High Cache "Zen 3+": Last stand for AM4 and Broadwell succesor.

Nightfire

2[H]4U
In a suprise announcement Lisa Su revealed plans on releasing Zen 3 with vertically stacked cache giving 3x the amount and higher bandwidth due to the stacked nature.
https://www.techpowerup.com/282835/...vertical-cache-technology-15-gaming-perf-gain

AMD's internal testing claimed a 15% boost on average to games. This seems believable as the old Broadwell 5775c matches current cpus in several modern titles.
https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-5775c-still-a-beast.2003087/

Combine this with the 5x00g apus to battle RKL as well as solid plans for Zen 4 next year, it is looking like AMD is continuing to move along full throttle.

It'd be great if it were am4 - I'll honestly probably grab whatever the top am4 chip is and hang tight for a couple of years - if that's the current 5950x, fine, if it's a 6950x, even better. I'll wait to go to am5 for when we have pcie-5 peripherals that can use the speed and then do a full system build. That's probably 4-5 years away given pcie-3 is barely being saturated.

I don't see them moving to a new socket until they move to DDR5 memory. What AM4 boards support it though will be up for grabs.

I don't see them moving to a new socket until they move to DDR5 memory. What AM4 boards support it though will be up for grabs.
Cache increases shouldn't really cause any issues as far as AM4 motherboard support. It won't take much to add support for them.

There is probably no technical reason why they'd have to be limited to the 500 series.
A repeat of the bios eeprom size limit. A 16mb rom can't contain all the microcode from ryzen 1000 to ryzen 6000(?) as well as all the features in the bios. It ends up being a problem for older boards that people might want for older gen ryzen cpus, but if it's been flashed to a bios that dropped support for them, they no longer work as intended. There isn't any single great solution, but if everyone is lucky, board manufacturers can release bios with new microcode as beta.

I was thinking the same thing about the bios size, and then checked the CPU support list for my b450 board. It has 70 some processors on it. By comparison my b550 board only has 30.

from what iv read sounds like this new v-cache will be added going forward to give amd a nice leg up but on otherside iv heard rumors intel has fked amd out of TSMC 3nm node by staking all available capacity. so get the 3d vache and hold tight untill amd finds/builds a new fab since it seems whoever has the most $ can just shut everyone else out.

from what iv read sounds like this new v-cache will be added going forward to give amd a nice leg up but on otherside iv heard rumors intel has fked amd out of TSMC 3nm node by staking all available capacity. so get the 3d vache and hold tight untill amd finds/builds a new fab since it seems whoever has the most $ can just shut everyone else out.

Last I saw it was Apple that had gobbled up 3nm and Intel is behind AMD and Nvidia for 5nm capacity...

Last I saw it was Apple that had gobbled up 3nm and Intel is behind AMD and Nvidia for 5nm capacity...

^ This. Every site I've read which commented on the upcoming node allocations have Apple, then AMD, then nVidia and then Intel

Apple and AMD likely bought their production capacity a couple of years ago, or more.

A couple of years ago, Intel was still betting on itself and their own fabs. By the time they realized they weren't getting it done----they were too late to the pie. But there was "some" pie left. Because Apple and AMD bought what should be "enough/plenty", under normal production conditions.

Saw some rumors that Zen3+ was canceled but nothing confirmed. If that is the case AMD will be taking a back seat for a while as Intel's upcoming ADL is looking rather strong.

Really would have like to see this new cpu in an am4+ platform running triple channel ddr4, ie bandwidth of ddr5 while keeping the latency of ddr4. Additionally, 24gb would be a sweet spot for most builds before jumping up to overpriced ddr5 at 32gb or down to 16 gb which may not suffice for many.

intel ADL is a first gen big little so it prob wont be super out the gate MS did some coding to make the scheduler actually see big+little cores and manage them with win 11.

really hope this comes to zen 3 itll make it so i can sell this 5950x in a new rig.

Back