High end PC owners Will YOU be buying the 360?!!

Rash

2[H]4U
Some of the games look very good to me BUT, the lack of AA and high AF on some game demos i have seen on the 360 kiosks has put me off especially when you compare COD2 on both formats, i thought this machine was supposed to shit on everything else? Although i must admit for the price of the xbox you get good graphics etc....but still wont be buying one!

Of course I am. I am not letting the launch titles reflect the system. They were rushed, and the lack of AA I feel is because of the totally new technology on the GPU. No one has ever worked with the EDRAM before, and they didnt get a chance to develope with it till very late in the games developement cycle. Future games should look MUCH better, or so I speculate ;)

Rash said:
Some of the games look very good to me BUT, the lack of AA and high AF on some game demos i have seen on the 360 kiosks has put me off especially when you compare COD2 on both formats, i thought this machine was supposed to shit on everything else? Although i must admit for the price of the xbox you get good graphics etc....but still wont be buying one!

Just a few more days until we can see for ourselves if the system truly does have jaggies, or if the demo builds in the kiosks were shit. Personally, I won't be getting one now. That doesn't mean that I won't have one next year, but nothing on the system interests me - as most of the titles that I'd want to own I can get for other platforms (such as PC, of which I already have a decent setup).

You were expecting too much if you think that the X360 will "shit on everything else". Current consoles? Yes, of course. Current PCs? It's about equal to the high-end, certainly better than the current gen mainstream PC. Nothing to get your panties into a knot over, though :)

steviep said:
Just a few more days until we can see for ourselves if the system truly does have jaggies, or if the demo builds in the kiosks were shit. Personally, I won't be getting one now. That doesn't mean that I won't have one next year, but nothing on the system interests me - as most of the titles that I'd want to own I can get for other platforms (such as PC, of which I already have a decent setup).

You were expecting too much if you think that the X360 will "shit on everything else". Current consoles? Yes, of course. Current PCs? It's about equal to the high-end, certainly better than the current gen mainstream PC. Nothing to get your panties into a knot over, though :)

The games i have seen on the kiosk and other reviews arent as high quality as my setup and mine isnt ultra high end, if there are at least 4 or 5 "mega AAA" exclusives in about a year ill get one, but if i can get the game on my pc i wont bother.

The single reason I buy consoles in the first place is to get titles I can't get anywhere else (esp. PC). I guess that's why I'm considered a Nintendo !!!!!! here... lol. But I have a PS2 as well, because there are a lot of good games that can't be had anywhere else on that system too. The XBox this round gave me only a few titles that I really wanted that I couldn't get anywhere else. And some of them ended up on PC eventually anyway. There were far too many cross-platform ports, and dumbed down PC games, on the X-box... and it seems like their launch titles are of the same strategy... so here's hoping that MS changes that next year and offers me a reason to plunk down $500+, other than the fact that it's a decent pile of hardware for the money. I want exclusives, damnit, and in droves! If that can't be had, I will probably go the same way in this generation.

If you have a high end PC today, you probably don't have to worry about how much an X360 is going to cost.

My PC was top of the line six months ago, before the 7800 series was released, and YES I am buying an X360 and a PS3, revolution I'm not too hot about as I want to see the games.

Which brings me to my point: THE GAMES. I'm sick of all the "my PC looks better than X360". Guess what? High end PCs ALWAYS have better GPUs than consols. Wait 6 months for Nvidias next next next gen card and that will smoke X360. The reason I'm buying it is the GAMES...PD0, Condemned, PG3, DOA4, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and many many more. Will games like COD2 and Q4 come out on PC, YES and they have. COD2 looks better on my PC than the x360 demo. So what? Show me a PC that plays PGR3 or DOA4.

Its all about the GAMES people, isn't that what we are? Gamers.

I will probably get one eventually, I want to see if it can get hacked like the xbox 1 did as if that cpu in there is as powerful as microsoft would have us believe it could fold like a mother :D

Speaking of hacked... those that have taken the system apart already, have noticed some differences already. http://www.hkmod.com/index.php?t=news_edit&action=load&news_id=146

news_image_146.jpg

solideliquid said:
If you have a high end PC today, you probably don't have to worry about how much an X360 is going to cost.

My PC was top of the line six months ago, before the 7800 series was released, and YES I am buying an X360 and a PS3, revolution I'm not too hot about as I want to see the games.

Which brings me to my point: THE GAMES. I'm sick of all the "my PC looks better than X360". Guess what? High end PCs ALWAYS have better GPUs than consols. Wait 6 months for Nvidias next next next gen card and that will smoke X360. The reason I'm buying it is the GAMES...PD0, Condemned, PG3, DOA4, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and many many more. Will games like COD2 and Q4 come out on PC, YES and they have. COD2 looks better on my PC than the x360 demo. So what? Show me a PC that plays PGR3 or DOA4.

Its all about the GAMES people, isn't that what we are? Gamers.

Yes i do wish the PC had a fighting game let a lone a decent one!! Dead or alive series or gotham series never really did it for me, but tekken and gran turismo does for the PS3, ill settle for need for speed most wanted on pc and tekken 5 untill the ps3 comes out

Yeah, I will. Never owned a console before either, but it seems the time has come. I was always impressed at Lan parties when I would be downloading updates and the xbox was set up and playing (jealous even). That and Im sick of my broke friends not being able to play the good games because they are still toolin with a 9700 or geforce3.

Only problem I really have to think about is what Im going to do with my old big screen TV when I get my HD :cool:

-dave

nope, never was a console fan, ps2 and xbox games just look like crap to me and hurt my eyes on a SDTV, and I can't stand aiming with a joystick

No, I'm holding out for the PS3 because the Sony gaming catalogue just has a richer variety of games that interest me more.. The kiosk 360 demo failed to impress me. I don't care what excuses the rabid !!!!!!s have to throw out (oh the demo's are incomplete, the LCD's are set up wrong etc) The games on it just looked poor to me. Besides, my pc can easily run games like CoD2 720p with 2xAA at way above 60fps. CoD 2 on the 360 was jaggy and looked as though it had no texture filtering. Controlling an FPS with a couple of tiny sticks is also crap compared to using a mouse any keyboard... Also, whether the demo's were finished or not... great way to make an impression on people. I think rushing kiosks out with unfinished games etc speaks for the Xbox 360 and microphallus as a whole.

Silverado SS said:
and I can't stand aiming with a joystick

FPS is only one type of genre on consoles, but unfortunately this seems to be the only genre left on pc games today, which is why I've stopped playing pc games lately. It's all about doom, hl2, quake, fear, etc that people care about these days.

xenogears said:
FPS is only one type of genre on consoles, but unfortunately this seems to be the only genre left on pc games today, which is why I've stopped playing pc games lately. It's all about doom, hl2, quake, fear, etc that people care about these days.

Thats strange because all the console sports games are on the pc, all the rpgs and rts games, the better fps games are out first or exclusively on pc, the pc just lacks fighting games and a decent amount of racing games

peacetilence said:
Besides, my pc can easily run games like CoD2 720p with 2xAA at way above 60fps.

*checks sig*
With a TNT2? ;)

I would still buy the 360 and the PS3 when each one comes out, even though my PC can run games fast enough for me for now. Now, about the money... :(

Yes, I Will.

Can people please please top complaining about what they saw at their local kiosk, it has already been established that these DO NOT look as good as the final version, PLEASE shutup about "jaggies".

peacetilence said:
Besides, my pc can easily run games like CoD2 720p with 2xAA at way above 60fps

You do know that the latest $700 dollar 512mb 7800GTX gets about 52 fps with no AA at 1280x1024, right?

diehard said:
You do know that the latest $700 dollar 512mb 7800GTX gets about 52 fps with no AA at 1280x1024, right?

You do know that he has an sli rig, right!? i also think if your gonna compare, at least compare at the same resolution of the xbox ie 1280x720

diehard said:

Nice broad statement there, how about some specifics like game settings and what GAME exactly.

I have a modest gaming PC, and it just gets used for games, a 6600GT, all I use it for is FPS games, and battlefront 2, fear, q4 seem to be puching it to its limits, I'll most probably be getting a 360 for non FPS titles, I may even sell the PC - but i would miss Counter Strike...

I won't since my current rig is adaquate for my needs, which aren't that high.

I think those that are thinking of purchasing a decent gaming rig right now, and for the near future, should consider the 360. As painful as it might be to some, the 360 does deliver better bang for the buck (yes even with low/no AA/AF), for at least the next 1-2 years. I'm not sure if MS is still losing money with this generation, but even if they aren't, it would be illogical not to take advantage.

As any PC enthusiast knows, components gets outdated very quickly. In 1-2 years time, PC components should be much more powerful, and slightly more affordable... together with games on the market that's graphically more advanced than the 360. A much better gaming PC can be bought then. Cash otherwise spent today, together with cash saved over that course of time, would give one that better PC.

But thats just me.

Rash said:

I think I'll buy pgr3 and an extra wireless controller. But I might not be able to land a 360 on launch day. So I'll be staring at the back of the game case and playing with a controller that controls nothing.

Also, I don't think my rig qualifies as "high end" any more.

I will likely buy an XBox 360 for it's other non-gaming functions. On top of that, racing games and a few other types of games might interest me also, as some games come to the console exclusively, and I'll want to grab those as well.

Lack of AA? I guess you didn't bother to read any threads about the 360 recently. ALL games have AA, it's FREE. The reason why some kiosks didn't was because they had the setup wrong.

I will be buying a 360. But then again, I will also be buying the revolution and PS3 as well.

I have s desease that makes me always buy the newest and best stuff. I can't help it, literally, I can't. The only thing that makes me not buy them is when too much stuff comes out at once and my entertainment budget has been spent.

Why wouldn't someone with a high end rig buy a 360? Maybe not at launch, but later down the road. The 360 has some sving qualities that even a PC fanatic could enjoy, unless they already have an HTPC and don't like platformers and racing games.

moralpanic said:
Lack of AA? I guess you didn't bother to read any threads about the 360 recently. ALL games have AA, it's FREE. The reason why some kiosks didn't was because they had the setup wrong.

Exactly.

The version in the kiosk where not the final ones.

The final version of COD2 looks much better on the X360 that on the PC. Read all the review comparing the PC version to the X360 if you don't believe me :p

I have a fairly high end PC, X2 3800+ @ 2.5 + 7800GTX + 2GB RAM, and my PC in plugged on my HDTV, so I play all my games at 1280 X 720.

I can tell you. The X360 version of COD2 have better graphics and better frame rates than my high end PC. My PC can't even keep 45FPS with all details.

And it's only a first-gen release, so I'm DEFINATELY buying the 360.

diehard said:

And you can get an Xbox360 for how much again?

Anyways...I'll be getting an Xbox360, but the only problem I think I'll have is deciding which titles I want to play on the PC or the Xbox360, if they are released for both.

Bobby said:
As any PC enthusiast knows, components gets outdated very quickly. In 1-2 years time, PC components should be much more powerful, and slightly more affordable... together with games on the market that's graphically more advanced than the 360. A much better gaming PC can be bought then. Cash otherwise spent today, together with cash saved over that course of time, would give one that better PC.

Say what? I dont care what you have but keeping your PC upgraded is far more expensive then going out and buying console (fixed cost) and even getting a HDTV (Fixed cost+ much bigger entertainment value then a PC).

Playing a game isn't how pretty it is..its playabilty...I guess you weren't around in good ole days when the Atari 2600 was out and it had blocks for graphics, yet the games for the most part where alot more fun on there when what we have today. The Xbox360 already has a leg up on PC graphics cards (its more or less a next gen Video card for a PC) and will be able keep up with PC games graphicalicly for the next couple years. Not to add in the additional hacks and work around that they will learn to do with a fixed set of hardware that's impossible to do with PC games due to the shear number of variabilities out there.

moralpanic said:
Yes I read some of them, and even saw some shots both here and on links in the megathread. Aliasing was visible, though I'm not sure how severe it is compared to those shown on kiosks.

GT98 said:
Say what? I dont care what you have but keeping your PC upgraded is far more expensive then going out and buying console (fixed cost) and even getting a HDTV (Fixed cost+ much bigger entertainment value then a PC).
Err yes, exactly the point I was trying to make :rolleyes:. Buy the 360 now and take a break from the upgrades. In 2 years, start dishing out for a new PC.

Playing a game isn't how pretty it is..its playabilty...I guess you weren't around in good ole days when the Atari 2600 was out and it had blocks for graphics, yet the games for the most part where alot more fun on there when what we have today. The Xbox360 already has a leg up on PC graphics cards (its more or less a next gen Video card for a PC) and will be able keep up with PC games graphicalicly for the next couple years. Not to add in the additional hacks and work around that they will learn to do with a fixed set of hardware that's impossible to do with PC games due to the shear number of variabilities out there.
Playability or eyecandy wasn't my point :rolleyes:, please read my post again.

Yes I will, already bought and confirmed for pickup on tuesday. I have 8 PC's in the house, an Xbox, PS2, Cube and two Dreamcasts. I never got into the whole PC vs. Console debate as they are not the same thing to me. Console gaming is a different type of play, usually with other family members and such. PC is usually solitary or MMORPG play (and some LAN play with family). That and stuff just looks awesome on a 62" Mits DLP!

It's whatever you like playing, and I like both.

Now 360 vs. PS3, that's a real debate...... (for another thread)

Why are people using CoD2 to compare?

Use HL2, the review on IGN clearly states the PC game has a higher level of detail than that on the Xbox. Besides, Xbox usually shines at sports/racing games etc. Playing an FPS on one is awkward and frustrating.

I will not. I am not one to budge when the marketing machine gets rolling telling me to spend more money. The games I want to play are better on PC's anyway (FPS, RTS).

The only console I would consider buying is the revo, because those fun type party games are the only fix not available on the PC.

*Plus I do not want to spend money to pay for a monthly online gaming service.*

InternationalHat said:
Why are people using CoD2 to compare?

Use HL2, the review on IGN clearly states the PC game has a higher level of detail than that on the Xbox.

that's for xbox, not xbox360, isn't it?

InternationalHat said:
Playing an FPS on one is awkward and frustrating.

Tell that to the Halo & Halo 2 players. I've seen some damn good players...all with the "awkward" controls.

Nothing wrong with console games or anything but I won't be investing any more money into console gaming.

Back