Hey guys, new at the folding thing...

Order

Gawd
I'm heading up a small computer lab with about 15 computers...I'd be able to have them fold from the hours of 2pm-630am if you guys are interested. I think it would be around 35GHz.

Sounds great!! just make sure you have permission to fold on those PCs!

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

Yeah, I have free reign over all the machines in the building for the most part. As long as they work when the students are here, there will be no problems whatsoever.

Some of the other members here are better accustomed to the school/work deployments, but F@H is pretty transparent... As long as you don't run Big-packets, you should be fine... of course, if I were doing this in a school enviroment, I'd have it run 24/7, but throttle the CPU usage to something like 50% or 75%.... but you may not be allowed to run it while the students are there...

Anyone remember how OC-AMD has his school set up so that F@H only runs when the PC has been idle for X minutes?

Welcome. You may soon find yourself addicted.

The program automatically uses less cycles when demands from other programs require it, so there is no need to stop during the day. It shouldn't interfere with anything. It's more likely that the students will shut down F@H than F@H shutting down the students.

And sign up one of them for the [H]ordeBowl!!

The little bastards aren't shutting down anything, thanks to Fortres :).
I got lazy and bought it and my life has been a breeze ever since.

OSUguy98 said:
Anyone remember how OC-AMD has his school set up so that F@H only runs when the PC has been idle for X minutes?

It is a corporate network that he uses a specific script to manage when they are and are not folding. Other than that someone would probably have to ask him. YOu can cathc him at the official forums or at 2cpu.com

I would just leave it running all the time. My gf's computer is an older celeron and it handles it just fine as long as its not a large WU. I've got about 24ghz running right now for the [H]orde and the performance of the computers running F@H has not been changed.

i keep forgetting scheduled tasks needs an interactive user I think...

Welcome to the [H]orde

While you're here you might want to:

Go sign in at www.hardfolding.com our offical home
Click on over and get you one of the nifty badge that all the cool kids have
Add your F@H b0xen to the "D" to 1000 Boxen and Borging Mayhem! thread
And ADD your UD b0xen to the "D to 100" thread
Check the Sticky for all the info you need and what is goign on around these parts

and stay kick back and don't forget have some fun

copyright duster 2005

Order said:
I'm heading up a small computer lab with about 15 computers...I'd be able to have them fold from the hours of 2pm-630am if you guys are interested. I think it would be around 35GHz.
Lucky you... If you plan on doing a manual install on each machine, try my setup-fold program - it'll get the latest version and install it as a service. If you'd like I can build a version that defaults to your name instead ;) Might look into the network borging scripts for domains, if they're in one; I have one around here somewhere, but with 300+ gb of files, little stuff gets lost easily :( Someone's got it, I'm sure.

AtomicMoose said:
You are gonna have to retype this at some point, you know that right?
:p

yeah i know I would have but I have been slow today

unhappy_mage said:
Lucky you... If you plan on doing a manual install on each machine, try my setup-fold program - it'll get the latest version and install it as a service. If you'd like I can build a version that defaults to your name instead ;) Might look into the network borging scripts for domains, if they're in one; I have one around here somewhere, but with 300+ gb of files, little stuff gets lost easily :( Someone's got it, I'm sure.

I thought about doing something like that myself. Meh, if I get some time (I should have some free time this week) I can do one too. ;)

Welcome! If you have any questions, ask. Even (especially?) if it's not about folding. We have lots of smart people here.

Man, I wish I had 35 GHz of borgs...

Back