HGST NAS @ NE

That's $20 off of the going $200 4TB NAS price I've seen lately. Not Hot, but maybe Warm since it saves me from California tax.

I love Hitachi/HGST drives, but these HDD "deals" for the same price they've been for years have all been shit, especially when SSD prices continue to fall.

The code and a link to the product would be helpful. ;)

Just go to NE and type in HGST NAS, the code is right on the page of the product.

Not sure how you can compare a 4TB drive @ $180 to any SSD when it comes to bulk storage.

A 4TB SSD would be a few grand if even available.

To a certain degree but you certainly can't beat roughly $45 per 500 gigs of space, that is dirt cheap compared to what it was not that long ago.

True, especially when HGST/Hitachi drives are worth the $$$ imo. After thinking about it, the MSRP on these is lower than the non-NAS, so this is actually a pretty good deal for 4TB NAS.

With the track record of the Red's and Seagate's own NAS so-so this new flavor from HGST is spot on for competition.

So far they have a good track record and I am seriously debating just tossing a few into my tower for bulk storage instead of WD enterprise.

The idle is 6.7w which is low for so many platters thus they should run fairly chilly.

A HGST engineer emailed me when I asked about them, basically they are a deskstar with tweaked firmware, probably to be as raid friendly as possible.

I still have concerns about drives larger than 4TB. Just a lot of chance that they will fail compared to smaller drives...or has that been proven not really to be the case?

These are 7200rpm drives, I'd prefer the 5400 rpm drives from the 5K4000 series, if those can still be found new. Also, I see they've lowered the warranty from 5 years to 3 years (my 2011 era 7K2000's are 5 year).

These are 7200rpm drives, I'd prefer the 5400 rpm drives from the 5K4000 series, if those can still be found new. Also, I see they've lowered the warranty from 5 years to 3 years (my 2011 era 7K2000's are 5 year).

Good deal, but I agree with preferring 5,400rpm drives for a NAS. Especially when you have more than 6 drives, heat/noise/power start make a noticeable difference.

B&H always has their 4TB HGST 5,400rpm for around $150.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/835055-REG/Hitachi_0S03359_4TB_Internal_Hard_Drive.html

I bought the 3Tb version last week from Amazon only to find out my older Dell SC 1430 server wont take drives over 2 Tb....:(

Am I the only person who uses active cooling for his NAS?

And am I the only person who dedicates a ventilated (and cooled, in the summer) room to his NAS?

Just wondering why there are always guys out there complaining about "heat" with faster drives when all you need to counter this is active cooling and good monitoring.

Moreover, the 5400RPM HGST drives do not have NAS features built-in, unless you're referring to WD Reds, which suck compared to any NAS or Enterprise drive IMO just because of how god awfully SLOW the stupid Intellipower is (reliability notwithstanding). And to me at least, if you're going to create a serious NAS at all -- one that isn't just part of your main chassis -- then why do you have it in a place where noise would be a concern? Your NAS doesn't have to go right under your HTPC, or in your bedroom, or strapped to the inside of your headphones, or crosswired into your ear canal. If you're close enough to hear the audible difference between 7200RPM and 5400RPM, then you need to rethink location big time.

I ask all of these questions because I can't even hear any of my HDDs in my NAS rack, since the fans keeping my 7200RPMs cooler than 5400RPMs would be are louder than the drives *wtfshrug*

I bought the 3Tb version last week from Amazon only to find out my older Dell SC 1430 server wont take drives over 2 Tb....:(

And :( @ this

I still have concerns about drives larger than 4TB. Just a lot of chance that they will fail compared to smaller drives...or has that been proven not really to be the case?

The better question is do you have any proof that there's "a lot of chance that they will fail compared to smaller drives"?

I've heard the "it's too risky cuz that's a lot of data to lose" nonsense for decades in every discussion about whatever the biggest drive happened to be at the time. The only people that need to lose sleep over a particular form factor of drive are the people not bothering to do backups.

Harddisks are commodity -- the only metrics that people need to worry about are warranty and last backup. Everything else is pointless speculation because no large scale studies on any meaningful sample size (100,000+ drives) have been done. There was the Google whitepaper in 2007 and there was a flawed Backblaze report a few months ago but you're simply not going to see a large scale study done because there's no upside for any organization with the capability.

Last edited:
The better question is do you have any proof that there's "a lot of chance that they will fail compared to smaller drives"?

I've heard the "it's too risky cuz that's a lot of data to lose" nonsense for decades in every discussion about whatever the biggest drive happened to be at the time. The only people that need to lose sleep over a particular form factor of drive are the people not bothering to do backups.

Harddisks are commodity -- the only metrics that people need to worry about are warranty and last backup. Everything else is pointless speculation because no large scale studies on any meaningful sample size (100,000+ drives) have been done. There was the Google whitepaper in 2007 and there was a flawed Backblaze report a few months ago but you're simply not going to see a large scale study done because there's no upside for any organization with the capability.

You might want to do some more research.

I have actually seen one large study but I don't remember it having anything to do with brand or anything like that. The results had to do with mean run-time and failure rates. Something like hard drives tend to fail at the three year mark, iirc.

I have actually seen one large study but I don't remember it having anything to do with brand or anything like that. The results had to do with mean run-time and failure rates. Something like hard drives tend to fail at the three year mark, iirc.

That was the Google whitepaper mentioned earlier. It was pretty informative, but that study was released in 2007, so the data is over 7 years old now and the drives used would have been manufactured 10 or more years ago at this point. 10 years of design and manufacturing improvements would have likely improved the reliability of drives. It's too bad Google didn't kept that running, releasing yearly updates - I would be interested to see how much, if any, reliability has improved on more modern disks.

lol I was trying to figure out which post you were referring to until I read the last line of the post I was replying to. Don't know how I missed him mentioning that, lmao, chalk it up to posting at 2am while falling asleep :D

And am I the only person who dedicates a ventilated (and cooled, in the summer) room to his NAS?

Just wondering why there are always guys out there complaining about "heat" with faster drives when all you need to counter this is active cooling and good monitoring.

Moreover, the 5400RPM HGST drives do not have NAS features built-in, unless you're referring to WD Reds, which suck compared to any NAS or Enterprise drive IMO just because of how god awfully SLOW the stupid Intellipower is (reliability notwithstanding). And to me at least, if you're going to create a serious NAS at all -- one that isn't just part of your main chassis -- then why do you have it in a place where noise would be a concern? Your NAS doesn't have to go right under your HTPC, or in your bedroom, or strapped to the inside of your headphones, or crosswired into your ear canal. If you're close enough to hear the audible difference between 7200RPM and 5400RPM, then you need to rethink location big time.

I ask all of these questions because I can't even hear any of my HDDs in my NAS rack, since the fans keeping my 7200RPMs cooler than 5400RPMs would be are louder than the drives *wtfshrug*

Calm down buddy. It's ok if people care about noise and heat, that's why different products exists for different needs.

Good deal, but I agree with preferring 5,400rpm drives for a NAS. Especially when you have more than 6 drives, heat/noise/power start make a noticeable difference.

B&H always has their 4TB HGST 5,400rpm for around $150.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/835055-REG/Hitachi_0S03359_4TB_Internal_Hard_Drive.html

Folks, this is what you get for not living on the forums.

I bought 4TB WD Red's @ $166/each from NE only to find the HGST's for cheaper elsewhere.

Whoa there. You realize people have different usage scenarios? NAS's typically refers to low-end bulk storage, most likely in our homes. Every watt of power saved is double that in cooling costs. If you're using a 4-drive RAID-5 with the HGST/Red's, you will have more than enough sequential transfer speed to saturate a GbE line (almost up to a teamed 2x GbE). Which again, is the typical use case scenario for NAS's, mass storage. I think for the majority of home NAS owners, they want to leave it on 24/7, not hear it, and not care about maintaining it (short of a drive failure or HW/SW updates)

HGST desktop drives are by far the most reliable in the industry.

Last edited:
Folks, this is what you get for not living on the forums.

I bought 4TB WD Red's @ $166/each from NE only to find the HGST's for cheaper elsewhere.

You got the better deal, the Red drive is far superior to that HGST.

I picked 5 of these up for $149 at Fry's on Friday. Their Friday ad has these in store only at this price. I think the price is good for quite a few days but you should check the Friday ad on the Fry's site to ensure the deal is still on. It says limit to 1 per customer but I still got 5 without any questions. I have used these in NAS's for several years and they are great. The are a bit noisy however. To bad the warranty is down to 3 years but that is about as good as it gets for consumer drives. Note this is retail box so it comes with the 3 year warranty. Bulk HGST 4tb is 2 year warranty. Also dating of the HGST retail box is on the outside at the bottom so you can make sure you get the freshest drive off the boat. I use these for performance oriented NAS. For back up only NAS I use Seagate 4tb V series due the fact that it generates less heat and speed of the drive is not the highest priority. WD branded NAS drives have a history of trouble I prefer to avoid.

One minor bonus... these retail drives are the only drives that offer you a three year warranty as far I know. My own minor experience, I have 5k3000's, and they are the only drives that don't develop any smart errors over time in comparison to seagates and wd's that I have had for less time. The warranty and increased reliability has to be worth some price increase.

Just go to NE and type in HGST NAS, the code is right on the page of the product.

It doesn't work that way.

Rule 3 of the [H]otDEALS forum:
All posts should include the item and price in the title/subject line and a link to the item in the body of the thread.

I bit. This is the first platter drive I've purchased since before the floods.

You got the better deal, the Red drive is far superior to that HGST.

Wow... That's like saying a Yugo was far superior to that Porsche.

My guess is someone has never touched enterprise class HD's before.

Wow... That's like saying a Yugo was far superior to that Porsche.

My guess is someone has never touched enterprise class HD's before.

I think Yugo to Porsche is a little bit of a hyperbole.

Probably like a Camry to a BMW 3 series.

Their deskstar NAS version is 64MB.

For the most part it's a 7K4000 drive in specs with a tuned firmware for NAS and a few added features from their Ultrastar series like vibration dampening and probably more Raid compatibility.

3 year warranty is standard for this type of drive, same as WD and Seagate.

I suppose if they made it 4 years it would be an even better deal, that is of course the ease at which HGST does warranties.

So which would be the better deal regardless of price with respect to a NAS Raid 5 set-up, the HGST NAS or the Deskstar Coolspin?

lol. That's not the one we're talking about. Read the whole thread please.

I read the whole thread...I'm talking about the drive linked in the first post...you know, the one this thread is about?

I dont know why you felt the need to make that text so huge, Im not blind and my post was pretty easy to understand....I was referring to the drive linked in the original post, which is what this thread was about....but go ahead and keep trolling me....I guarantee you wont like the outcome

I dont know why you felt the need to make that text so huge, Im not blind and my post was pretty easy to understand....I was referring to the drive linked in the original post, which is what this thread was about....but go ahead and keep trolling me....I guarantee you wont like the outcome

Not trolling you at all dude, all I'm saying is that the drive burntoast was referring too was the Coolspin, which is 32mb. The drive the op linked had nothing to do with what we're talking about. As for the Screenshot, that's just how it got cropped, nothing more.

Back