hey do you think that u320 and all the

piako

[H]ard|Gawd
other server hdd techs like fiber chan and 80-pin scsi will go away once ssd is more out there? seems like the rotational factor is no longer a mainstream vs server issue (eg 7200 vs 15000) with ssd speeds. figuring the market will consolidate all the different connectors and such.

Interface and drive type are independent. SCSI has been replaced with SAS and fibre channel isn't going out anytime soon.

Interface and drive type are independent. SCSI has been replaced with SAS and fibre channel isn't going out anytime soon.

you'll see more and more the proliferation of SAS and SATA intermixed drive enclosures in the data center. I see FC drives staying around longer than anything else that's being "phased out" In 5 years, I tihnk FC drives might be a thing of the past, and we'l all just have accepted that the enterprise drives are SAS or SATA. However, fibre channel as a whole won't be going anywhere...most of your high end implementations are still going to be FC attached, IMO. The standard has been around too long. Too many datacenters have too much fibre optic cable that they could use. Also, fibre inherently has a significantly lower error rate, due to the nature of the technology. EMI doesn't affect it, and it can go very long distances without repeaters. SAS, on the other hand is just now getting switches to market, and IIRC, the limitation is 9meters/cable. Only good inside a of a very confined area in the datacenter.

IDK I definately see SAS combined with iSCSI taking over the FC market just because in the enterprise 10GBe is starting to come into play more and more and iSCSI can easily be added to any network unlike FC where it requires special switches. Yes there are Infiniband/SAS switches but you will use those to connect together all your SANS and chances are they are near(within 9meters of each other)and then have a Head Server with iSCSI target software and from there its much easier to move data around the network. Plus even 10GbE is cheaper, and easier IMO to implement then 4Gbit FC.

Seagate is phasing out SCSI and Fiber Channel drives - by 2010 they'll be gone and it will be all SAS and SATA.

SCSI and FC drives are a thing of the past already. Heck, we've pretty much phased out most of our SCSI storage systems. We only have two FC cabinets left.

From where I sit, processor trends are away from blades or rack-mount multicore servers and towards virtualization platforms such as the HP superdome. These kinds of servers support a full array of I/O configs, including FC, SCSI, etc. Storage will follow suit, towards lower TCO (think less electricity, less heat, less A/C, longer life, higher reliability, etc.) options. As solid state mass storage options become cheaper, I think there will be some adoption because the TCO will be so much better than disk drives. But legacy storage will live on for quite some time particularly since the latest gen of virtualization platforms supports them all. The real intresting work happening now is in the virtualized storage architectures... essentially de-coupling storage from the computing platform.

The real intresting work happening now is in the virtualized storage architectures... essentially de-coupling storage from the computing platform.

Yea...I was looking at the Dell EqualLogic stuff and that seems to be pretty sweet.

Back