HiFiMan HE-400 / HE-500 Headphones $100 Off

I got a pair of the HE-400's when they were on sale around BF, wasn't particularly impressed with them though. I think they are a bit over-hyped. A lot of my favorite vocal selections sound recessed.

I got a pair of the HE-400's when they were on sale around BF, wasn't particularly impressed with them though. I think they are a bit over-hyped. A lot of my favorite vocal selections sound recessed.

What kind of amp are you using with them?

-nvm saw in your sig.

Last edited:
every time the HE-400's go on sale i'm tempted to buy. i've never listened to planar magnetic headphones of any kind. bahh been spending too much money lately, i won't be able to buy these without feeling guilty. so i won't.

I've had the HE-500's for a while. They are great. They are, however, heavy and not the most comfortable. I attached a padded headband and replaced the ear pads, and they are comfortable now.

I used to have a pair of ath a-900's that lasted 8 years until the plastic that attached the earcups to the headband broke for a 20th time. I absolutely loved how they sounded, and about a year ago I held the broken earcups to my ears to listen to them for a sec and they WOWed me again. *teardrop* wish I knew how to fix em up. I'd like to get an upgrade without having to stray too far from how they sounded. Would be nice to step up the durability and avoid that plastic connector breaking too, though I'd likely take better care of them too.

Any ideas? I've heard good, and bad things about the 900x, so wasn't sure. $300 is the limit. I feel since I loved the 900s, I should be able to find a slight upgrade in that range.

As a long time user of the HE-400's all I can say is this is a STEAL.

Get the velour headpads and the cushioned head band and you'll be in for one nice comfortable set of cans.

However some warning , these get a bit "warm" due to the large magnets so if you sweat this is a consideration. Also despite the low power requirements (on the HE-400's) it doesn't change the fact that the HE-400's and 500's are planar magnetic. A headphone amp is really required to bring out the most in both. A good entry level headphone amp is the Schiit Magni.

I've had them since they went on sale around black friday for 100 off, and I won't lie when I say I love them. They have totally changed my audio experience. Im running a schitt stack, which I have read may not be totally ideal. However the sound to me is so bright and the sound-space feels perfect. I think for the price they are an amazing headphone to get started in the higher end world.

You do need a dac and amp though, otherwise just not worth it. Fiio makes some very affordable combos. Also keep in mind I wouldn't call these portable at all. These stay in the office.

As a long time user of the HE-400's all I can say is this is a STEAL.

Get the velour headpads and the cushioned head band and you'll be in for one nice comfortable set of cans.

However some warning , these get a bit "warm" due to the large magnets so if you sweat this is a consideration. Also despite the low power requirements (on the HE-400's) it doesn't change the fact that the HE-400's and 500's are planar magnetic. A headphone amp is really required to bring out the most in both. A good entry level headphone amp is the Schiit Magni.

What this guy said also, the velour pads are basically a must buy. In terms of the sound being warm, I find it to be a nice balance depending on your EQ. I'd def check out the head fi forums on what people like in terms of EQ. www.head-fi.org/f/

Not that our guys don't know their stuff, but these guys really are obsessed!

Back