Hidden gems on Steam?

rezerekted

2[H]4U
Looking at the current sale the only two games that really interest me at the sale price are Witcher3 and Endless Legends. Are there any really good more obscure RPG and/or strategy games I am missing?

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is really damn good. This nerd I know has 67 hours into it and is nowhere near finishing it.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut is a great game.

DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die™ Edition and DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin are great games. I must warn you that the ports don't really allow for a proper keyboard setup. They expect you to really play with a controller. I just can't get into the combat because of this, but the game is so damn good that I WANT to. I hate XBOX 360 controllers BTW because after 20 minutes my arthritis flares up. :)

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition is one the top 10 games of all time to me. Poor me wants a friend to CO-OP the game with. Might build my niece a PC and make her play with me. ;)

The Talos Principle is really damn good. I love it!

Torchlight II is really good if you haven't played that gem of a game yet. Don't forget to mod it via the Steam Workshop.

That's just a few games that I've picked up lately that might appeal to you. I didn't mention that great ones that the guys lkisted above. All of those especially Grim Dawn are great also. ;)

Aduiosurf is a neat way to kill some time. Hit up YouTube for some music you like, convert it to mp3, and load it up into the game.

Shadow of Mordor ($12.49) - if you haven't already played it
Never Alone ($2.99) - if you like sidescrollers, and a feel-good game development story
Remember Me ($5.99) - some cool time-bending aspects, nice game, not epic but worth $6
Ori and the Blind Forest - ($9.99) is fun, can be pretty challenging, at least it was for me; but good at keeping you in it and wanting to move forward
Ryse: Son of Rome ($6.79) - Decent action game; nice looking graphics, decent performance; not too long, just several hours, so good if you want something that doesn't require a commitment of weeks and weeks

Last edited:
The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Darkest Dungeon
Project Zomboid
Don't Starve

All of those were more or less word of mouth and probably the ones with the most play time in my library. Awesome games

Helldivers for some good multiplayer content (4 player co-op)

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald - best part is it is free. It is by the Stanley Parable developers.

Stanley Parable demo - Yes even if you played the main game tons of times and saw ever ending, the demo is its own thing. Plus it's free.

DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die™ Edition and DARK SOULS™ II: Scholar of the First Sin are great games. I must warn you that the ports don't really allow for a proper keyboard setup. They expect you to really play with a controller. I just can't get into the combat because of this, but the game is so damn good that I WANT to. I hate XBOX 360 controllers BTW because after 20 minutes my arthritis flares up. :)

First up, you sir have good taste. I agree with basically your whole list. Sadly, I think Souls is a game you really need to play with a controller... not to excuse the terrible KB/mouse support. Honestly. From Software (did they even do the ports?) dropped the ball big time there.

That said I've played through DS/DS2 from start to finish, DS twice. I actually prefer the original, as do many people, and if you're new to the series it's where I'd recommend you start, OP. If you get DS1/DS2 and play around with DSFix be aware that uncapping FPS (especially in the first game?) can really fuck with jumps and make certain things impossible. Honestly, outside of using it to force unsupported resolutions, adjust FOV (if necessary), high res textures, and skip opening cinematic, I'd leave most things alone.

I also bought Demon's Souls (first game) on PS3, and my ex bought me a PS4 for Bloodborne... and I've played most of the Armored Core PS2/PS3 games, so yeah... you can tell I'm a big From Software fan. Super excited for Dark Souls 3 to come out in what, like 2 or 3 months? And there's a confirmed PC version! If you buy DS1/DS2, get the versions listed above with the bundled DLC, definitely.

I'll be clear -- if the reputation of these games hasn't reached you... you will suck at first. It will be punishing. Push through. Commit to put at least 4-6 hours in, to learn the system, the combat, and you /will/ be rewarded. Also, never go in a boss fight expecting to win on the first or second try... and eventually, when you learn the moves and such, you will feel more accomplished than you ever have in any other game. I damn near guarantee this.

Last edited:
how about Alpha Protocol? I have like 80 hours in that game (via 2 playthroughs). Choices/plot/gameplay mean multiple playthroughs are possible.

Depends, do you want Linux games, or Windows games?

"Forsaken Uprising "

Only $0.65 CAD, must be something wrong with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and some I already have, like Dragonfall and Project Zomboid. The one that has been posted that interests me the most is Dragon's Dogma but it is not on sale.

I do have Linux installed (Elementary OS) but am looking for just Windows games.

Last edited:
how about Alpha Protocol? I have like 80 hours in that game (via 2 playthroughs). Choices/plot/gameplay mean multiple playthroughs are possible.

Definitely a diamond in the rough. It deserves the spotlight since its such an awesome espionage RPG.

You know what they say about assuming.

The OP has expressed interest in Linux.

Linux is such a small market share, and such a specific environment that unless someone specifically states they are on Linux or post in a Linux subforum, that chances are they are on Windows.

Its like someone posting on a work-out forum asking what fun sports or physical activities people have discovered... then ONE GUY is like "Are you paraplegic? are you looking for wheelchair-friendly activities?"

Its like this: no harm in asking, but man: if someone is in that camp, they would have mentioned it in the OP.

Bulletstorm (not really hidden, but still most awesome dialog, about 9 hours worth of gameplay)
Craft the World (hated Terraria, loved this for ~30 hours)
DarkStar One (dated but decently deep gameplay)
The Fall (#awesome, 3 hours to play through)
TIS-100 (simple yet challenging, fun game!)
To the Moon (doesn't look like much, great story though)
Valkyria Chronicles (if you didn't play it on console yet, reward system is still screwed up, hiding bodies does nothing, A+ rating is based on turns not tactics)

Definitely a diamond in the rough. It deserves the spotlight since its such an awesome espionage RPG.

Im actually gonna disagree I tried to play it recently and man it has not aged well, it was generally unintuitive and a pain. Its going to be difficult to drag myself back to it. I recommend watching some gameplay before plunking down money on that unless it's like a buck.

For myself I'm gonna take a risk on SOMA and Firewatch. Firewatch has some really witty dialog and the gameplay looks intriguing. Its listed under walking simulator but I think thats unfair. I've seen walking simulators and they seem really non-interactive. Firewatch looks pretty and fairly interactive.

I'm told if I dug Outlast I need to play SOMA. I was clued to my chair all the way through Outlast(btw thats on sale too GO BUY IT.).

My only concern regarding SOMA is that I did buy Amnesia and it's starts out in this big house youre just supposed to wander around being lost and also watch out for some big monster. I don't like that. With Outlast it was much more like Bioshock or Half-life 2 where its straight forward and youre presented with a scenario to overcome. I'm not a big fan of both games where I'm forced to wander around for hours accomplishing nothing because I missed a switch or something I didn't know I was looking for and then randomly killed by some asshole.

Last edited:
If you get DS1/DS2 and play around with DSFix be aware that uncapping FPS (especially in the first game?) can really fuck with jumps and make certain things impossible. Honestly, outside of using it to force unsupported resolutions, adjust FOV (if necessary), high res textures, and skip opening cinematic, I'd leave most things alone.

Another vote for Souls, but to elaborate...
DSFix is only for DS1. DS2 doesn't really need anything(and it's not locked to 30fps). But there is GEDOSATO for it, if you want to mess with the post processing and the same options DSfix has.

Uncapping the fps in DS1 is OK. There is only 2 places I have seen it cause any issue, going DOWN the ladder after the Drake on the bridge after you first meet Solaire, and the jump to the Iaito in Blightown, which you can do if you time the jump *just* right. Both are extremely rare(no reason to go DOWN that ladder anyway, homeward bone it if you are going back to that bonfire). So rare I've never turned it off(this is after 500 hours of game time, 7th playthrough).

It also breaks the jump/roll to the bird in Firelink. At least it did for me. I thought I was going insane (tried like 20 times) then recapped the FPS and was fine again.

It also breaks the jump/roll to the bird in Firelink. At least it did for me. I thought I was going insane (tried like 20 times) then recapped the FPS and was fine again.

Run in a circle(to get your speed up), then aim STRAIGHT at the buttress. You'll never miss(unless you aren't perfectly straight, cause the roll will throw you off). Couldn't find a youtube on it, but thats how I always do it.
EDIT: And do *JUMP* at the buttress, if I wasn't clear on that. You roll as you land, which will knock you off, if not perfectly straight.

Last edited:
Another vote for Souls, but to elaborate...
DSFix is only for DS1. DS2 doesn't really need anything(and it's not locked to 30fps). But there is GEDOSATO for it, if you want to mess with the post processing and the same options DSfix has.

Uncapping the fps in DS1 is OK. There is only 2 places I have seen it cause any issue, going DOWN the ladder after the Drake on the bridge after you first meet Solaire, and the jump to the Iaito in Blightown, which you can do if you time the jump *just* right. Both are extremely rare(no reason to go DOWN that ladder anyway, homeward bone it if you are going back to that bonfire). So rare I've never turned it off(this is after 500 hours of game time, 7th playthrough).

I agree Dark souls 2 looked great to me without any mods.

Run in a circle(to get your speed up), then aim STRAIGHT at the buttress. You'll never miss(unless you aren't perfectly straight, cause the roll will throw you off). Couldn't find a youtube on it, but thats how I always do it.
EDIT: And do *JUMP* at the buttress, if I wasn't clear on that. You roll as you land, which will knock you off, if not perfectly straight.

,,,or recap your FPS, roll right off the edge and never miss. ;)

I have DS1 for PS3 already but was thinking of DS2 for PC, Soma is a good idea but not until I finish Amnesia (only played maybe an hour of it so far), and I never did get very far into Penumbra either, don't want to do the same with Soma, I am terrible for finishing games.

edit: it is Demonsouls I have on PS3 and not Darksouls

Last edited:
DS2 will look and play far better on PC than PS3, so yeah I'd say when that time comes you know what to do. DS2 is also a far better port than DS1 was, for PC, so you're in luck. DS3 is coming in the next few months for PC as well. :)

the Dark Souls series was previously a 'hidden gem' but it's now become so popular and mainstream that it no longer qualifies as 'hidden'...it's just a gem ;)

,,,or recap your FPS, roll right off the edge and never miss. ;)

Yeah, OK. Fine. :p

I don't feel like reloading the game after getting on the couch. :cool:

DS2 is definitely a better port, I can run in 4K with no dips under 60. DS1 drops too much, so I run that in 2715x1527

Whatever it is. I'm a recent PS4 owner, I don't pretend to understand Sony's nonsense pay-to-multiplayer scheme I for some reason bought in to because friends and grr.

Back