HGST NAS 4TB @ NE for $159.99

ep0x73

2[H]4U
Available from 3:00PM - 5:59PM PT
07/24/2014

HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN(0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 inch High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Bare Drive
$159.99

I have a pair of these drives coming I picked up a few days ago with a special 10% promo for $157, this is close.

$40 per TB.....not sure if you can beat that right now.

Was looking at the 3 TB for the past few days cause it's like 124.00 regular price.

Yeah, the 3tb has dropped in price too.

I bought a pair for $135 a few months back.

Still 4TB for $160 is quite the steal.

This is very timely. I have a 2tb Sammy going out in my home server and I wanted to pick up a 4tb to replace it. I was looking at the 4tb 7200 rpm in this thread but the 5400 rpm model will do just fine. Anybody know if the 7200 model is that much hotter? I can justify the cost and speed if the heat isn't too much more.

As I've read the NAS drive is just a desktop deskstar with some enterprise features like vibration control and probably more friendly with raid controllers.

This is very timely. I have a 2tb Sammy going out in my home server

R.I.P. :( Those Samsungs are probably be the best drives I've ever owned aside from WD Blacks. Cursed be the day that I found out they wouldn't be making any more drives.

I just passed up on 2 brand new 4TB Reds for $200. Drat. I've read mostly positive things about the HGST drives though, so maybe it was meant to be. I want to upgrade my Synology boxes to 4 x 4TB; these might be perfect...

There is the 5400 RPM HGST Coolspin 4tb.
There is a 7200 RPM HGST 4TB variant.
There is the 7200 RPM HGST NAS 4TB (newer)

I picked up the (2x) NAS version (retail packaging) for $165 shipped each at BHphotovideo a while back, but I would have accepted the regular 7200 RPM version (which possibly runs a few degrees cooler for some reason).

These drives seem to be very reliable, and the 7200 RPM versions are fast enough for me. I don't think I'd want the 5400 RPM version even for media-storage. The price difference isn't that large anymore.

Reading various reviews the new NAS version is somewhat of a Ultrastar lite if you will.
Does not have the 5 year warranty or higher error correction but the PCB appears the same LSI controller.
Same RPM, same cache and is designed to be raid controller friendly.

Best part is the NAS is about 1/2 the price for each size.

As I've read the NAS drive is just a desktop deskstar with some enterprise features like vibration control and probably more friendly with raid controllers.

Except in the case of Hitachi/HGST built drives, they're not UNfriendly to raid controllers in the first place, even the consumer marketed ones. The whole "NAS" branding is more marketing than technical.

R.I.P. :( Those Samsungs are probably be the best drives I've ever owned aside from WD Blacks. Cursed be the day that I found out they wouldn't be making any more drives.

I just passed up on 2 brand new 4TB Reds for $200. Drat. I've read mostly positive things about the HGST drives though, so maybe it was meant to be. I want to upgrade my Synology boxes to 4 x 4TB; these might be perfect...

Funny you should mention those two drives. I have several Samsungs in 1tb and 2tb capacities all over still in use. Really wish they were still around.

I grabbed one of these to swap with the 2tb and hopefully it gives me some good service.

Picked up two 3TB for the next Steam Sale plus I have a faster download connections so everything adds up my 1TB is half full and my two Samsung 250 SSDs are always full but spilled the content of most the games to the HDD cause the faster load times are not necessary.
Kept games like Rift Duke Nukem Warface and Planetsidede 2 BF4 on the SSD anything that required a long load time. For the most part just BF4 and Planetside 2 were the only games I had trouble with for load times.

512K is rather weak, must be the AF.
Blank 4TB, Intel Z87 controller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 161.529 MB/s
Sequential Write : 159.844 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 82.029 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 99.440 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.581 MB/s [ 630.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 2.268 MB/s [ 553.6 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 6.837 MB/s [ 1669.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 2.653 MB/s [ 647.8 IOPS]

Test : 50 MB [W: 0.1% (4.9/3725.9 GB)] (x9)
Date : 2014/07/25 1:55:30

Funny you should mention those two drives. I have several Samsungs in 1tb and 2tb capacities all over still in use. Really wish they were still around.

You will soon be able to get Samsung 1TB drives again. And this time, they will come with ten year warranties as well as a bit of a performance upgrade!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon is shipping the HGST drives today! going to replace my two 500 gig drives with 3TB drives I picked up the 500 gig drives back in 2009 or so at Office max was big capacity at the time I didn't even have steam back then let alone a gaming PC.

The 3TB currently $124 is quite a good deal.

The 4TB is a great deal when caught on sale.

I recently grabbed a pair for $157 each which is fantastic for that size.

Both fired up, no DOA and they were just made last month so pretty fresh.

Makes me wonder though with WD moving to 1TB platters on their RE if HGST won't follow suite and update their NAS line.

They could in theory have a 5TB drive out or with 1.25 platters a 6TB by the end of the year.

There is the 5400 RPM HGST Coolspin 4tb.
There is a 7200 RPM HGST 4TB variant.
There is the 7200 RPM HGST NAS 4TB (newer)

I picked up the (2x) NAS version (retail packaging) for $165 shipped each at BHphotovideo a while back, but I would have accepted the regular 7200 RPM version (which possibly runs a few degrees cooler for some reason).

These drives seem to be very reliable, and the 7200 RPM versions are fast enough for me. I don't think I'd want the 5400 RPM version even for media-storage. The price difference isn't that large anymore.

Any comparisons out there between the three 4tb drives in terms of performance, reliability, and noise/heat?

Are these HGST 7200 RPM NAS drives better than the WD "Intellipower" NAS drives in anything other than performance?

Are these HGST 7200 RPM NAS drives better than the WD "Intellipower" NAS drives in anything other than performance?

Possibly reliability based on the 1 scientific data point we have.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Although to be 100% correct they did not use HGST NAS drives at blackblaze they used Hitachi Deskstars. And I assume most of the were before the WDC acquisition of the Hitachi Storage Division.

People say these things run hot they are warm to the touch don't think it's anything serioius though 6 TB for 260.00 beats the hell out of a 400.00 one terabyte SSD =)

I have SSDs but use them for only online games that require fast loads.

Next Steam sale in Fall or Winter here I come =)

No HGST NAS at 6TB, not yet but WD red's are.

The NAS runs fairly cool, least in my Lian-Li case.

Max was 93F while doing a long scan for a few hours, normal idle temp is more around the 86-89F range.

The 4TB runs about 3F warmer then the 3TB due to the extra platter and probably pulling more power from the motor although the whitepage shows they consume the same power give or take.

I was just going to point you to B&H where they had this price (I believe near or under $150) for months however the price of the coolspins is now higher..

Hardware sensor indicate these run 7 to 10 C warmer than my seagate 5900 drives (they are also a bit faster which is expected given that they are 7200 rpm). The temp I normally see (assuming the hardware sensor is accurate) is 33-35 for the seatge and 42-44 for the HGST. I have a pare of enterprise seage 7200 rpm drive (2TB) in the same box and they tend to run around 35-38C.

check them with HDtune or crystal and see what it says.

Mine only run between 30-32C, course my case has pretty good flow with twin 140mm 60cfm fans in front.

I have a pair of ES.3 1TB in another box with just a 120mm Noctua fan and they run between 32-34c.

Delted?

I notice the price has gone way up on these recently, must be high demand and short supply.

Back