HeSuVi: A Headphone Surround Virtualizations for Equalizer APO

brainfried

Gawd
For you virtual surround nuts out there like me. I've been really enjoying myself with what I'd consider the holy grail of virtual surround on PC. Love Dolby Headphone but don't have an appropriate sound card with support for it? Now you can use it. Don't like the reverb present in some HRTFs? Use the version without reverb. You can switch between all of the HRTFs in real-time, adjust sound positioning, perform equalization, etc.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

EDIT: OK, seems to only work with 48000 Hz samplerate

This is very interesting, wonder how close it's to the real thing, it sounds pretty promissing and with that system wide capability and a huge plus with the various reverb levels makes this very interesting. Would need to give it some go with games to see whether I prefer this over 5.1 speaker setting.

I don't think it will beat the natural sound of plain 5.1 speaker setting but it's an interesting comparision of the algorithms

Last edited:
EDIT: OK, seems to only work with 48000 Hz samplerate

This is very interesting, wonder how close it's to the real thing, it sounds pretty promissing and with that system wide capability and a huge plus with the various reverb levels makes this very interesting. Would need to give it some go with games to see whether I prefer this over 5.1 speaker setting.

I don't think it will beat the natural sound of plain 5.1 speaker setting but it's an interesting comparision of the algorithms

It's worked just as well as real CMSS-3D for me. Depending on the game. I use CMSS-3D, Sennheiser GSX or SBX Pro Studio through HeSuVi.

I think for my tastes like I've experienced with all these processings before is that it impacts too much on the clarity/sound quality, my fav is still unprocessed 5.1 speaker setting for maximum sound quality, yet improved soundstaging and imaging over stereo. In some aspects I prefer the surround aspects in plain 5.1 speaker setting, that's how vast it can make distances sound like, these algorithms while often tries to exaggerate the exact direction, makes the soundstage more closed in with a more noticeable maximum limit to distance and not as smooth distance perception (Dolby Atmos for headphones in particular). Depends on game a bit ofc, like Battlefield series traditionally sounds pretty good with Titanium HD CMSS3D for example if we ignore the overly crispy EQ'd setting/tin-can sound.

Last edited:
Back