is making the most horrible high frequency noise I've ever heard.. Incredibly high hz range. When I click my mouse on the browser pages it makes it for a second, in games it does it solid... Its not the monitor for sure, I've checked the card, definately coming from it. The card is normally very overclocked (1.25GHz/420MHz) but even not overclocked it makes the noise... When I'm in games, when I turn to a high white area, it will start, turn away from it, and it goes away. Any ideas?

alright...try this:

when you turn to a high white area in game, turn off the monitor. tell me if it makes a noise then.

this'll tell me what's causing the problem...

Yea that sounds like the monitor.Had the same problem with the monitor at my moms office.

nope, it isnt the monitor, I assure you. I turned it off and spun around, it is not the monitor, I pulled the case apart, it is definately the video card without doubt.

What kind of output from the card are you using? (VGA?)

Not that this is likely to be something you can repair yourself, but examine the card, especially the capacitors mounted on it. Are any bulging or leaking? The noise you describe sounds an awful lot like a "singing" capacitor.

At any rate, you're probably not going to get it to go away without replacing the card. Hopefully it's still under warranty.

When the power supply that came with my case started taking a dump, it sounded just like you're describing. Try turning things near your computer, like monitor, lamps, TV's, etc, on and off and see if the noise changes pitch or frequency. If it does, you got some caps going bad somewhere. Card or power supply maybe.

Stupid question, but does it occur when you turn your speakers off?

Sounds like it could also be a power supply problem.

Thanks for the insight everyone. Tomorrow I will check the card out with great care and make my decision if I'm going to RMA it. I suspected a capacitor early, but hoped not. I will take a q-tip to them tomorrow and see if I can figure out which one it is.

Mister E said:
When the power supply that came with my case started taking a dump, it sounded just like you're describing. Try turning things near your computer, like monitor, lamps, TV's, etc, on and off and see if the noise changes pitch or frequency. If it does, you got some caps going bad somewhere. Card or power supply maybe.

I agree, could be your power supply. My old 350 watts Enermax made a high pitched noise when I did anything the required "juice" from it, needless to say, it soon died.

cerebrex said:
Thanks for the insight everyone. Tomorrow I will check the card out with great care and make my decision if I'm going to RMA it. I suspected a capacitor early, but hoped not. I will take a q-tip to them tomorrow and see if I can figure out which one it is.

How in the world is RMA's off topic in the video card forum? seriously?

This is definitely NOT the fan. I just got an ASUS N6800XT with exactly the same problem (only mine happens under load in 3d mode). I'm pretty sure I have more than enough experience to tell the difference between a noisy fan and something entirely different. Not to mention I unplugged the fan from the board just to verify this (yeah, it still made the noise).

It's definitely got something to do with power delivery because if the board is overclocked (and or unlocked) it makes more noise than stock. A shame too because it's rock stable at 415/895 with 12 pipes and 6 shaders.

cerebrex, is your board ASUS also? I'm wondering if this is a common defect now... here's another post about the same issue. so, what did you end up doing with your board?

Back