Hey guys how is the 770 going to be like?

Yep, $450 is possible, but hopefully it comes in at $400. That would put pressure on AMD.

if its 400 im buying on release day
well really its only 4-5% faster clock for clock over the 670 so dont be fooled by the higher out of the box clocks. hopefully it overclocks a lot better though and is not simply at the edge out of the box.

So, if the 770 is roughly 680, than there is no point in getting rid of my MSI 670 PE that OCs in 680 limit.

Thank you Nvidia, you made me save money :)

The way things have been going, $449 or $499 is my guess. Last view nvidia releases we keep hoping for the low end but they've been pushing the high end.... $349 would likely be next tier down.

I agree, seeing as how things are going it feels like this is the year of the price bump.

well really its only 4-5% faster clock for clock over the 670 so dont be fooled by the higher out of the box clocks. hopefully it overclocks a lot better though and is not simply at the edge out of the box.

It looks like they may be binned chips. At least going by roumored clock speeds.

What about TDP and heat? If its a refined version of 680, will it be quiet, consume less power and heat compared to 680 with 5-10% more perfomance?

What about TDP and heat? If its a refined version of 680, will it be quiet, consume less power and heat compared to 680 with 5-10% more perfomance?

It will use more power, have higher TDP, and have a higher stock voltage as compared to the GTX 680. It is also using 7GHz GDDR5 VRAM which has higher power consumption.

Despite this, it should have the same acoustic levels (or potentially better) due to an improved stock cooler. In fact, with GPU boost 2.0 and the improved fan algorithm, I would say that the 770 *should* be slightly quieter than a reference 680 despite the higher power consumption.

Nvidia has yet to release a Kepler gpu at more than 1.18v. I doubt that it'll suck more juice.

I really think that they're just using binned gpus.

Nvidia has yet to release a Kepler gpu at more than 1.18v. I doubt that it'll suck more juice.

I really think that they're just using binned gpus.

I'm not so sure about that - various leaks from chiphell and other sources indicate that it does indeed use more stock voltage than existing GK104 parts - and as mentioned, the GTX 770 will use a different type of VRAM which will require more power consumption. Now this is speculative but more or less - but I believe based on the above reasons that the TDP and power consumption of the 770 will be higher than that of the 680. We'll see later this week, I suppose.

Thats a very good point about the memory. I'm sure that you're right about the higher tdp.

I just have my doubts about the higher core voltage. Could be wrong though.

What I'm curious to see is what kind of overclocking headroom will the 770 have? 1300+ average boost clocks, could be realistic if the default voltage is higher.

I wouldn't expect there to be much extra headroom for overclocks on the 770s. They are a rebadged 680 with higher clocks already. They are already pushing that chip pretty hard, I'd be surprised if they clock higher than the existing 680s already can.

What I'm curious to see is what kind of overclocking headroom will the 770 have? 1300+ average boost clocks, could be realistic if the default voltage is higher.

I don't know GK104 doesn't seem to scale all that well with core voltage.

I guess that would maybe they're using a titan style cooler to handle extra core voltage.

S[H]ady;1039913122 said:
I wouldn't expect there to be much extra headroom for overclocks on the 770s. They are a rebadged 680 with higher clocks already. They are already pushing that chip pretty hard, I'd be surprised if they clock higher than the existing 680s already can.

And a slight core revision, plus 7ghz rated memory chips instead of 6ghz ones, as well as a much nicer HSF.... not a rebadge really ;).

yeah I have seen that but the chip revision number actually means almost nothing though as each card just gets a different revision number anyway. hopefully it will only be the best of the best GK104 chips that make it into the 770 though.

Thats what I'm thinking, its probably just a binned chip.

if the card is $400 and if it can oc to around 1400 and 8000 then I might consider it. if not then there is no point as its only 15-20% faster clock for clock than my gtx660ti.

I highly doubt that 1400mhz will be very common. The vast majority of MSI GTX680 lightnings don't hit that.

I highly doubt that 1400mhz will be very common. The vast majority of MSI GTX680 lightnings don't hit that.
yeah I doubt it too so it will probably only oc about 7-10% better than my card. I see no point in paying 400-450 bucks for a 20-25% upgrade over card I only paid 230 bucks for that also included a game I sold.

There's just no way this card will be $400.

$1000 Titan
$650 780
$400 770

Doesn't even make sense. $250 cheaper? Has there ever been that much of a disparity between the x80 and x70 card? I mean, I know it's $350 between Titan and 780 - but Titan is an outlier...almost like a 3970x CPU...

There's just no way this card will be $400.

$1000 Titan
$650 780
$400 770

Doesn't even make sense. $250 cheaper? Has there ever been that much of a disparity between the x80 and x70 card? I mean, I know it's $350 between Titan and 780 - but Titan is an outlier...almost like a 3970x CPU...
gtx280 was $650 while the next in line gtx260 was $400 and those were both on the same core. there is nothing odd about the gk114 gtx770 being $400 while the gk110 780 is $650. part of the reason the 780 is so high is to not take away from the Titan.

that said nvidia will probably charge $450 for the 770.

GTX 280 and 260 or 8800gtx and 8800gt

Huh. Yeah, well - here is hoping! Maybe I'll regret buying a used 680 for $300 last week. $400 for a 770 would be KILLER.

The reason I lean on $500 is NVIDIA has been unchallenged by AMD. Granted, the 770 will still be in the 7970's wheelhouse...but it's still "shiny and new" from a marketing perspective. Works on a lot of folks.

There's no evidence to suggest 500 other than complete speculation.
The rumours that have been reported are saying 499.

Just because you feel that 450 to 650 is to much of a jump, does not make it 500. They would be silly to do that. They sell way more of the cheaper cards than expensive top tier cards. Last year the top tier was 500 but the same core was used for both the 670 and 680. Manufacturing costs would have been very similar, if not identical.
This time around they are using the already tried and true gk114 for the 770. Those would be significantly cheaper to manufacture than the new gk110, allowing nVidia to price the 70 cards at more affordable prices compared to the 80 cards.

They will go 450 because they can, but no higher, it would be terrible for sales. Remember, the 770 cards will have competition from AMD at the 400 dollar mark with the 7970. $100 more for 10% gain isn't going to appeal to enough buyers. The people who don't care about the money will opt for the bigger, better 780.
If they are smart, they will come in between 420 and 450. They will sell many of them at that price.

and there is always the possibility to later slot in a gtx770 ti which could be a gtx780 with 320 bit bus. remember there were supposedly some 320 bit gk110 cards floating around and some though that it would be the Titan LE. 320 bit Titan LE is certainly not going to happen as it would have less bandwidth and rop performance than the gtx780 but a 320 bit gtx770 ti could happen.

S[H]ady;1039914064 said:
There's no evidence to suggest 500 other than complete speculation.
The rumours that have been reported are saying 499.

Just because you feel that 450 to 650 is to much of a jump, does not make it 500. They would be silly to do that. They sell way more of the cheaper cards than expensive top tier cards. Last year the top tier was 500 but the same core was used for both the 670 and 680. Manufacturing costs would have been very similar, if not identical.
This time around they are using the already tried and true gk114 for the 770. Those would be significantly cheaper to manufacture than the new gk110, allowing nVidia to price the 70 cards at more affordable prices compared to the 80 cards.

They will go 450 because they can, but no higher, it would be terrible for sales. Remember, the 770 cards will have competition from AMD at the 400 dollar mark with the 7970. $100 more for 10% gain isn't going to appeal to enough buyers. The people who don't care about the money will opt for the bigger, better 780.
If they are smart, they will come in between 420 and 450. They will sell many of them at that price.

The only problem with all of this is the x70 cards are still "top tier" - they're the 2nd best card (typically) - so there's no "budget" reasoning for them to price it lower. The 760 Ti will likely compete with the 7970...so there's no reason to worry that much with the 770 part.

Based on what NVIDIA has done in the past few months, I say $500.

And yes, of course it's pure speculation.

The only problem with all of this is the x70 cards are still "top tier" - they're the 2nd best card (typically) - so there's no "budget" reasoning for them to price it lower. The 760 Ti will likely compete with the 7970...so there's no reason to worry that much with the 770 part.

Based on what NVIDIA has done in the past few months, I say $500.

And yes, of course it's pure speculation.

All due respect, sketch, you must realize that people have set budgets and regardless of AMDs position in the game, nvidia has to right price their low end and mid range products. As you saw with the 600 series, they had SKUs ranging from 100$ to 500$ in 25$ increments.

We know that the 600 series is going EOL. As such, while they can price their "halo" parts extremely high (as intel can with their E/X CPUs), they cannot ignore the fact that in the real world, people have real budgets and limited, set funds that they pre-determine for computer parts. Most people _do not_ buy 650$ GPUs. But, will they buy a 400$ value GPU? There's a very good chance.

The GTX 670 sold amazingly well, incredibly well in fact - because it was such a good value. I have plenty of friends that would not think for a SECOND of paying 500$ for a GPU, but they thought "oh well, 400$ for a 670..why not". Price matters with lower end and mid range parts. I seriously doubt it will be 500$, I think 400-449$ is to be expected. Actually, being a mid range part - I really hope they do 400$.

It will probably be priced at $450 like the GTX670 it is replacing. The 760ti will likely be $300 like the GTX660ti it is replacing.

Back