Hey guys, is this mobo sufficient for the 9900k?

Oh, I wanted to ask, is the 9900k a solid upgrade from the 6700k? I'm running a 2080 Ti for gaming and do 4k video editing. What will I see a boost more in? Video editing, gaming, or both? Or is my 6700k still a strong processor (running at 4.4GHz)

Motherboard wise: it depends:

https://i.redd.it/6j8i71dbrxv11.png

If you're not overclocking, yes that motherboard will be fine. If you are overclocking, you will want something that is in the 250W range in that chart. I personally have the z390 Aorus ultra, and recommend it.

Depending on your resolution, you will see the most benefit in 4k video editing. If you're gaming at 1440p on the 2080Ti you may see some increases in frame rate due to clockspeed. One thing I will say about the 9900k is make sure you have a really good cooler.

I have a nice Noctua cooler. Of course, that motherboard you recommend is out of stock everywhere I normally shop online. Yea I mainly game at 1440p, sometimes at 4k if playing on my home theater, but mainly 1440p. I notice in your sig you have DDR4 3200, I was going to get 3600, overkill? But "may see some increase" doesn't sound like a value for the money, maybe I'll stick it out until the next gen CPUs. I really need a 16TB drive since my drone records in 4k 60fps at a high bitrate, I chew through hard drive space like there's no tomorrow, lol.

Well what games do you play? It completely depends on that. Certainly more cores will mean faster video compression/encodings

I think in terms of performance between 3200 ram and 3600 ram you really won’t be able to see the difference unless you’re pushing the envelope or benchmarking (on intel anyhow).

I'd say go with the i7 10700K, which is a 9900K (8 cores 16T) but with better thermal IHS.

Here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.3962483&Description=Intel i7 10700k&quicklink=true, that's a much better motherboard as well. Has WiFi AX and will overclock better and it has an 8 + 4 12v power connectors.

oh! And for motherboards, I always go with ASUS, had and gave a GIGABLOWS a chance, and it was horrible, thank God newegg gave me an RMA to exchange that crap. Had to pay $100 more but ASUS it's a more solid board.

"OUT OF STOCK" Story of my life, lol. But thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to get it when it's back in stock! It's so hard to keep up will all my tech hobbies, right now I just happen to be more into drones thanks to the Covid craziness and everything I love to do being shut down or cancled and normally only research PC parts at around upgrade time which is now. And I agree about Gigabyte and Asus boards! My last Gigabyte board that I bought with my 6700k lasted only a week and died. Not only that, I know to follow mail-in rebate instructions to a tee because they'll try to invalidate it for any reason. Not only did the board die right away, but they wouldn't even honor the $20 mail-in rebate so I said to myself I would never buy Gigabyte again! I went and bought a Asus board for my 6700k and its been rock solid for years now! (I used to be a Abit fan back in the day).

As far as games I play, I'm always in the niche of the niche so nobody on here would probably know anything about the games that I play hehe. Yea by the time Call of Duty was hitting consoles it had already been on the PC for years and was about the time I was getting sick of military shooters so I don't play the popular titles anymore. I'm more into racing games like Monster Energy Supercross 3 and I think I made a post on here about my framerate dips (dropping from around 180fps down to 116fps) but I do play at max graphics settings (including AA) so maybe it's just a result of asking a little too much of even a 2080 Ti. Maybe I should get a 2nd one and SLI them along with a new CPU? 116fps sounds good on paper at maxed out 1440p but you can feel the "weight" and slight slugginess in controls, especially when playing online with all the bells and whistles cranked up and now that I'm used to pristine image quality, I don't even want to turn down AA any now because any artifacts that AA cleans up sticks out like a sore thumb to me but racing games also require perfect control response as well...lol. I never ran SLI before but one thing that turned me off from SLI was reading that it doesn't work with all games and can actually induce latency. But like I said, I also do a lot of 4k video editing, especially since I got into drones that film 4k/60fps and I can chew through 100+ Gigabytes in a single day...

Last edited:
Better make sure my power supply will work with the new gen mobos...it's a EVGA Supernova 750 G2 that I got with the 6700k. I know if I SLI two 2080 Ti's I would probably need better than a 750W PSU but for now will this work with a 10700k board?

I do not advise to go SLI, it is a dying feature and support is dwindling and usually causes more issues then it solves. Always best practice to get the best single card you can afford. For now i suggest that you check you games performance with the new CPU and go from there, there is a possibility your drops may be gone or less severe. (btw you have a 144 hz monitor so you won't see the 180 fps anyways only 144)

Word is that both AMD and Nvidia will launch new cards later this year.

(btw you have a 144 hz monitor so you won't see the 180 fps anyways only 144)

You might not technically be able to see it according to the refresh rate of the monitor (my monitor has a 165Hz setting if you don't mind degrading image quality a little), but you can most certainly feel it in the responsiveness of the controls plus being able to maintain higher framerates than your monitor can provide will mean you wont notice the dips. Like if I load up something old like UT2004, I might be running at 1000fps but it definitely looks and feels much smoother than say 160fps even though the monitor is capped at 144hz, you can still feel and notice smoother gameplay the higher you go in performance (at least I can, I can REALLY pick up any inconsistency and added weight in control input for some strange reason).

Better make sure my power supply will work with the new gen mobos...it's a EVGA Supernova 750 G2 that I got with the 6700k. I know if I SLI two 2080 Ti's I would probably need better than a 750W PSU but for now will this work with a 10700k board?

I have that same PSU and it's been running a slightly overclocked 8700K fine for months and now running a 9900K just fine as well. Should do fine with the new motherboards also.

What do you guys think of Ryzen 9 3950X instead if I don't feel like waiting for the Intel chips to come back in stock?

you don’t need a 3950x, get a 3800x or 3900x if you are impatient

Elaborate? I haven't used AMD since....I can't remember...maybe and Athlon XP 2700 or around that era... And how does it compare to the Intels? Should I just wait or are they more or less on par with each other?

Elaborate? I haven't used AMD since....I can't remember...maybe and Athlon XP 2700 or around that era... And how does it compare to the Intels? Should I just wait or are they more or less on par with each other?

I believe Keljian means that the 3950X is overkill for most people. I would agree, and since you are upgrading from a 6700K you would see a significant increase going to a 3800X or 3900X, while also saving a bit of money.

Do note that AMD motherboards are pretty hard to find as a lot of them are sold out atm so you may have to settle for what is in stock.

Do note that AMD motherboards are pretty hard to find as a lot of them are sold out atm so you may have to settle for what is in stock.
It's like everyone on the planet decided to upgrade their CPU and Mobo at the same time...heh. Well maybe this is a clear-cut sign that I shouldn't upgrade yet. ;)

Back