Hex-SLI possible on 780/790 boards?

Deusfaux

Gawd
It would seem on the reference boards there is enough spacing between the PCI-E slots that it would allow for 3 9800 GX2s to be installed.

So, um, Hex-SLI anyone?

Hacked drivers, future official support, something?

Also, question = tri sli 8800/9800 GTX vs quad SLI (2x 9800 GX2)?

not unless your hacked drivers can support a hacked pcb, since the 9800GX2 only has one sli bridge connector and not 2 thats required for three way sli.

Also, as far as I am aware DirectX 10 only allows for 4 framebuffers, so just like how on DX9 quad-sli was a waste (due to the 3 buffer limit), anything more than 4 would be a waste in DX10. Unless, of course, DX10 allows for more than a quad-buffer. Which I am unsure about.

Hmmm. What if it was a bridge connector that looked like the 3-way one cut in half?

edit: also interesting about the DX10 limitations

I'm pretty sure the tri-sli board I looked at has 16x16x8x for the three gpu slots and I think you need to have a full 16x slot to be able to use the GX2, so this is probably the reason why you can't do three GX2's yet.

I'm pretty sure the tri-sli board I looked at has 16x16x8x for the three gpu slots and I think you need to have a full 16x slot to be able to use the GX2, so this is probably the reason why you can't do three GX2's yet.

Again, that and the fact that there is only 1 SLI connector on the 9800GX2...

Not to mention that even if it was possible, scaling is already pretty terrible in 3 and 4 GPU, let alone 5 and 6. They'd be almost entirely useless in most games. Probably get 1-2 extra fps max.

I was never interested in the practicality of it - hell, I think vanilla SLI is largely not worth it

I was never interested in the practicality of it - hell, I think vanilla SLI is largely not worth it

Do you have personal experience with SLI at high resolutions? As in, 1920x1200? Because I've found it's anything but useless or not worth it.

Do you have personal experience with SLI at high resolutions? As in, 1920x1200? Because I've found it's anything but useless or not worth it.

Agreed, there is a huge boost from a second GPU at any resolution above 1600x1050 or 1600x1200, usually 50%+. While the third and fourth GPUs largely do very little these days, a second one does a whole hell of a lot as long as you aren't gaming at 1280x1024 or below.

Back