High-pitched noise coming from mouse

w4ffles

2[H]4U
I've been using a Logitech MX518 for the past 3 years and have recently noticed that there's a high-pitched noise coming from it. The mouse still works perfectly fine and I usually don't pay any mind to it, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across something like this or knows why it's happening.

Are you sure the noise is inside the mouse and not nearby speakers?
My speakers are above my monitor and nowhere near my mouse.

This is a common issue for most models of Logitech mice.

Don't worry about it. If the sound bothers you, there are many homebrew solutions out there.

http://jdc.parodius.com/logitech/
Ahh, thanks for that. I'd rather not potentially render the mouse useless so I'll leave it as it is. The noise isn't too annoying as it's usually drowned out by other sounds.

if my mx revolution started making a noise id probly toss it against the wall just on reflex... ahh its wearing out anyway....

As long as it's not giving me hand cancer or something, I think I can live with it.

I was just like .. You have got to be kidding me.

And here I sit with a Logitech MX518.. which whines like a bitch. (but only if I put it next to my dome)

W
T
F.

I have MX518 and have no such issue so doubt it is the mouse itself. Probably your mb has EMI issue so get a ground loop isolator and connect that between computer and speakers. I do have an Asrock mb with EMI issue and can hear mouse wheel scrolling in web pages but that is the mb and not the mouse causing it and the ground loop isolator fixes it. If it was the mouse that causes it then it would happen on my other PC with Asus mb that is right beside it connected via KVM. I have MX518 in my bedroom connected to two more computers with Asus mbs and no such issue there either. Only the cheap Asrock mb has the issue and when I sent email to Asrock about it got the standard things to try and never admitted the mb had such an issue. I did have an Abit mb once with the same issue and never even had MX518 mouse then.

Back