High pitch noise coming from motherboard when ethernet cable plugged in

illitirit

Weaksauce
This has been driving me absolutely crazy but I am glad to have found the source of it. Over the past 4-5 weeks ever since i built my new computer, my computer has always had this wierd high pitch noise. I dont know if its coil whine or not, but the sound signature is def not the same as the coil whine that comes from my 7970 card. It sounds more digital.

What could be the cause of this? And what would the remedy be? My ethernet cable is approx 60 ft so it will be a pain in the ass to replace. Or buy another NIC?

edit: forgot to mention....the noise is constant. Not intermittent with usage. No amount of load or idle on the network changes the noise.

Last edited:
The network card is capable of coil whine, since is using a transformer to drive the network cable; but so far this is the first case I hear about. The solution I see would be to change the network card; I would recommend to experiment first, see ebay or craigslist(or your own stash :D) for used network cards, or try to borrow from friends/etc.; even an 100Mb card should do for test.

I did have pando media booster installed a long time ago when i first installed league of legends, but its one of the first things i removed.

After some trial and error, depending on what driver i install. The sound signature changes. I rolled back to an earlier version of the driver and now instead of a constant noise....now its more like morse code.

Back