hiding programs in add/remove programs

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pircio, Mar 15, 2005.

1. pircio

pircio [H]Lite

hi... i'm looking for a program or a way to remove specific programs from my add/remove programs window without actually removing them from my computer.

to be more specific for you guys that need specific... i want to "hide" or "remove" SPECIFIC ENTRIES that are in "add/remove programs" so they do not populate when add/remove programs is opened... i am NOT saying that i want to remove the whole tab or add/remove programs, nor am i saying i want to remove the add/remove programs icon in my control panel, or windows components in my add/remove programs.

2. Phoenix86

Phoenix86 [H]ardness Supreme

Why? Reason I ask is a lot of times people ask for something specific like this they are often heading down the wrong path, and end up with a specific odd-ball request like this. Sometimes the research is done only to find the solution won't work.

[​IMG]

3. OldPueblo

OldPueblo [H]ardness Supreme

My guess is he wants to hide an installation for some kind of remote software/keylogger. :D Hey I'll bite, I had to install and hide something to catch my sisters cheating husband. This could be to monitor his smart kids or something so I'll assume you aren't doing something illegal. Search the registry for the name thats listed in add/remove. You'll find a list in the registry that corresponds to the add/remove list. Then just delete the entry I believel. I'll try to find it. Back up those keys in case you want to put it back to uninstall. And tell us why of course, don't be doing illegal crap.

Edit: Try here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Once again, back up any keys you change in case you screw it up.

4. akapaulk

akapaulk [H]ard|Gawd

Google CCLEANER, IIRC they have a nice inteface to do what you need.

PK

5. elation

elation Gawd

***Here's how to unhide them***** Just do the reverse. Shamelessly ripped from TechTV.

1. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\inf

2. Open the sysoc.inf file in Notepad or another plain text editor. If you can't find the inf directory, it's probably hidden. Unhide it.

1. Click Tools and choose Folder Options.
    2. Under View, enable Show Hidden Files & Folders.

3. In sysoc.inf, look for the section called "components" in XP or "old base components" in 2000. What looks like a bunch of gibberish is actually pretty easy to read. You'll see a component name, followed by an equals sign, followed by a list of parameters separated by commas.

For example: Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7

4. The deal: the "HIDE" between the two last commas indicates a hidden component. Remove "HIDE" to unhide the component.

For example: Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7

5. Unhide any component you want.

6. Save the file.

7. Reopen the Windows Component Wizard to see your new Add/Remove options!

6. pircio

pircio [H]Lite

i have stuff installed at work that i'm not supposed to have installed....

helpdesk asks all sorts of questions should i need to call them

damn them not giving me admin access :)

7. OldPueblo

I feel so violated... :(

8. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr [H]ardness Supreme

"Advance System Optimiser" can do it.
    Well it can do alot of other things (very good things)

I remove all the updates from the "add-remove" list - dion't like them cluttering it up when I really want to remove something

9. feigned

feigned [H]ard|Gawd

Good advice and all, but that has nothing to do with the section that the OP is concerned with.

10. elation

elation Gawd

I don't understand what the OP is. Please explain.

11. OldPueblo

He wants to hide something in the normal list that gets filled when you install something. As in "I took advice from some guys in the [H] forums though they didn't realize they were helping a douche bag break the rules of his work network." Not the components area where you check/uncheck stuff.

(semi-kidding with the douche bag part) :D

12. elation

elation Gawd

Oh. Don't won't to cheat at work and get busted. Is it worth losing your job over? or even getting written up.

That's for windows components - doh. Don't know where the other is.

13. Wolf31o2

Wolf31o2 [H]ardness Supreme

Heh... Where I work, they just replace the "troublemaker's" machine with a thin client machine, which is totally locked down on the server.

14. pircio

pircio [H]Lite

don't worry about me, if i would have been busted it would have been months ago :)

15. nuclearfly

nuclearfly Limp Gawd

We can all hope that his admin reads the forums..... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]