Hershey's Website Hacked, Recipe Changed

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that someone hacked Hershey's website and only changed a recipe or the how seriously the company is taking it (the recipe change, not the hack).

Dear Hershey Consumer, At Hershey, we are committed to open communications with our consumers and other stakeholders. As a result, we want to take a moment to inform you about a recent incident and the steps we took to correct it. We recently discovered that an unauthorized individual accessed one of our websites and altered one of our baking recipes. As you know, Hershey's recipes are built on our legacy of offering the highest-quality products for more than 100 years. Consumers rely on us for this information, and we take the quality of our baking and cooking recipes very seriously.

If they took their recipes seriously, they would hire a chef to write them.

CNN reports Hersheys sued after woman cooks her baby per the instructions on hacked recipe.

I can see why they might be pretty upset. If the recipes changed to something trademarked then they could potentially be held legally responsible. Or. If the the recipes was changed to make the food inedible, there are a lot of dumb people that would follow a recipes blindly. Again they might be held legally responsible.
But what I really want to know is if it was Al Qaeda hacking them to put the instructions for making a bomb there in retaliation for them being hacked and swapping there bomb making instructions for cup cake recipes

If Sony were so cautious and apologetic, would you all be saying they overreacted? Probably...

I applaud Hershey's response.

The hackers should have posted a map to the Hershey Highway

If Sony were so cautious and apologetic, would you all be saying they overreacted? Probably...

I agree, I like that a company takes its business seriously, even if it is "only" recipes.

Look at banks response, on the other hand. Millions of dollars (billions) lost? I'm sorry, we'll tell you when we're good and ready.

my buddy worked at hersheys, he was wondering why he had to jizm into the tanks...

They already changed their recipes for the worst...

It's funny. I've been drinking those throwback pepsi's and mountain dew's and such with cane sugar as it was when I was a kid. I like the corn syrup recipes better.

They already changed their recipes for the worst...

Since when? The Throwbacks are offered as a side thing so I haven't noticed any difference in taste over the years with the regular stuff. I however am a Dr. Pepper fan and I do like the Dr. Pepper Cherry's that they've been selling.

Heshey isn't a company name that is synonymous with good chocolate.

"great" chocolate wasn't what Milton was aiming for, at the time it was outrageously expensive. He made it affordable.
My dad had to work in the Milton Hershey orphanage, he can't stand the smell of chocolate to this day.

"great" chocolate wasn't what Milton was aiming for, at the time it was outrageously expensive. He made it affordable.
My dad had to work in the Milton Hershey orphanage, he can't stand the smell of chocolate to this day.

We're on the same page.

I was just commenting about this -

we take the quality of our baking and cooking recipes very seriously.

and

How would this make any difference? I am sure Hershey's has some pretty awesome pastry chefs working for them.

Just a though.

What's next... hackers attack teletubbies website and change the sun-baby face to the gerber baby?

oh the insanity!!!

Why does the orphanage smell like chocolate?!

I would like to vouch for the pepsi/mntdew throwback. I enjoy the sugar version vs the corp syrup version, I have tested them side by side and have noticed a difference.

lol I said corp syrup the most logical spelling mistake of my life

I can see why they might be pretty upset. If the recipes changed to something trademarked then they could potentially be held legally responsible. Or. If the the recipes was changed to make the food inedible, there are a lot of dumb people that would follow a recipes blindly. Again they might be held legally responsible.
But what I really want to know is if it was Al Qaeda hacking them to put the instructions for making a bomb there in retaliation for them being hacked and swapping there bomb making instructions for cup cake recipes

It makes me sad that a recipe can be trademarked.

I've had Toblerone, Ghirardelli's, Godiva,local homemade candies...It's all good to me.

But a nice fresh Hershey bar?...there's no better chocolate. It's perfect.

I've had Toblerone, Ghirardelli's, Godiva,local homemade candies...It's all good to me.

But a nice fresh Hershey bar?...there's no better chocolate. It's perfect.

Whatever suits your tastes, nothing wrong with that. It just isn't considered good in the chocolate world ( neither are the others you listed ;) )

Not saying Sony did the right thing, however Hershey quickly apologizing for a changed recipe on their website is a little different from investigating/disclosing X millions of stolen credit card numbers.

What's next... hackers attack teletubbies website and change the sun-baby face to the gerber baby?

oh the insanity!!!
No, even worse - they will change the purple guy to start frolicking around with a purse and teach kids that its uber cool to be gay.

Oh wait..

Back in the day, we'd change it a little bit, and include
some Mary Jane for some spice....was that it?

Back