High-end GPU Timeline rest of 2019-early 2020?

sethk

2[H]4U
So we didn't see anything big for 2080 super or 2080ti during Black Friday - Cyber Monday (no surprise, without competition), but I expect we should hear something from AMD at CES (maybe?) and we know that Nvidia has the rumored 2080ti super (i.e. full TU102) as well as Ampere and Intel should be releasing some cards in 2020 (but maybe not true very high end).
What are people's predictions on prices in Dec, Jan, Feb for high GPU releases and prices or changes?

Unless AMD beats or equals the 2080ti for around $800 (No RT HW) I don't see anything all that interesting in Q1 2020. And Nv can keep it's prices the way they are either way.

I put together this helpful timeline for you outlining the upcoming GPU releases:
upload_2019-12-3_14-39-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-3_14-38-51.png
    upload_2019-12-3_14-38-51.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm honestly waiting for the best GPU to buy before Doom Eternal releases. I really hope AMD comes out with something good that can run it at 4k 100+ Fps but I may have to go with Nvidia.

I'm honestly waiting for the best GPU to buy before Doom Eternal releases. I really hope AMD comes out with something good that can run it at 4k 100+ Fps but I may have to go with Nvidia.

How demanding is it really? I'm gonna frag away with a RTX 2070, on whatever res that gives me the best experience. 60-75fps depending.

How demanding is it really? I'm gonna frag away with a RTX 2070, on whatever res that gives me the best experience. 60-75fps depending.

At 4K?? That seems a bit ambitious. and I really couldn't care about average FPS. I really care about baseline/minimum FPS performance.

At 4K?? That seems a bit ambitious. and I really couldn't care about average FPS. I really care about baseline/minimum FPS performance.

I said whatever res :) I can run 1440 at 60fps and upscale with the NV scaler on my 4k display as usual. I'm not competetive with shit like Doom, just want to have fun.

I'm guessing you'll need a 2080ti. AMD got fuck nothing towards your goals.

To me the real thing I'm waiting for is HDMI 2.1 support. That's really significant because it changes the monitor landscape entirely.

If good GPUs actually support HDMI 2.1, then using an LG OLED TV as a computer monitor becomes pretty fucking viable.

Don't expect anything through Q1. Q2 is the earliest possible window for something new from NVIDIA. I don't think we have any information on something above the 5700 XT from AMD at this time.
The 2080 Ti does it in DOOM 2016. Eternal uses a new engine, though, and we don't know yet if it will have ray tracing at launch. id earlier said it wouldn't be at launch, but that was before the delay.

I’m still holding out hope that there will be an announcement in January from one or more of the big 3 (counting intel) for a high end GpU, hopefully at CES.

I’m still holding out hope that there will be an announcement in January from one or more of the big 3 (counting intel) for a high end GpU, hopefully at CES.
NVIDIA almost never reveals new products at any of the trade shows. They usually host their own event to do it. AMD will show stuff off at CES, though. Haven't been paying attention to Intel in a while, but I think they do the NVIDIA approach to new products.

When I was reading a review by AnandTech about he RX 5500 XT it said ..

Speaking of power, the card relies on an 8-pin external PCIe power cable as well as PCIe slot power for its electricity needs. From a practical perspective this seems overprovisioned for a card that shouldn’t pass 150W for the entire board – so a 6 pin connector should work just fine here – but with Sapphire’s higher power limit bringing the card right up to that 150W threshold, I’m not surprised to see them playing it safe.

Well then I found this MSI RX 5700 Mech OC built on a very small profile and guess what …a single 8 connection is all that is needed un-like my ref RX 5700 that needs a 6 and an 8 for power and unlike the ref card the Mech will not get flashed as that card peaks at 180 watts with 1900 boost clock ,

Now as what was stated I did notice when playing the card perked at 156watts with a boost clock .. so is the Silicon better now then 5 months ago or was the RX 5700 just built on XT boards?

Last edited:
When I was reading a review by AnandTech about he RX 5500 XT it said ..

Speaking of power, the card relies on an 8-pin external PCIe power cable as well as PCIe slot power for its electricity needs. From a practical perspective this seems overprovisioned for a card that shouldn’t pass 150W for the entire board – so a 6 pin connector should work just fine here – but with Sapphire’s higher power limit bringing the card right up to that 150W threshold, I’m not surprised to see them playing it safe.

Well then I found this MSI RX 5700 Mech OC built on a very small profile and guess what …a single 8 connection is all that is needed un-like my ref RX 5700 that needs a 6 and an 8 for power and unlike the ref card the Mech will not get flashed as that card peaks at 180 watts with 1900 boost clock ,

Now as what was stated I did notice when playing the card perked at 156watts with a boost clock .. so is the Silicon better now then 5 months ago or was the RX 5700 just built on XT boards?
The RX 5500 uses 130-140W under load. I wouldn't want that card using a single 6-pin.

The MECH OC uses a custom PCB. MSI were probably able to power the GPU more efficiently with their design.

Back