High idle temp on 3950x.

vegeta535

[H]F Junkie
So my idle temps have gone up to 50c out of no where. This is under a custom wc loop with 2 280 rad and a 1080ti in the loop. I was idling in the low 30s before. While running prime95 my temps go to the low 70s which is normal like before. This at stock settings. I redid the thermal paste and nothing changed. Everything runs fine still just my temps never go below 50c. The 1080ti siting around 28 idle and low 50s under load.

Last edited:
Odd. Gonna throw out some ideas off the top of my head in case it helps

Checked the fan dust filter lately? I often forget to check mine until the temps rise a bit.

Maybe you changed a fan curve recently to quiet things a bit?

You have a flow meter to check the actual flow rate of the loop? maybe the pump is spinning slower (for whatever reason)

My 3950X/2080Super are on the same loop (two thick 360mm rads) and I idle around 28°C in a 66°F room. My AC's currently on the fritz and I'm at 40°C - 47°C in a 73°F room as I type this...it fluctuates a lot because of the auto boosting

Odd. Gonna throw out some ideas off the top of my head in case it helps

Checked the fan dust filter lately? I often forget to check mine until the temps rise a bit.

Maybe you changed a fan curve recently to quiet things a bit?

You have a flow meter to check the actual flow rate of the loop? maybe the pump is spinning slower (for whatever reason)

My 3950X/2080Super are on the same loop (two thick 360mm rads) and I idle around 28°C in a 66°F room. My AC's currently on the fritz and I'm at 40°C - 47°C in a 73°F room as I type this...it fluctuates a lot because of the auto boosting
Fans are controlled by the BIOS and setting haven't been changed. Looking in the BIOS it shows temps on the low 30s but once windows is running it is 50c. I tried several different programs and they all report the same. Maybe something screwy happened with windows.

In Windows 10, just aftter a reboot, you need to wait for about 2 minutes before things settle down and actually idle. Until approximately 2 minutes passes, the CPU speeds can be higher than normal.
After 2 minutes and idle temps are still high, check the following:
  • Open Task Manager and look at CPU usage of running processes (sort by usage).
  • Open HWiNFO and check CPU core speeds. Are they really idling?
  • Check power profile. Is it set to Ryzen Balanced?
    • In advanced power settings, is Processor power management --> Minimum processor state set to 1%?

In Windows 10, just aftter a reboot, you need to wait for about 2 minutes before things settle down and actually idle. Until approximately 2 minutes passes, the CPU speeds can be higher than normal.
After 2 minutes and idle temps are still high, check the following:
  • Open Task Manager and look at CPU usage of running processes (sort by usage).
  • Open HWiNFO and check CPU core speeds. Are they really idling?
  • Check power profile. Is it set to Ryzen Balanced?
    • In advanced power settings, is Processor power management --> Minimum processor state set to 1%?
Yes I checked all that. I ended up doing a clean install and everything is back to normal. I idle low 30s again.Must of been some rouge program/malware in the background doing it.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
Yes I checked all that. I ended up doing a clean install and everything is back to normal. I idle low 30s again.Must of been some rouge program/malware in the background doing it.

Sounds like a crypto miner loading up a thread or two.

Could be the pump, can you check if its spinning at proper RPM and what not.
he reloaded windows and it stopped, nothing wrong with the aio, it was something in windows. instead of finding and fixing it he reloaded.

Back