High End Graphics Card Stock 6900 XT vs 3090

8 minutes of jibber-jabber when a single paragraph of text would suffice.

Here in the UK, we're seeing a more appropriate/logical market price segmentation, IMO, for the entry-level AIB cards (albeit prices are still massively inflated).
  • 6800 for £900
  • 6800 XT goes for £1000
  • 3080 is selling for around £1100
  • 6900 XT around $1200 ...same general performance and hash rate as 3080 ti, but disadvantaged in RT and DLSS
  • 3080 TI around £1400 ...same general performance and hash rate as 6900XT, but RT and DLSS advantages
  • 3090 £2000 ...top-tier, better hash rate/non-LHR
Strangely, the 6800 XT seems to be the "sweet spot" card for AMD and you can't find them anywhere (even less so than 3080s and 3080 Tis)
AMD is still behind on their quotas for PS5's and XBoxes and they have been lite on their OEM deliveries for Laptop processors and EPYC's. AMD under the best of circumstances is silicon constrained with all these releases they have put out in an actual shortage they are just straight-up hooped. They have been focusing on pumping out parts that have small footprints and high success rates to maximize what silicon they can get their hands on.

Decent video, but really I think there's one big thing: Price. At, or near, MSRP I feel like the cards would sell pretty well. When you're talking near (and over) 2 grand, people are going to walk away as fast as they possibly can. They're good cards, offer great performance, but the price is bananas.
Yea my MC AMD cabinets are completely full of cards. They are great cards for AMD's MSRP but no one wants them for 2x+ the price. If they were good mining cards then they would of been gone no doubt.

Yea my MC AMD cabinets are completely full of cards. They are great cards for AMD's MSRP but no one wants them for 2x+ the price. If they were good mining cards then they would of been gone no doubt.

You would have to think someone must be buying them though, otherwise the price would start to come down. As it's not hard to find them under 2K and available for purchase. 3090 however seems to be quite a bit harder to get a hold of.

You would have to think someone must be buying them though, otherwise the price would start to come down. As it's not hard to find them under 2K and available for purchase. 3090 however seems to be quite a bit harder to get a hold of.
In a situation where a product is scarce and restocks are few and far between they can make a lot more money having a 50-100% markup than you can selling them at MSRP because you will get somebody who comes in and buys them out of necessity. And should the scarcity situation get resolved you can always then drop them down to MSRP with zero consequences and a higher total profit margin.

Or they can't lower the price cause they would lose money. From what I understand there is not much meat left for retailers.

In a situation where a product is scarce and restocks are few and far between they can make a lot more money having a 50-100% markup than you can selling them at MSRP because you will get somebody who comes in and buys them out of necessity. And should the scarcity situation get resolved you can always then drop them down to MSRP with zero consequences and a higher total profit margin.
They are being sold at AIB partner msrp. 10-1 microcenter would loose tons of money if they sold a power color liquid Devil at 999 instead of its AIB price of 2299.

Just picked up a 6700XT from Best Buy for my son at "only" around $899. I've been watching 6900XTs sit at MC for months now, but I can't make myself spend over two grand on a card.

Reactions: travm
like this
Just picked up a 6700XT from Best Buy for my son at "only" around $899. I've been watching 6900XTs sit at MC for months now, but I can't make myself spend over two grand on a card.
Cheapest 6700xt is $879 at MC atm. Right now they have a several 3060, 3060 ti and 6600xt in stock. For under $600.

Cheapest 6700xt is $879 at MC atm. Right now they have a several 3060, 3060 ti and 6600xt in stock. For under $600.
Well, I've got a 2070 in my own PC, so it doesn't feel like those would be upgrades.

The 6800's are pretty decent GPUs.... if sold at or near MSRP
/not paying $1000 for any card, let alone $2k+
//quite happy with my 6600 XT (bought at MSRP)

The problem is cards used to sell at MSRP, if retailers or etailers are selling them at above MSRP prices then you may as well list BUY IT NOW's on eBay along side them because that's kinda all the same pool of potential buyers, then. "Willing to over-pay? Step right up and take your pick!". 3090's should start being offered at $3000 each, so there can at least be a small supply of them available, that's probably a pain threshold few but those with the deepest pockets would wish to cross. (HOWEVER, nice job on the aggregation list and publishing above. Well done, Sir or Madam).
Mmhmm.
In my opinion, this discussion cannot be had without talking about the market price. I believe the reason there is plenty of stock available for the 6900XT because of how grossly overpriced they are compared to their NVIDIA counterpart. Micro Center seems to always have stock now due to high much they're overpricing everything they can carry now.
Yeah.

Basically any card can be found for the right price.

A friend was in St Louis last week, at a MicroCenter store, and was chatting in Discord all excited about 3080Tis' etc being in stock there. They were oem's, but even still the prices were nuts.. Like $1900 for a 3080Ti?? In a MicroCenter? I didn't think they did the retailer scalping thing, maybe something has changed.

Cards are in stock above MSRP at Newegg, Ebay, Amazon, and the St Louis Microcenter.

:(

Looks like BB is the last holdout for actual MSRP pricing... Friend just got a 3080Ti at a BestBuy after doing the all-night line thing. he said they only had about 80 total cards, and only 5 were 3090's.. 45 3070Ti's was the majority. Something drastic has happened with 3090 card supply, as when I did the BB line thing in late July, they had 51 3090's out of something like 180 cards.

I hope you are correct that the available quantities are about to double.

If its in stock its over-priced, if its out of stock its under-priced.

Demand is just insane, everything should be in stock evenly but just for moments.

Mmhmm.

Yeah.

Basically any card can be found for the right price.

A friend was in St Louis last week, at a MicroCenter store, and was chatting in Discord all excited about 3080Tis' etc being in stock there. They were oem's, but even still the prices were nuts.. Like $1900 for a 3080Ti?? In a MicroCenter? I didn't think they did the retailer scalping thing, maybe something has changed.

Cards are in stock above MSRP at Newegg, Ebay, Amazon, and the St Louis Microcenter.

:(

Looks like BB is the last holdout for actual MSRP pricing... Friend just got a 3080Ti at a BestBuy after doing the all-night line thing. he said they only had about 80 total cards, and only 5 were 3090's.. 45 3070Ti's was the majority. Something drastic has happened with 3090 card supply, as when I did the BB line thing in late July, they had 51 3090's out of something like 180 cards.

I hope you are correct that the available quantities are about to double.
Best Buy is still getting access to the FE cards and those are still going for MSRP, others are going for what ever the AIB’s are able to sell them for as they aren’t stock reference cards.

I just found out my reprobate neighbors who inherited the house next door just somehow got hold of 10 3080 FEs to scalp. These knuckleheads can't do 6th grade math (I'm not kidding, think the Cleetus family from The Simpsons), they couldn't tell a GPU from a RAM slot. But they were able to use a bot to snag the cards. Truly amazing times.

Reactions: kac77
like this
Interesting, if true...

Nvidia plans to keep 3090 prices high, even if that means imposing an "artifical" shortage on the market

Moore's Law Is Dead (@mooreslawisdead) Tweeted:

https://twitter.com/mooreslawisdead/status/1448810044640870408?s=20
I don’t buy it, so they claim they are going to just halt production and stop selling because profits. Their margins are already fantastic, getting more is blatant price fixing and would be a guaranteed way to get sued. More likely they are trying to catch up on their huge backlog on A series cards. Dell had to side grade me from a pair of A100’s to a pair of RTX 8000’s because the A100’s don’t exist. Performance wise for what we’re doing it pans out but it does mean the power draw is different so it puts me into a 240V chassis so I need to make some changes to my power situation in my rack.

Edit:
Supposedly 4 months ago NVidia re arranged their production schedule to get more Ampere cards out as was reported by https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-production-capacity-ampere-gpus

If true this would be NVidia’s production swinging back.

Last edited:
Interesting, if true...

Nvidia plans to keep 3090 prices high, even if that means imposing an "artifical" shortage on the market

Moore's Law Is Dead (@mooreslawisdead) Tweeted:

https://twitter.com/mooreslawisdead/status/1448810044640870408?s=20
MLID = fan fiction BS

These fabricated quotes are written by someone that doesn't understand how anything works in a supply chain, GPU or otherwise. Nvidia wouldn't preannounce or telegraph anything. Nonsense like "you're going get less cards in Q4 than Q3" is child brain stuff.

1634319306644.png

You guys really need to stop quoting the MLID clickbait.

Last edited:
There are lots of tech rumor sites that are 98% rubbish, but MLID does have some decent, fairly accurate, sources and has a respectable batting average for his predictions

There are lots of tech rumor sites that are 98% rubbish, but MLID does have some decent, fairly accurate, sources and has a respectable batting average for his predictions
The problem is when someone resorts to fabricating information during times that actual information is slow or not forthcoming, it casts doubt on everything. MLID knows exactly what they're doing, but just seem to give in to financial temptation far too often and edge into bad faith rumor peddling. They know better.

The propaganda technique of taking fabricated bullshit but then sprinkling in some plausible or known truth/fact to make it seem more plausible overall is ages old.

All I'm saying is aways keep the shaker of salt handy when reading "news" and trying to decipher what it really means. We live in the misinformation-for-profit age where the energy, financial incentive and attention span required to fact check anything is far outpaced by the speed of BS.

The problem is when someone resorts to fabricating information during times that actual information is slow or not forthcoming, it casts doubt on everything. MLID knows exactly what they're doing, but just seem to give in to financial temptation far too often and edge into bad faith rumor peddling. They know better.

The propaganda technique of taking fabricated bullshit but then sprinkling in some plausible or known truth/fact to make it seem more plausible overall is ages old.

All I'm saying is aways keep the shaker of salt handy when reading "news" and trying to decipher what it really means. We live in the misinformation-for-profit age where the energy, financial incentive and attention span required to fact check anything is far outpaced by the speed of BS.

Sorry, I don't keep an salt shaker for these. I grab the sidewalk salt.

Yeah, I stopped bothering to read those sites and videos. Most of it is probably just made up by themselves, or a regurgitated rumor some rando on Reddit made up.

I'll believe it when it is an actual quote from Nvidia or AMD on a reputable website. There is just no point in wasting your energy investing in rumors, what does it really do for you in the end (either way)?

Yeah, I stopped bothering to read those sites and videos. Most of it is probably just made up by themselves, or a regurgitated rumor some rando on Reddit made up.

I'll believe it when it is an actual quote from Nvidia or AMD on a reputable website. There is just no point in wasting your energy investing in rumors, what does it really do for you in the end (either way)?

MLID / AdoredTV tactic: Shotgun blast out every possible scenario, based on obvious assumptions "Guys, my secret inside source is telling me the next cards will be named 3000 series. And they'll be on a smaller process. And have better RT performance. And PCIe 4.0! Also, a 3080 Ti with 20GB coming in January". Once actual information comes out, he congratulates himself for things he got "right", while pretending to have never said the incorrect crap. Goldfish brains eat it up because they can't remember what he said five minutes ago- "Hey man, but he's right pretty often ya know".

If you actually watch his videos, he often contradicts a previous guess within the same video. He has no insight, knows nothing. It's entertainment.

Anyone serious - or anyone that may be trying to make better investment or purchasing decisions in this sphere: the only signals worth following in this industry are to listen to the CEO's of TSMC, NVIDIA, AMD, Samsung, Intel, ASUS and other partners - listen to their comments during investor calls. Nobody has a full picture of the future, but you'll be able to better trace the contours and the outlines of what's more likely, based on a composite from what those kinds of people are saying, or not saying. IMO.

Last edited:
Right, the investor calls are good because they legally can't lie as a public company. So it's not marketing BS, you could pretty much trust that they are telling the truth.

MLID is definitely top 5 on the list of rubbish sites. I think Adored might be #1.. forgot about him until DPI mentioned it. Both are Nerd Trash Entertainment news at best, paid shilling at worst.

Considering it is a metric for which many SKU have a negative numbers sold with giant noise like:
Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 Pulse Gaming went from 710 units sold to 410 units sold overnight (-300).

Single week seem really noisy (AMD "sold" 70% less than the previous week on it for example).

Back