Hey! You POS!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I have to admit, I have grown fond of the voice assistant on my Pixel 2 XL phone over the last several months. It has become somewhat of a game around my house with the wife and kids to see what I can actually get the phone to do while it is still in my pocket....because hey, no phones at the dinner table. Anyway, the "OK Google," hotwords to activate it somewhat emasculating however. Not really sure why, just makes me feel like a wuss. So, then Android added, "Hey Google," which I have to admit is a whole not better. But if what 9 to 5 Google is reporting is true, the Google Assistant phone game is about to a lot more fun while out in public. Hey! You POS! We can dream can't we.

Check out the video.

Last month, Assistant on phones added support for the “Hey Google” command found on smart speakers to complement the existing “Ok Google” hotword. Now, the Google app is prepping support for custom hotwords. (In the strings below, \”%1$s\ refers to a placeholder for either upcoming text or a user-defined phrase.)

Last edited:
scotty_star_trek_iv_hello_computer_talking_mouse_animated_if_siri.gif

I did this in the office once...nobody got it. So sad.

Oh well, younger generation. Some old farts like me became enamored with the idea of talking to computers because of Star Trek. It's interesting how the ST vision of computer voice interaction is very much in line with how it's working in reality today. I use voice control all of the time now on my phones and even PCs.

Moto had custom launch phrases for a while on Google Now, but had to kill it when Assistant came out for whatever reason. My wife had her Moto Z Play answer to "Hey motherfucker" for a while. :D

I cant stand voice assistants. I want voice COMMAND. You cant even program any of these assistants, hook up scripts, change their responses, nothing...

The star trek computer never ever said 'thank you' or had any 'personality'. Thats what i want.

I cant stand voice assistants. I want voice COMMAND. You cant even program any of these assistants, hook up scripts, change their responses, nothing...

The star trek computer never ever said 'thank you' or had any 'personality'. Thats what i want.

You can hook Alexa up to IFTTT and make recipes that are similar to scripts.

I'd love a more programmable and scriptable Alexa. It'd open up a ton more opportunities (for good and bad).

I did this in the office once...nobody got it. So sad.

Even grown up, self proclaimed 'Trekkies' or sci-fi nerds don't get that reference most of the time. Or the nuclear wessles.

You can hook Alexa up to IFTTT and make recipes that are similar to scripts.

Alexa+IFTTT means two logins and needs internet connectivity to work. Further, i cant control its responses. If i ask it to play music, i do not want it to speak a reply. ITs more than just about script-ability, these assistants are too familiar. I want servants, not 'buddies'. I want a degree of detachment and coldness to the machine to always remind us it is a machine.

Since Alexa uses skills nothing is stopping you from programming your own skills AFAIK. Skills is just a name for their API.

I'm really looking forward to custom trigger words! I really hope this comes to the Google Home Mini - something my wife got me for Christmas. I've wanted to change it's name to something like GlaDos or HAL or even the more Trekkie name of Computer.

So how long before you have to say, "Hey Google Brand" so they don't lose their trademark?

Alexa+IFTTT means two logins and needs internet connectivity to work. Further, i cant control its responses. If i ask it to play music, i do not want it to speak a reply. ITs more than just about script-ability, these assistants are too familiar. I want servants, not 'buddies'. I want a degree of detachment and coldness to the machine to always remind us it is a machine.

You can tell Alexa to not reply... That's just in the settings.

This is a really low quality post here guys. The countless grammatical errors, and the useless video, just adds up to content that is crap.

I expected more from you [H]...

Sorry, can't handle realistic criticism? Do you need to dismiss what I have to say by linking to a stupid music video? That's really a dick move dude. This is a news site. If it's shit, I'm going to say so.

You can't handle that? Too bad.

Sorry, can't handle realistic criticism? Do you need to dismiss what I have to say by linking to a stupid music video? That's really a dick move dude. This is a news site. If it's shit, I'm going to say so.

Since Alexa uses skills nothing is stopping you from programming your own skills AFAIK. Skills is just a name for their API.
Yes - if you write a skill, you control the possible responses. I'm writing one now. I realized some of the phrases I added get annoying damn quick.
I also realized it's not as easy to guess at how people (including me) will use the skill. If I say it out loud, it's different that thinking of what I might say. Weird.

This is a really low quality post here guys. The countless grammatical errors, and the useless video, just adds up to content that is crap.

I expected more from you [H]...

Wut?

It was a lighthearted post about something tech related.

You must be new here if you expect every news post to be hard-hitting serious journalism.

It has nothing to do with being able to handle criticism. Its just that no one gives a fuck.

23q8km.jpg

I always wanted to use "Yo Goog" as an activation phrase, I guess my dreams are fulfilled and I can die a happy man.

Back