High Capacity SSD as primary drive

The first SSD linked was the Inland Professional 1TB unit for $150, and I have a challenge for you: find the Inland Professional website and tech support phone number.

I agree with your point. Though to the Inland part: It is the house brand of Microcenter as Rosewill is to Newegg. I don't feel as risky buying those because all I have to do is walk into my local store and they will replace it and hand me a new one.

That said, still totally agree with you on principle. My inner microcenter fanboy just had to make mention of that.

Other one to watch out for is OEM drives. A lot of people who found cheap 2TB HP drives have a really hard time getting warranty support for them or so I've heard.

My build uses a 250gb M.2 NVME SSD for OS and programs, and a 2TB SSHD for games. The load times on my games are pretty decent, given that I really only play one or two at a time, and the price was right for the setup.

That said, when I bought those drives the 1TB NVME M.2 models were still all in excess of $300, so my strategy might be different if I were buying today.

I use an NVMe drive for my boot drive, some games and all my applications. 4x480GB SSD in RAID0 for Steam Library, 6x8TB RAID10 for mass media storage.

SSD RAID only gets about 950MB/s but that's because it's a Marvell RAID controller on I believe a 2X PCIe link.

i guess you can do it that way , i would of just got a 2TB NVME SSD would of not been far off 4xSSDs price if not cheaper and faster (you can partition it if you wanted)

but from the age the the system i guess thats what was done at the time

I'm SSD (2 x NVMe and 1 x SATA) for all important stuff. But my workstation still has a 1TB 2.5" HDD in it as a dump drive for temporary crap and suchlike. It was a 3.5" HDD but swapped to a 2.5"...you know...power saving a bit.

I've been rocking SSD's as my main drive for years. I started with a 500GB, but am now using a 1TB Crucial drive.
Literally ALL of my music, pictures, games, movies, etc. are on that drive and I simply make Macrium Reflect image back-ups to a 2TB spinning drive every week or two.
That seems to work just fine. I'm really tempted by those new 2TB Corsair m.2 drives. I'll probably snag one of those next year.

I actually just bought a 1TB 860 EVO to replace the 256GB 830 in my desktop. No real difference in speeds but it'll let me offline some games off of the hard drives. Most open world games that stream alot of data can benefit from running on a SSD, although most single-player games don't really appear to benefit much as they were designed with HDDs in mind.

The only SSDs I've had any problems with have been cheap Sandisks without DRAM cache causing occasional desktop stuttering, and the atrocious OCZ Vertex2 I RMA'd right before they were bought by Toshiba. I had to put a disclaimer when I sold the Vertex3 replacement that it may not live that long and further warranty support was unlikely.

I actually just bought a 1TB 860 EVO to replace the 256GB 830 in my desktop. No real difference in speeds but it'll let me offline some games off of the hard drives. Most open world games that stream alot of data can benefit from running on a SSD, although most single-player games don't really appear to benefit much as they were designed with HDDs in mind.

The only SSDs I've had any problems with have been cheap Sandisks without DRAM cache causing occasional desktop stuttering, and the atrocious OCZ Vertex2 I RMA'd right before they were bought by Toshiba. I had to put a disclaimer when I sold the Vertex3 replacement that it may not live that long and further warranty support was unlikely.

Once you had a ssd the differences between them become less noticeable

NVME was only really noticeable when installing say like 50GB games as it was kicking around 1GB/s when installing but running games them self's same as my 840 evo (witch annoying did die, as to why I only Buy the pro ones now, or curical ssds)

Back