High Pitch Squeel with gtx 285

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igg

[H]ard|Gawd
Yesterday I decided to test out my 2 gtx285 by trying crysis warhead in sli only to be greeted by a high pitch noise as soon as the game is launched. I'm positive that it isn't my motherboard or PSU because I've tested the same game/system with a 4870x2 and no wierd noise.

Is that normal or should i start an RMA rolling on the evga card?

I have a new EVGA 285 SC and it squeals at the menu for The Witcher and Crysis (so far). This is a new build using an old power supply (but a good one). It -could- be the motherboard but I'm 99% sure it's the GPU.

I did confirm that enabling Vsync stops the noise at the menus.

Not a big deal....My 260 squeals at times also...my 8800GTX did this too....

As nodle's links attest, I pointed out in the thread from the first link as well as at inCrysis that, this is a common occurrence with rendering extreme framerates (usually in the thousands) in applications like bink video, or FPS-uncapped menu systems in games like Crysis, where VSync is disabled.

Your sample is almost certainly not faulty and if the noise bothers you that much you can enable VSync (you ought to have it on with that SLI setup anyway, no?)

I get the scream on my gtx 280 as well. Folding seems to bring it out the most.

Anyone else have WOW lag, bog, and behave poorly if you dont reboot after folding? (even if you quit the folding before playing)

It's capacitor squeal... I would guess either the PSU or the Video card. Put in one card and see if the problem still exists. If not, try the other. If the problem doesn't exist for one at a time, its more than likely your power supply squeals only under the load created by both the 285's at once.

As nodle's links attest, I pointed out in the thread from the first link as well as at inCrysis that, this is a common occurrence with rendering extreme framerates (usually in the thousands) in applications like bink video, or FPS-uncapped menu systems in games like Crysis, where VSync is disabled.

Your sample is almost certainly not faulty and if the noise bothers you that much you can enable VSync (you ought to have it on with that SLI setup anyway, no?)

Too bad you couldn't lock the thread after this post. You win.

Yea, my XFX GTX285 does that too. I noticed it happens in game menus/company splashes and ATi tool. Another person in this thread opened my eyes by saying that it happens when extremely high framerates are being displayed.

This isn't something to worry about, right?

Yea, my XFX GTX285 does that too. I noticed it happens in game menus/company splashes and ATi tool. Another person in this thread opened my eyes by saying that it happens when extremely high framerates are being displayed.

This isn't something to worry about, right?

Coil whine has been an issue with graphics cards for a few years now. The past three I've owned (8800 GT, 8800 Ultra, HD4870) have all exhibited whine. It's just something you have to live with ... sometimes switching out other parts will make a difference (different motherboard, PSU).

Supposedly enabling VSYNC fixes the problem with some cards. Huge YMMV.

I went through 3 different GTX 285's with the same exact problem. It is apparently coil whine (nvidia voltage regulators are not digital like that of ati cards). Needless to say, I went back to a 4870 (1gb) for the time being. I strive to have a quiet system and any high pitch frequency is immediately (to me) noticeable and not tolerated.

I hope nvidia changes their spec to accommodate people with good ears and quiet systems.

I went through 3 different GTX 285's with the same exact problem. It is apparently coil whine (nvidia voltage regulators are not digital like that of ati cards). Needless to say, I went back to a 4870 (1gb) for the time being. I strive to have a quiet system and any high pitch frequency is immediately (to me) noticeable and not tolerated.

I hope nvidia changes their spec to accommodate people with good ears and quiet systems.

I can still hear some whine with my HD4870 (previous card was an 8800 Ultra). It's not as loud nor as intense, but noticeable regardless.

You sure that's not just the fan? I wasn't aware of 4xxx having coil whine like nvidia. There's an article stating that due to the digital regulation on new ati cards there just shouldn't be any. And out of the 4 or 5 different 4xxx series cards i've used/seen... never heard them whine/squeal - odd.

You sure that's not just the fan? I wasn't aware of 4xxx having coil whine like nvidia. There's an article stating that due to the digital regulation on new ati cards there just shouldn't be any. And out of the 4 or 5 different 4xxx series cards i've used/seen... never heard them whine/squeal - odd.

Absolutely positive. I removed the fan shroud and zip-tied a 120mm fan to blow directly onto the heatsink (just to see how effective it was) and left the original fan attached as well. The fan ramps up past stock (which is ~20%) once you hit 90C, and under load the card was at about 86C, so the extra noise wasn't coming from the fan (double checked in GPU-Z, where it showed to be at about 900 RPM). I heard a distinct electronic noise coming from the card - not quite as shrill as the 8800 Ultra's, but still audible.

off-topic but i realized my friends new core i7 build was making lots of weird little electrical whining/buzzing sounds and turning off the intel speedstep and other power saving features made it completely silent. something about the load on the psu being reduced made it angry. weird stuff.

off-topic but i realized my friends new core i7 build was making lots of weird little electrical whining/buzzing sounds and turning off the intel speedstep and other power saving features made it completely silent. something about the load on the psu being reduced made it angry. weird stuff.

Yeah, that and turning forcing VSync on seems to solve the problem for some.

My GTX285 does this as well, usually when loading a level in DoW2 and other games. Its annoying as hell, but I deal with it.

Alright, Well I figured out that the issue was caused by my 2 GTX 285 doing 4000FPS at the menu of crysis, not during game play, just at the menus with extreme frame rates.

Thanks for all that helped.

I also have this, the noise depend on how stressed the card is.. with very light games like warcraft 3 ( the card runs at idle speeds ) the sound is null, but with games like crysis and fear2 its like a bee hive

I had this on my 7900GT, 8800GTS 320MB , 8800GT 1GB... the GTX285 is VERY VERY audible though.. i hope nothing gets busted on this.

Yeah - this only occurs when the card is rendering FPS in the 100's. Force VSync on FTW.

It is my 3rd NVIDIA video card in a row with a high pitch squeel noise... I must admit that my new GTX 285 is better than the GTX 280.
The 4870X2 is not silent but I find the noise generated by it to be less annoying than GTX 280.

Woah, I just ran gta4 after reinstalling drivers a few times and having the "force vsync" become disabled in the control panel, and saw that during loading screens the fps had so many digits it was overlapping the rest of the text in my precision OSD. The squeal was like a banshee. Time to lock that fps down.

I had it on my GTX260 before I upgraded power supplies from an Antec SP-500 to a BFG ES-800, no squeal now.

I had it on my GTX260 before I upgraded power supplies from an Antec SP-500 to a BFG ES-800, no squeal now.

Some people did say that PSU's may also amplify the noise or totally kill it.. seems like a bigger over all costing to silence this card. and some even say its not normal for the 285 to make any noise as theirs dont.

I'd like to contribute to this thread since I just picked up a 285.

The squeal is there, but it's intermittent for me. Happens in some games, but not others. Happens with some 720p videos, but not others. Happens with some Blurays, but not others. Never happens when staring at the desktop.

If you use headphones, it's a non-issue. If you turn up your speakers it also blends out.

Honestly, if not for this thread, I wouldn't have noticed it.

Thanks [H] :p

Just adding more information. The squealing was very bad though, and happened in almost all games/applications that put on a GPU load. I think that my SP-500 was actually going bad at the time as well, so that could have contributed to the noise.

Some people did say that PSU's may also amplify the noise or totally kill it.. seems like a bigger over all costing to silence this card. and some even say its not normal for the 285 to make any noise as theirs dont.

its the PSU guys, note the sigs of the people that have whining/squealing issues and those that do not, you will see a pattern

I love my gtx280s high pitch squeal.... ok, not really.

It's not the power supply, Spanky....

lol well you can continue enjoying that squealing in a system that is supposed to be silent (P180, S-Flex, Silencer).

all nvidia cards seem to do that

my 260, 280, 295 all do it even my 8800 did on a 1000w corsair and 650 antec psu

the TWO 4870x2 cards never did it

I doubt its nvidia, my brother, myself, a friend of mine all have the 260. Two of us have the TX750 another has the enermax modu 625. No whining whatsoever. In my bro's case, he never swapped the 260, only the psu and the problem never came back.

Interesting, this is the first time I've seen squealing reports on a non-Seasonic PSU, a Topower (Tagan BZ 800).

its the PSU guys, note the sigs of the people that have whining/squealing issues and those that do not, you will see a pattern

I just replaced my 8800GTS with a GTX260, and noticed the squeal as soon as I fired up ATITool. I thought it was the GPU at first, but after some googling I decided to check further and used the "rubber tube as stethoscope" trick; sure enough, it was coming from my Corsair 620HX.

I have an RMA replacement on the way, but I sort of expect the symptoms to persist (I think it may be an interaction with the 620HX/Seasonic design), although I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I cant speak for everyone, but in my case, its not the PSU..
All 3 of my 8800GTX's had a squeal, and both of my 260's also have it at times...
When I had an ATI 4870 in this rig for a few weeks , there was no squeal...
I had a PCP&C 610 running the 8800's and I have a PCP&C 850 running the 260's

I just replaced my 8800GTS with a GTX260, and noticed the squeal as soon as I fired up ATITool. I thought it was the GPU at first, but after some googling I decided to check further and used the "rubber tube as stethoscope" trick; sure enough, it was coming from my Corsair 620HX.

I have an RMA replacement on the way, but I sort of expect the symptoms to persist (I think it may be an interaction with the 620HX/Seasonic design), although I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah I already had this done in December. Replacement RMA unit came, new/sealed - installed it, and the banshee squeal was still there. I actually tried a Modu82+ temporarily afterwards, but that has another issue altogether with the fan noise :(

In the end, the TX750 was the best solution, and my rebate should be coming in soon :D

Yeah I already had this done in December. Replacement RMA unit came, new/sealed - installed it, and the banshee squeal was still there. I actually tried a Modu82+ temporarily afterwards, but that has another issue altogether with the fan noise :(

In the end, the TX750 was the best solution, and my rebate should be coming in soon :D

Ah, shame! I'd read some of your posts, but didn't know the outcome was unsuccessful. Did you have to buy the TX750 outright, or did Corsair help?

I cant speak for everyone, but in my case, its not the PSU..
All 3 of my 8800GTX's had a squeal, and both of my 260's also have it at times...
When I had an ATI 4870 in this rig for a few weeks , there was no squeal...
I had a PCP&C 610 running the 8800's and I have a PCP&C 850 running the 260's

you should note that you, COJ, and astral abyss all have PCP&C psu's, which are SS based and known to cause squealing w/ at least the 260

Wrong... next...

2 different PSU's here, same squeal. It's the cards. Always has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back