Hiding Wires from wall to Desk in middle of room

This may not belong here, but it does..

We have a client moving into a building. We are going to have cat-6 run through the building, coax, etc. all in the walls. a lot of expense is going into running the wires in wall instead of panduit (well the cost is the same, more labor, less costs for panduit)

But then they want to put desks in the middle of rooms. ok cool, then we can put jacks in the floors, right?
They are planning on having $10,000 persian rugs under these desks though. So we can't put jacks in the floors and cut holes in these rugs.. that's just not cool.

so, how do we hide the wires without using those rubber strip thingies?

it would basically just be power and ethernet from the wall to the desk.

Sometimes you can't avoid running a poll or two to keep the look clean instead of running wires from the wall. Do you know what I am talking about?

Get smaller rugs, place power and desk accordingly

What kind of desks are there

use wireless for data and monkies on bicycle generators for power

Why the hell would they put a $10,000 rug under work desks?

Sometimes you can't avoid running a poll or two to keep the look clean instead of running wires from the wall. Do you know what I am talking about?

Yea if the desk is going in the middle of the room and you can't cut the carpet your next option is a hanging drop. Really don't see a way around it from what the OP described.

The computers and other stuff are going to have to get power somehow -- where are the outlets going to be? Just install some patch panels next to those and go from there.

What type of business is it?

You can "hide" the poles possibly by using them to mount the monitor(s) to. Give the pole a purpose, and it shouldn't stick out so much, IMHO.

Last edited:
so instead of the 10k desk we have 10k rug now?! :D

in reality there's not really much you could do, you could possibly put the panduit on the perimeter of the rug....potential long runs of cable for idiots to trip or tug on and unplug....not an ideal solution...only other option is celing drops...maybe get them or paint them in black so they're not too fugly...others have mentioned wireless for data, nowadays thats not a terrible idea...still need power though :(

Check out SafCord. It is a piece of fabric (in various colors and sizes) with velcro on the sides. It simply covers your cords and then sticks to the carpet floor. We use these quite often and they work great. Unlike the plastic/rubber things of the past, these stay where you put them and don't try to coil back up over time.

Of course these only work if the flooring is carpet. You didn't state the flooring material that is under the rug, but I figured I'd toss out this suggestion anyways.

http://www.angelguardproducts.com/industrial/safcord/safcord.htm

Also dont forget, if theyre dumb enough to spend 10k on work rugs, make SURE you sign them up for a maintenance agreement. That way when they burn up a $15 power bug cause they hid it under those heavy rugs you can come out and charge them $300 to replace it ;) Trust me, if theyre spending that much on rugs, they wont know any better =P

they are persian rugs.. that's what they cost, it will go with the decor of the office or something. it is an old townhouse with hardwood floors and brick walls and all that

they are our best client.. we have a good agreement with them.

Run the cables and let them cut the carpet?

Polls from the ceiling.

MMM....stripper poles...

Are the desks going to be ON the rugs? I would just put the desk at the edge of the rug and run power through the floor.

Back