High Capacity, Low Profile USB Drive

BigJayDogg3

[H]ard|Gawd
Desires:
>= 128 GB
Small enough to be left inserted full time
USB 3.0
Reputable company

I have a Chromebook I need more storage on. This is to be a drive I can toss a bunch of music/movies on and put in the Chromebook without worrying about it getting snapped off. I want something from a reputable company. SuperStar Spec Technology® drives need not apply. I've had too many bad experiences with early performance degradation and outright failure for me to go that route.

I'm looking for something like the SanDisk Ultra Fit. If anyone knows of something with similar capacity with lower profile, or similar profile with more storage, let me know. If not, I'll just go forward with the Ultra Fit.

Lot of Newegg reviews saying it gets warm to pretty hot after not too much use, not sure if that would be a concern to you. But it is really teeny tiny and about as small as you are going to see.

If your Chromebook has a SD/Micro SD slot you could use that instead, they won't get that hot.

What about a : Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Fit (MUF-128BB/AM)

I use something similar except it has a micro on one end and regular usb on the other:
Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Duo (MUF-128CB/AM)

What model Chromebook.Some (not many) of them allow SSD swaps.

Again, I forgot the forum doesn't notify you by default.

What model Chromebook.Some (not many) of them allow SSD swaps.

It's a Chromebook 14. No SD card slot, or I'd have gone that direction. The SSD swap is something I hadn't thought about. Doing some Googling it seems this Chromebook uses an M.2 drive.

Thanks guys!

STAY AWAY from those Fit drives, total shit.

I had 2 a 64GB and 128GB, both failed in short order, less than a month of use they could not be seen by any computer I had. I got an RMA from them, sent the drives back, replacements one was DOA, the other died in another 2 weeks (normal use, not 24/7 operation like you are talking about), I sent them both back, got replacements, both failed AGAIN. I tried getting another RMA and never got a response, tossed them in the trash and picked up some better drives, even though they were much bigger.

STAY AWAY from those Fit drives, total shit.

I had 2 a 64GB and 128GB, both failed in short order, less than a month of use they could not be seen by any computer I had. I got an RMA from them, sent the drives back, replacements one was DOA, the other died in another 2 weeks (normal use, not 24/7 operation like you are talking about), I sent them both back, got replacements, both failed AGAIN. I tried getting another RMA and never got a response, tossed them in the trash and picked up some better drives, even though they were much bigger.

Noted. Guess I need to start looking at M.2 drives.

I have a few 64GB fit drives that I use daily. No problems other than they are warm to touch.

Again, I forgot the forum doesn't notify you by default.

It's a Chromebook 14. No SD card slot, or I'd have gone that direction. The SSD swap is something I hadn't thought about. Doing some Googling it seems this Chromebook uses an M.2 drive.

Thanks guys!

Lucky!

I have a Dell 13 Chromebook that allows a SSD swap. I went for the 16GB option with 4GB ram and i3 but found there was a surplus of unwanted Lite-On 32GB SSDs (the same 32GB option) in Ebay due to them being in XPS machines. I got that for £15!

I then later upgraded that to a 64GB Plextor supplemented with a Samsung 64GB top end SD card for a data dump drive.

I have a few 64GB fit drives that I use daily. No problems other than they are warm to touch.

I have a couple of them that I use for sticking OS builds on but I dont use them for long term always on usage. Heat always kills stuff like that in the end.

Can also vouch for those San Disk Ultra Fit's getting super duper hot. If they are just sitting there idle, they only get marginally warm.....but start doing a lot of active reads and writes, yes is will actually burn you if you touch the metal part of the housing. I tried using them for music playback because the size was so small and unobtrusive, but gave up and moved back to the fullsize drives.

I had a 64GB one on our Nintendo Wii U and it died after about a year with minimal usage.

For quick usage, the tiny ones are fine (I keep one in my wallet). But for something to you plan to actively use, they just do not have the durability yet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can also vouch for those San Disk Ultra Fit's getting super duper hot. If they are just sitting there idle, they only get marginally warm.....but start doing a lot of active reads and writes, yes is will actually burn you if you touch the metal part of the housing. I tried using them for music playback because the size was so small and unobtrusive, but gave up and moved back to the fullsize drives.

I had a 64GB one on our Nintendo Wii U and it died after about a year with minimal usage.

For quick usage, the tiny ones are fine (I keep one in my wallet). But for something to you plan to actively use, they just do not have the durability yet.

First signs for me was getting hot, just like you state, I used them for moving/keeping movies around, all 4-10GB in size, they would get very hot moving files like that, and after a while when trying to move 2-3 movies at a time, it would drop off and the PC could not see it. I would pull it, let it cool and try again, it would work for a while and then the same thing till they got to the point they would not work at all.

Apparently I was incorrect. This device does not have removable storage, so I'm back to using some kind of USB drive for storage.

I guess all things considered, this still isn't bad, I'll just go back to my original plan of buying an iPad for travel duty or rolling the dice with one of these drives.

You could go for the Sammy drive, same size and no reports of the same heat issue, it's not a fast drive, but from the sounds of it you are just putting movies/music to stream off of, not back and forth transfers.

Back