Hex monitor stands

Spun Ducky

Gawd
So on a whim(drunk), I ordered 3 27 inch korean monitors. I already have 3x Dell 2209wa and also a 28" Hannsg monitor along with a 46 inch TV. I am basically trying to figure out how to setup my screens now layout wise.

I am figuring I will go with something like a traditional Hex setup but I am having the issue of finding a decent stand. So what are some good stands that won't break the bank for hex monitor setups?

That depends. I don't use hex stands myself because you become committed to a single layout. I prefer 3 pole stands because I can curve in the wing monitors:

Balanced world at night by rtangwai, on Flickr

The middle pole is a bastardization of a standard Atdec vertical pole mount using the arms from an Atdec horizontal dual mount:

2013-05-17 16.23.18 by rtangwai, on Flickr

The outer poles are Egrotron DS100, they are nice because they are very strong and can offset the monitor placement - the Atdec vertical mount has no placement options on the horizontal plane.

If you are set on a hex mount eg. you have a small desk and the wing monitors will overhang then try looking at http://www.tykesupply.com/Hex_Monitor_Stands.html - they are reasonably priced. Just don't try to mount the 46" TV to it as they aren't big enough or strong enough to hold it.

You are an amazing resource for this setup. A huge amount of inspiration and choices have been made by your setup.

Those tykesupply stands are pretty decent.. they aren't fancy by any means, but they get the job done. We got one at work, but ended up having to drill another hole down lower in the post, so that we could mount the two arms down lower. The holes started up too high, so we just slid it down, and used the last hole as a place holder, and drilled /tapped a new one through the collar. Also keep in mind that some of those sets have "set" position vesa mounts, so if you want to be able to angle them, make sure to buy the one that has the adjustable knuckles on the mounts. You can buy them after, but it costs more money

Yea I was looking pretty heavily at them and I think you guys are right that vertical stands would give more customization. The other option is building a custom stand out of wood. I have a free supply of any board size you can think of as I live near a mill with friends there who can give me the imperfection pieces for free.

Back