HGST NAS 5/6TB on the way

ep0x73

2[H]4U
Figured it was only a matter of time.

HGST, a Western Digital company Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 6TB 7200RPM SATA III 128MB Cache Internal Hard Drive Kit 0S03839

Looks based on the Ultrastar 1.2TB/platter [5x1.2]

$300 for the 6, $250 for the 5.

Should push the 3/4 down in price.

Last edited:
would much rather see 6TB CoolSpin models
once you have more than 2 drives in RAID or ZFS pool, you'll be limited by gigabit network speeds anyway

once you have more than 2 drives in RAID or ZFS pool, you'll be limited by gigabit network speeds anyway

I am sure those might be next, unless the line is disco.

I would appear the 3TB is but the 4TB is still available, for now.

So these would be the natural successor to the DT01ACA line? I have 8x 3TB DT01ACA's and I love them.

The NAS is a new in house drive based on the deskstar with some ultrastar features like vibration control and raid friendly.
DT01ACA is Toshiba, the NAS so far has a good reliability track record, Toshiba does not.

I'd say the HGST NAS would be an upgrade, if you went with the 5/6 they are even newer, faster with twice the cache.

I'll take 12... seriously, was about to purchase WD reds. Hope someone gets these in stock soon.

I guess its finally public now since the Netflix Open Connect boxes have been using these 6TB drives for almost a year now.

$300 for the 6, $250 for the 5.

Should push the 3/4 down in price.

Not sure why people always think larger spinning disks appearing on the market will suddenly push prices of smaller disks down. That's not how the hdd market works, least not spinning disks.

Sure it does because if the 4TB was the top drive that carried a premium and now the 6TB is the top drive the 4TB will then drop in price as it's no longer the largest so demand will shrink.
Supply/demand.

8TB as of now are enterprise drives, mostly SAS and will be damn expensive.
HGST even has a 10TB drive with SMR.
"Shingled platters breathe helium inside HGST's 10TB hard drive"
They noted it will be slower then PMR but when size is the factor and not speed it fits the niche.

The only 3.5 drives that can pack in more then 5 platters are those using He and are sealed.

1.2/platter is the highest PMR density to date that I know of unless Seagate has increased it even more.

Ah but even if you do not upgrade your network to 10G (still too expensive). SMB3.0 now supports multipath which in my testing works really well and you can link multiple gigabit links to your file server and get more than gigabit speed.

Prices like that usually means "We know about this drive so we put it on our website, we don't have it and can't sell it yet so don't order one".

Prices like that usually means "We know about this drive so we put it on our website, we don't have it and can't sell it yet so don't order one".

Or else, "We don't keep this drive in inventory, so we don't lose a ton of money when the price starts to drop."

Seen that on Amazon, a price that is just stupid.
I wanted to buy a DC fan and it was $99 so I wrote and they said it's out of stock but they do not want to remove the ad so they put the price at a point most logical people will not place an order.

I hope to see this drop the 3tb drives a bit. I'd be happy with a $20 drop.

Speaking of Amazon, the drive is listed. Not in stock yet but I am guessing that will change in a few days.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Speaking of Amazon, the drive is listed. Not in stock yet but I am guessing that will change in a few days.

A reasonable price, roughly $50 per TB as the 3TB was running around $150 when it was announced but has now settled into the $130ish range so $300 for 6TB is dead on.

I suspect the 5TB will be more of the sweet spot and might settle closer to the $200 mark, now that would be a great deal.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back