Hexacore i7 970 hits retail... in UK

I'll give it a while. This reminds me when the q6600 came out. You just have to play the waiting game.

I bought the 1055t plus a nice MSI motherboard for around $220 for the combo.
Been running the system at 3.8ghz.

Probably worth just to go the $100 more for the unlocked multi.

Oh this launched already?

Intel's been so silent about it.

Either way at this price I don't see it selling any more than the 980X

Yeah I don't get it. If you're gonna spend this much, why not spend a little more and get the top of the line chip. Why does this exist?

I guess Intel's merchandise team thinks people think like computers when shopping.

IF ( budget < $900 )
THEN purchase 970

ELSE purchase 980X

I just don't get it I suppose. Why would they market this chip as a consumer (not enthusiast) chip, and sell it at $900.

Intel is being extremely greedy in this latest offering, and that irks me.

I just don't get it I suppose. Why would they market this chip as a consumer (not enthusiast) chip, and sell it at $900.

Intel is being extremely greedy in this latest offering, and that irks me.

there is no such thing as greed in a market place. it really irks me to hear people like you say something so stupid like that.

intel releases their chip(and it is over priced, i agree with you on that part but not for your reasons). it will not sell at said price, intel will either discontinue the lineup or lower the price. they make the chip, and if you dont like the price, dont buy it. if they feel the R&D into the chip warrants the price tag, then that is THEIR issue and they can figure it out when they sell 5000 chips world wide and are wondering why.

2 years from now, this chip will be on ebay for 175 bucks just like every other "high end" used chip because by then we will probably have 16 core units.

Micro Center currently has the Gulftowns on sale for $949 right now, so this supposed Intel Core i7 970 X6 cpu is an even worse bargain unless you are unlucky to not live in the US, or near a Micro Center.

Sometimes I don't understand Intel's pricing and processor naming schemes as they never seem to make sense. You pay a premium for extreme edition unlocked stuff, but how is a lower clocked version that is fully locked supposed to compete?

The write-up over at bit-tech makes this processor out to be a horrible one for OC'ing. And to think, I was about to put off building my first computer in 8 years in order to wait for the 970 to be released at $562. lol, it's $900 and a horrible OCer. So glad I went with the 930 instead :)

Either Intel is losing their ass on the 32nm process or their pricing department is full of retards. Who isn't going to spend the extra 10% to get the unlocked multiplier when they are all ready dropping that kind of money?

I was considering the upgrade to a 6 core CPU to replace my 920, but not anywhere near this price. I know the EE and higher binned chips are low volume, but at this price structure they are only cannibalizing sales of the EE CPU or losing out on sales in the $750ish price range.

Too expensive, the 980x for $100 more is a better deal. If this was $500-600 it'd make sense.

whats the point, the i7 extreme 6 core is cheaper then that on ebay. i wonder when they will finally drop the price on 6 cores

I wonder if they will come out with say at 2.66 hex core for about 1.5x the price of a 930
6 cores on the same chip is getting very close to a duall workstation at a much lower price for the support components (dually mobo esp) not to mention the busses are internal so less points of failure.

I'll just wait for Sandybridge next year. My I7 920 @ 3.8 is fast enough for everything I do. I don't see this chip being any faster in anything I do, but I bet a new socket set with new instructions will speed things up quite nicely next gen.... Just sayin!! :cool:

i think the price point is crazy on this chip atm. i mean heck, for just a few $$ more you can have the 980x and since were so close to $1k you might as well, i think they need to drop another 100-150 to make it more appealing.

Back