hey mice people, what's your take on Pointer Instruments $270 mouse?

Dan,

Thank you for a very comprehensive and helpful reply, though sadly not the one I was hoping for. Like you, I like the ergonomics of the Logitech mice, but also like you, I find they wear out far too quickly. I was hoping the Razer mice would be longer-lasting. They'd need to be to justify their high price. I have a Razer DeathAdder V2, which was reasonably priced and has lasted well so far. It's a good gaming mouse (I use a claw grip for gaming) but I dislike it as an office mouse (I use a palm grip for office work). I was attracted to the Lunar Artefacts mouse because it's designed to be repairable, but it seems to have too many other problems. I'm fed up of buying disposable mice. I've been hoping that someone will create the mouse equivalent of a mechanical keyboard (I love my Code Keyboard). In the meantime, it sounds like the choice is to either buy something like a Logitech G502 Hero because it's cheap enough to replace when it wears out or buy something like a Razer Naga and hope that it lasts long enough to justify the considerable extra cost. Have you noticed any significant differences between the different versions of the G502 (other than wired vs wireless operation), or should I go for the G502 Hero because it's the cheapest?

Dewi
All of the G502's with the Hero sensor are pretty much the same.

All of the G502's with the Hero sensor are pretty much the same.
Thanks for that. That's very helpful. I'm very tempted to try the G502 Hero because it's so cheap, so it won't matter even if it doesn't last very long. I would prefer to buy a mouse that will last a long time, but I'm wary of spending a lot of money on a mouse unless there's strong evidence that it will last significantly longer than a cheaper mouse.

I bought a Logitech G502 Hero yesterday. It feels nice in the hand, though what I'd really like would be a wired MX Master 3S. I like the optional weights. The scroll wheel feels very nice. Just like the Razer Synapse, Logitech G Hub doesn't let me change the mouse settings when the mouse is connected via my KVM, though fortunately I can download settings into the mouse's onboard memory when it's directly connected.

I'm lefty I use Logitech g902 its only mouse i found that works well being lefty in righty world.

Going back to the OP since by now their product one would have expected to be 'out'. Anyone have this?

And also just ran into this company that seems to make pretty long lasting kits and complete mice/trackballs:
https://ploopy.co/mouse/

Last edited:
in the end, I don't think anything will last under warranty. That my Logitech G502 definitely didn't. I have since use a basic mouse Enhance Voltaic and so far it still works. I didn't pay for it so I don't care if it last or not. It seems all the gaming mouse don't last eventhough I don't pay any PC games.

As far as the Pointer Instruments mouse goes, I can appreciate what appears to the quality materials, design, and attention to detail. The ability to repair, upgrade and the like seems pretty well thought out and they report that hand stitching, polishing, and assembly is used in its manufacture. They mention they're using the Pixart PAW 3508 sensor with which I'm not familiar, but if its anything like many of the other Pixarts commonly used in high end optical mice it should be suitable, same with the Omron switches etc. USB-C + 2.4ghz + Bluetooth support is nice as well., as is native support for Qi Wireless charging. As others have said, the shape may not be to the liking of some but I don't have experience with the Boomslang so I cant' say, but these things will vary, just like the ambidextrous design as opposed to a perhaps more ergonomic design that necessitates being intended for either left or right hand use; ultimately, its personal preference. By default it seems you can buy the mouse with either A) a leather top surface in either brown or black + a shiny, polished solid brass or aluminum base or B ) a clear or black composite top surface + a white or black anodized/coated aluminum base. Polished Brass + Leather is the most expensive at $221, Polished Aluminum + Leather is slightly less so at $201, and the Coated Aluminum + Composite models considerably cheaper at $118. In addition, it seems like Composite models may lack Wireless Qi charging and a 2.4ghz dongle among perhaps other changes, as they're not listed on the page and don't seem to have their own user guides up yet (the "optic edition" guide was simply the polished base model with all of its features, yet with a composite swappable top). That's a bit annoying if there are separate hardware model types with differing compatibility; I'd want the full feature set included!

They also offer a handful of accessories and upgrades. They offer both leather and aluminum mousepad options; I have to give a little credit as I'm still enjoying my ancient SteelSeries "This was too costly to keep making" SX. even as I endeavor to swap to a desk mat. Putting aside chargers, pouches and the like, they offer a nylon printed Accessory Grip for $28 which changes the ergonomics a bit around the sides. However what caught my attention is the not-yet-available Pro Grip which seems to add 6 additional buttons and even 2 scroll wheels plus is extensible itself! That's the kind of thing I like to see as by itself the Pointer Instrument is a little too limited in terms of buttons for gaming in some cases, but also seeing that kind of support is nice. The questions however are when wil it be available and its compatibility - it is shown exclusively on the composite dark model, but that may just be because it fits aesthetically. Pic below -
1673236144588.png

Ultimately I'm intrigued, but I would like a bit more info on things like its configuration (especially with pro grip attached), firmware and the like- I can hope its an open source QMK-ish setup; , maybe its worth a message. For these kind of prices, I want to see their upgrade and repair support and openness extend to firmware and software. However, it seems Lunar Artefacts is focusing on the luxury aspect of their products and materials primarily, so it will remain to be seen if it truly stacks up in tech or usability.

Going back to the OP since by now their product one would have expected to be 'out'. Anyone have this?

And also just ran into this company that seems to make pretty long lasting kits and complete mice/trackballs:
https://ploopy.co/mouse/
1673237324807.png

While I've not used their mice, I did get a chance to demo their trackball. Overall, I like their company and the ethos of everything being open source, replaceable and the like. However, they very much make products for that DIY enthusiast, so elements like some 3D printed components and the warning they give about the roller bearings on the trackball models making it louder etc.... aren't likely to bother its primary demographic, but may do so for others. You can save a little cash if you buy the kits vs the fully assembled ones, however they warn that it does require soldering. If you're really interested, they even release specs, material lists, and 3d printing design stuff openly so you may be able to even make one yourself if you have a 3D printer, can buy the electronics, and are so inclined. With the DIY/FOSS-user focus and aside from few well documented and upfront idiosyncrasies like the loud bearings, they do seem to be quite well built and thoughtfully laid out - I like how the mouse has "left-left" and "right-right" buttons in addition to some of the more standard ones. I've been hoping they come out with another updated version of the "nano" trackball model with an updated sensor, USB-C and a couple of buttons (just L, R, wheel) that I was thinking of adding to a planned ergo setup as an alternative pointer. Ploopy seems to take the opposite approach to Lunar Artefacts above, still focusing on high end and repair ability but not specifically on luxury. Overall I've heard generally good things about the company and the products!

And to give one more suggestions for a possible competing mice in this sphere... Zaunkoenig! https://zaunkoenig.co/

Zaunkoenig is a perfect example of an absolutely purpose built tool. It is a mouse made from carbon fiber , is designed to be as light as possible, and used with the fingertip grip exclusively! It has high end electronics, switches and the like designed to pair with its less-than-1-gram weight in order to facilitate performance in FPS and similar games that benefit if you intend to use it as designed. They're handmade in Germany and have gotten hit hard by materials and production shortage like everything else, but they're extremely well regarded if its you type of mouse. The current M2K model is now out of production, but they'll be launching 2 new models in Q2 2023 - the M2S and M3K ; no details on these as of yet but the names.

1673237163456.png

I've been considering getting one when the new models arrive and once I know the difference between them. Another entry in the unique, high end, made to last mouse world!

I don't give a sh^t what it is made of or what it looks like or how great the mfgr thinks it is, I STILL AINT PAYIN that much for a rodent, ever....period.....

I don't give a sh^t what it is made of or what it looks like or how great the mfgr thinks it is, I STILL AINT PAYIN that much for a rodent, ever....period.....
There are plenty of cheaper mice, these are generally those that are extremely specialized in one way or another, added to the issue that any niche item is going to come at a surplus cost because its not benefiting from massive scale production. Time, quality, price are a "pick two" situation at most , the majority of the time. Everyone has their threshold for what they're seeking and what they're willing to spend, but I don't think mice/trackballs are somehow much different from any other piece of hardware; some will want something very specialized or with certain features/quality build and and willing to pay for it , others will use a modest model that does the job at a baseline level and is economical, be they limited in what they can spend or just wishes to spend that money elsewhere. I for instance would never invest in a high end Wacom style multitouch tablet as I don't have the skill/interest in drawing/drafting/editingto make it worth the investment but a digital artist would happily spend that amount on such a tablet. That same artist would likely find any modern PC case sufficient for their build or at most they'd splurge on a LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo style case for the aesthetic, but they'd never pay $500+ for a CaseLabs case the way I do as they won't see the need for a modular high end PC case.
:D :LOL:

P.S. that carbon fiber mouse look so ugly
Real carbon fiber has sort of a divisive look to it - you either like it or hate it, it seems. I think they purposefully made the more recent versions matte to cut down on the shine. While some may like the aesthetic, I get the impression that's not why it was selected but instead for its ultra-lightweight potential. Guess we'll see what they come up with for the 2023 models.

Real carbon fiber has sort of a divisive look to it - you either like it or hate it, it seems. I think they purposefully made the more recent versions matte to cut down on the shine. While some may like the aesthetic, I get the impression that's not why it was selected but instead for its ultra-lightweight potential. Guess we'll see what they come up with for the 2023 models.
Yes, REAL Carbon Fiber is cool IMHO, but those lookalike cheapass knockoff simulated crap copies are the worst p.o.s.'s known to man, regardless of what it's used for IMHO :D

To wit: I saw a Maserati downtown last year that had CF panels on the hood & rear deck and it was simply elegant & beautiful in every regard...

My take is that Logitech is the least bad of the available options. They aren't what they used to be but I haven't found anything I'd say was better. I wish I could. I hate the Logitech G-Hub crap and their mice are hit and miss as far as longevity is concerned.
100% agree, this has been my experience in life as well.

I find their durability is very poor and I hate the Razer Synapse software. That stuff is on par with or even worse than the G-Hub.
Yupz.

I've tried Corsair mice several times and they are pretty awful.
Yyeeaahh man.

Corsair's iCUE software is hot garbage. I think it's worse than either Logitech's G-Hub or Razer's Synapse software.
Isn't that the damn truth.

I also tried ASUS' ROG Spatha and believe it or not the software was actually excellent. That's not something I expected.
Oh well daaaaaang! Definitely would not have expected that either.

I continue to choose Logitech mice because it seems like the lesser of the evils I'm presented with. It's the least bad option in a terrible market landscape.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Oh well daaaaaang! Definitely would not have expected that either.
The software was actually simple and it didn't do anything but allow you to setup the RGB lighting, mouse sensitivity and map the buttons. It had a simple profile system and the application was fast and took up almost no resources. That came as a total surprise to me. I never had it crash or freak out on me either.

The mouse itself was disappointing. It felt high quality but I wasn't a huge fan of it ergonomically over the long haul. The thing was just a bit too big for my hands. Battery life was OK but nothing special. It could definitely have been worse. The biggest thing that annoyed me was that it started to show wear on the finish/plastics after only three weeks of use. My mice and keyboards usually show considerable wear after a year or more but within the first month I shouldn't see any signs the mouse is used.

To wit: I saw a Maserati downtown last year that had CF panels on the hood & rear deck and it was simply elegant & beautiful in every regard...
Almost any Maserati made in the last decade is elegant and beautiful in every regard, even with no CF anywhere on it. :D

If I had a good recommendation for you, I'd have made it. I've tried a lot of mice from a lot of different companies and I find them all to be a compromise in one way or another. I'm hard on mice because I use them for both my jobs (through KVM) and I am an avid gamer. My input devices can see up to 24 hours of nearly continuous use sometimes. I'm in it for probably at least 10-12 on any given day with an average that's beyond that. My take is that Logitech is the least bad of the available options. They aren't what they used to be but I haven't found anything I'd say was better. I wish I could. I hate the Logitech G-Hub crap and their mice are hit and miss as far as longevity is concerned. I've had some last me a few years which is good enough. However, I've also had some crap out after a year or two for whatever reason. I haven't had too many issues with their switches dying on me. It's happened a couple of times over the years. I think I've had that happen with a G9X and one of my G502's.

I've had most of the versions of the G502 although I haven't tried the G502X Plus. I'm currently using a G502 Hero and a G502 Lightspeed. I've had the former about a year or so and the latter about 8 months I think. So far so good but I've had two G502's before that and one of them had a switch go out and the other doesn't get much use anymore. It showed a lot of physical wear to the finish after a year and a half of use.

I've had Razer mice and they almost always end up with either a double-click of death or some other issue. I find their durability is very poor and I hate the Razer Synapse software. That stuff is on par with or even worse than the G-Hub. I've tried Corsair mice several times and they are pretty awful. I like them ergonomically (as I like some of the Razer's) but they seem to break easy and Corsair's iCUE software is hot garbage. I think it's worse than either Logitech's G-Hub or Razer's Synapse software. I also tried ASUS' ROG Spatha and believe it or not the software was actually excellent. That's not something I expected. However, the mouse itself started to show wear in only a few weeks and it wasn't really all that comfortable for me long term. It was also really pricey for what it was. Others like Steel Series and some of the other smaller players out there seem even worse whenever I handle them in stores. So I don't even look at them very seriously. I haven't tried MSI or GIGABYTE's mice. Frankly, I don't have confidence in those companies being able to deliver on a decent mouse. Their motherboard software is terrible and I can't imagine software for their mice is any better.

I continue to choose Logitech mice because it seems like the lesser of the evils I'm presented with. It's the least bad option in a terrible market landscape.
I agree on Synapse and I won't buy a new mouse from Razer because of it. As far as double clicks go, I clean my switches if it comes up and that clears up any double clicking for a long while.

I agree on Synapse and I won't buy a new mouse from Razer because of it. As far as double clicks go, I clean my switches if it comes up and that clears up any double clicking for a long while.
I use nothing but Razer mice, I just don't use their software.

I use nothing but Razer mice, I just don't use their software.
Going without any would depend on the default settings of the mouse. I could probably live with a one time setup but it's irksome that they don't offer standalone drivers anymore.

Going without any would depend on the default settings of the mouse. I could probably live with a one time setup but it's irksome that they don't offer standalone drivers anymore.
Never had an issue. The DPI button works and so do the others for mapping within games. Other than changing the colour, I don't see a software requirement.

Macros require the software running, as far as I know, unless there are some models that don't. I suppose it doesn't matter since I don't intend to use another mouse unless mine dies.

Macros require the software running, as far as I know, unless there are some models that don't. I suppose it doesn't matter since I don't intend to use another mouse unless mine dies.
Are macros so common that the average user cannot use a Razer mouse?

Never had an issue. The DPI button works and so do the others for mapping within games. Other than changing the colour, I don't see a software requirement.
This isn't necessarily true. A lot of times you have to have the software running in order for a game to recognize some of the mouse buttons. The more buttons the mouse has, the more likely this is.

that's right. For people like me who hasn't play any games for years, I don't care if there is a driver. So I just use the mouse for the basic functions, as long as it can scroll, and those 2 buttons work, that's all I care. So I use the microsoft driver mouse

This isn't necessarily true. A lot of times you have to have the software running in order for a game to recognize some of the mouse buttons. The more buttons the mouse has, the more likely this is.
I guess my 5 and 7 button models were the exception ;)

Are macros so common that the average user cannot use a Razer mouse?
Probably not, I only spoke for myself.

The base modes (the number row or numpad) work as-is with my Nagas. That's fine for most games but something like a multi-key shortcut, ie. a build shortcut in an RTS, would require a macro binding. Some of the models have onboard memory but I don't know if that extends to storing macros.
I guess my 5 and 7 button models were the exception ;)
Which ones, if you don't mind my asking?

Probably not, I only spoke for myself.

The base modes (the number row or numpad) work as-is with my Nagas. That's fine for most games but something like a multi-key shortcut, ie. a build shortcut in an RTS, would require a macro binding. Some of the models have onboard memory but I don't know if that extends to storing macros.

Which ones, if you don't mind my asking?
Pretty sure one is a death adder and the other I'm not sure. When I get home I'll update the post.

Pretty sure one is a death adder and the other I'm not sure. When I get home I'll update the post.
I can understand not being too fussed with software control for a DA.

It depends on the game. Some games can map to whatever but a lot of them don't.
I think I've played a couple which supported >3 mouse buttons but I can't remember anything specific.

Back