Heroes of Newerth beta

The heroes in LoL turned me off from it. It seems a bit too cartoony/kiddified for me whereas HoN leans more toward realistic graphics and effects.

Plus the heroes themselves, LoL's just aren't that appealing to me, how many of thoem look like little kids with a gun/bow, etc? The heroes in HoN are more unique to me.

The heroes in LoL turned me off from it. It seems a bit too cartoony/kiddified for me whereas HoN leans more toward realistic graphics and effects.

Plus the heroes themselves, LoL's just aren't that appealing to me, how many of thoem look like little kids with a gun/bow, etc? The heroes in HoN are more unique to me.

Did you play dota? I don't think HoN is going for unique at all. I haven't played LoL in a while, I know there is one little girl but she doesn't use a gun or a bow. There is an archer. Not a little kid either. I don't know if there are any gun users. Have you played LoL? I can't believe anybody looks at either of the two as realistic. I definitely don't think either of them are going for realism.

I will agree that it's cartoony. If you don't like cell shaded, you won't like LoL.

I meant realism in the art style/graphics, HoN doesn't look cartoony, LoL on the other hand does. Which I guess with Dota being on WC3 it fits better but I simply prefer the style of HoN to it.

As far as unique goes, I mean the heroes themselves, they all look unique compared to most of the other heroes whereas in LoL (at least when I played months ago) many of the heroes didn't look all that unique compared to some. My favorite hero in LoL was fiddlesticks because he didn't look too cartoony and stood out to me.

How long do the invites take to receive? My buddy gave me one yesterday and I haven't received the email yet. I checked my spam folders and nothing is there.

Shouldn't take but a few minutes. Out of the 3 invites I sent out, they all received in a min or two. Creating a name that isn't already used was the hardest and longest part of the process for them :p

the game gets extremely repetitive after a while. there's only ONE map that people play (JUST LIKE DOTA LOL) and trust me, it gets OLD.

Not to mention, all the heroes have one basic strategy. you'll find yourself doing the same thing over and over, game after game, because with 4 spells, you're usually stuck with hitting them in the same order.

also, s2 is definitely having balance problems. Some heroes are still very bad while some are still VERY good. If you're the kind of player that likes to switch it up, you'll be stuck with crap heroes a good amount of the time, getting raped by people with the "top tier" heroes.

not to mention the community is TERRIBLE. you will encounter many, many 12 year olds, e-thugs, and dumbasses. Also, about half of all games have someone who leaves, so you end up with an easy victory or a hopeless defeat.

All in all, for a free game, it's OK, but for $30, I'll pass.

Not sure what you mean by hitting the skills in order. For some I suppose but many times when and where you use your skills come into play with who you are against and the situation.

IE - Pebbles. A tank who has a stun and a toss. The toss itself can be used in many ways. If you toss someone and then stun under them it does double the dmg. If an enemy is running from you and he' sthe only one around and your teammates are behind you, you can toss him backwords to them. Likewise if a friend is running and someone's chasing, you can toss him ahead to get away or as a last resort, kill him by tossing him and deny him.

Many of the heroeso have counters and heroes they work well with.

Once you know most of the heroes and their skills/what is a good loadout for them it's not that hard to play All random or single draft to mix it up.

I do agree though about the map. They need a lot more maps and more variety in terms of setting. I don't get why dota players focus on one map? Surely there's room to have at least 8+ maps and have the community actually play them.

They have another map (Watchtower) but hardly anyone plays it and to be truthful the map itself is more or less just a structed different setting.

I'd like to see variety in maps in terms of the setting and the 3dness of them. Have a map set in a mountainus snowy setting with large cliffs, etc. Have another map set in a volanic area with large crevices you have to pass through and choke points. Just more variety.

The community, well starting out never having played DOTA and learning as I went along I honestly almost quit playing because of it. You make one mistake, even in a "Noobs only" room and people fucking lose their mind and go off the handle about it whining and complaining. The community (and I'd assume it's the Dota people) are some of the most elitist pricks I've ever played with in a game.

There is no point in having new maps because the map itself is just as important as the characters you play. New maps would be nice, but really it would end up being a big PITA because without them really reworking balance issues and changing characters around, each character would only be strong on specific maps. The characters are built for this map and this map only, balanced that way too. I do think they could do some basic reskinning so we can play in a desert, in space, things like taht but the actual map layout is too ahrd to change without messing with the entire game.

I do agree on the community, it is absolutely terrible. Get 3-4 friends to play with and it's a whole new game. I have 5 people on my friends list, all with mics who I play with every night. Usually 4 of us total which will almost fill an entire team. We host the game, enforce roughly equivalent KD:ratios on everyone and we all have a good time.

I know what you mean about each hero having one basic strategy, but I have yet to play the same game twice and I've logged close to 150 now. I never played DoTA before this and it's my first exposure to the Multiplayer Battle Arena genre(That is what it's called, right?) Everything is so team based, your team plays differently each game. Each hero will have the same abilities but with the myriad of items offered in the shops you can make each hero play at least 2 different ways in most cases. Some heroes are more restricted than others an dyou won't be able to find as big a variety. Again though, the real variation comes in how your team plays as a whole. I play usually the same 3 heroes in every game, but every time I have to play differently because it's about meshing with your team and making them as a whole succesful.

My two cents.

Hmm, I'm not sure how new maps would unbalance things?

I mean look at Demigod. It's the same basic formula as this with the whole creeps/lanes and such but they have many different maps and layouts and it works fine.

Never played Demigod, I just know that hero speed and such seems pretty map dependant for balance. I may be totally off, is demigod worth a try?

Last edited:
Never played Demigod, I just know that hero speed and such seems pretty map dependant for balance. I may be totally off, is demigod worth a try?

I enjoyed it a lot since it was a fairly new experience for me having not played a similar style of RTS like it.

However they have no where near the amount of heroes that HoN/Dota has, there's only a handful and you can pick multiple ones in the same game unlike dota/hon.

One thing that seperates it a bit is that in Demigod you gain experience when you can choose to spend on your cahracter or on your buildings (Towers/Base). Which provides a bit more depth then you find in Dota/Hon, which focuses on the heroes only. This lets you build your character differently and unlike in Hon/Dota your skills unlock different things at higher lv's rather then just a "more powerful/longer duration" to tohe skill.

Also it has some heroes which focus on supporting the creeps/having their own (Think of Defilers ultimate kind of, but on more).

In the end game the battles you fight will have a shit ton of creeps being pushed and not just your usual handful like you usually have in HoN/Dota.

Demigod is a very good game, I would reconmend getting it when it's on sale, as long as you alteast have someone you can reliably play with.

Playing vs just computer is meh, but playing against/with atleast 1 other person and it really started to shine.

the problem is that HON is a straight copy and paste of DOTA. Even 90% of the patch changes are straight rips from DOTA.

it's just DOTA with slightly better graphics and a stat tracking system

Which may be good if you were one of those guys who sits there and plays DOTA all day long doing the same shit over and over and over again until your fucking fingers fall off, but you know what? DOTA is FREE.

This isn't. It's $30.

$30 for a copy and paste job that still has ONE GOD DAMN MAP.

the problem is that HON is a straight copy and paste of DOTA. Even 90% of the patch changes are straight rips from DOTA.

it's just DOTA with slightly better graphics and a stat tracking system

Which may be good if you were one of those guys who sits there and plays DOTA all day long doing the same shit over and over and over again until your fucking fingers fall off, but you know what? DOTA is FREE.

This isn't. It's $30.

$30 for a copy and paste job that still has ONE GOD DAMN MAP.

DOTA isn't free so stop spreading FUD. For me to actually go play DOTA today (I have never played it and I don't own W3) would cost me about $30 to get W3 and the expansion

at the moment they are following dota simply because they know their main playerbase is going to be dota. By following dota tweaks they will keep ppl who play dota interested. Also they don't need to concern themselves with item effect/ballance as much and worry abt game engine

comparing a game that is still in CLOSED BETA to production games is just a pathetic attempt to troll

DOTA isn't free so stop spreading FUD. For me to actually go play DOTA today (I have never played it and I don't own W3) would cost me about $30 to get W3 and the expansion

at the moment they are following dota simply because they know their main playerbase is going to be dota. By following dota tweaks they will keep ppl who play dota interested. Also they don't need to concern themselves with item effect/ballance as much and worry abt game engine

comparing a game that is still in CLOSED BETA to production games is just a pathetic attempt to troll

Take off your violet shades dude. You can get a copy of Wc3/expansion for cheap now. It's not 8 years ago lol.

They are only following DotA because they have no artistic souls in their bodies. Seriously, all of the good heros are blatant DotA rips, if any of them are bad it's because they suck at porting them over.

Do you also seriously think that the game will change at all when they release it? Other then the population dropping because no one wants to waste 30 dollars on a rip.

Take off your violet shades dude. You can get a copy of Wc3/expansion for cheap now. It's not 8 years ago lol.

They are only following DotA because they have no artistic souls in their bodies. Seriously, all of the good heros are blatant DotA rips, if any of them are bad it's because they suck at porting them over.

Do you also seriously think that the game will change at all when they release it? Other then the population dropping because no one wants to waste 30 dollars on a rip.

No Artistic talent??? Are you blind? Many of the heroes look great (Espeically like Pestilence's look) and even ports of DOTA heroes aren't generally simple copies of the model and moves straight over.

They already said they aren't going to follow DOTA to a T rather they will do some things their own way, but the core game play they want to keep the feel of DOTA.

As far as dropping 30 bucks on it, many people already have and I plan too as well, it's already offered me a ton of gaming time for free and with post release content I don't see why it wouldn't be worth it.

Any chance for a beta key, perhaps? I am testing LoL currently (on my friend's account) but I am pretty sure that HoN will be better. Less cute, more serious, more fun...

Give me a shout if someone got a key to share.

Any chance for a beta key, perhaps? I am testing LoL currently (on my friend's account) but I am pretty sure that HoN will be better. Less cute, more serious, more fun...

Give me a shout if someone got a key to share.

just sign up to the HoN facebook page
They stated when they reach 200,000 fans they will open beta signup for 24H

now concidering they are on 174063 and gaining ~1000 fans a day it won't take that long

Just FYI... Looks like Icefrog isn't going to participate in the development of HoN at all. He went to Steam and is going to develop something with them, apparently.

IMO, completely takes the wind out of HoN's sail. Now we only have DOTA developers in LoL and Steam.

votekicking in HON is also the stupidest piece of shit in any game ive seen.

i had a bad game and started off with 4 deaths, before I knew it I was called a feeder (intenionally dying) and was kicked.

once you get kicked enough times, or disconnect, or any mix, you can't play "no leave" games and are stuck playing games where people leave every 10 seconds.

don't buy this piece of shit, copy and paste game with developers who can't add a feature without fucking up

To the above, you won't get labeled as a leaver just for getting kicked once. Second of all, kicks are hard to get done because both teams have to vote yes to kick you. Something else is going on there, don't blame the game for something like that.

On the other hand, this game does have a very violent community. If someone whines or complains in game, the reaction is usually quick and violent. However, every once in a while you can find someone willing to help a noob out. For maximum enjoyment though, find a couple of people to play with. Soloing in random pubs is a fast way to hate the game. I have 5 guys I play with so reliably we can fill up one side in a game and we all work together and have a great time. Still would rate us as noobs, but it helps having a real team.

Some criticisms are valid, there is alot of balancing issues that take place every patch, but nothing that really breaks the game. Again, get a group of people on your side who are regulars and nothing will really phase you.

I think alot of people are confusing this with something like CS where pubbing is a legit strategy and you can still enjoy yourself. Pubbing in this game really really doesn't work out too well. Because you either have COMPLETE noobs or people who are stat farming. best suggestion, host your own game and enforce low Kill : Death ratios on everyone so you really get noobs. Much better than following PSR

Last edited:
I dont have any friends that play this game, for good reason, DOTA is one of the stupidest game concepts I've ever seen. You're taking very small aspect of Warcraft 3 and trying to make an entire game out of it. It just doesn't work. It's not enough.

Even if I ALWAYS had a group of friends ready to play, I would still pass on this game.

not to mention the balancing is horrible. there are heroes which have been shit since I've started playing, and never, ever has S2 even tried to bring them up to playable level. The opposite is also true, with OP heroes that have been that way for a long time and never nerfed.

S2 is just a lazy, lazy ass company with no original thoughts in their collective brains.

Last edited:
I dont have any friends that play this game, for good reason, DOTA is one of the stupidest game concepts I've ever seen. You're taking very small aspect of Warcraft 3 and trying to make an entire game out of it. It just doesn't work. It's not enough.

Even if I ALWAYS had a group of friends ready to play, I would still pass on this game.

not to mention the balancing is horrible. there are heroes which have been shit since I've started playing, and never, ever has S2 even tried to bring them up to playable level. The opposite is also true, with OP heroes that have been that way for a long time and never nerfed.

S2 is just a lazy, lazy ass company with no original thoughts in their collective brains.

If you don't mind, could you list some of these over/underpowered heroes?

To the above, you won't get labeled as a leaver just for getting kicked once. Second of all, kicks are hard to get done because both teams have to vote yes to kick you. Something else is going on there, don't blame the game for something like that.

Agreed, every time I have someone on my team being deliberately terrible or just a complete jackass I try to get him kicked and someone on the other team always rejects it. They would always rather feed off him than boot him.

Hey, anyone have an extra beta key or two lying around? Me and a few friends want to try this out, we've been playing dota for awhile but this looks so much better (everyone keeps leaving in dota).

I played the beta for a few weeks. Feels like dota in most respects.

The good:
+very much like Dota
+Reconnect to a game feature
+stats tracking
+leaver tracking
+afk kicker, vote kick

The bad:
-terrible community (worse than dota)
I'm a pretty good dota player and I am good in HoN. But the community in this game is horrible. It's as if they're all bunch 12 year olds. Now I can tolerate people raging when the game is going south on them, but they take it to the extreme.

I also encountered many instances where two players on my team for no reason whatsoever starts to argue over race/playing-style/general4chan crap and starts raging at each other, eventually culminating in votekick/leave/feed/grief.

Now when I play a game like tf2, I can relax in the pub, everyone just laughs off kills, wins or losses. That community is much nicer even though it's far from being civil...

I played the beta for a few weeks. Feels like dota in most respects.

The good:
+very much like Dota
+Reconnect to a game feature
+stats tracking
+leaver tracking
+afk kicker, vote kick

The bad:
I'm a pretty good dota player and I am good in HoN. But the community in this game is horrible. It's as if they're all bunch 12 year olds. Now I can tolerate people raging when the game is going south on them, but they take it to the extreme.

I also encountered many instances where two players on my team for no reason whatsoever starts to argue over race/playing-style/general4chan crap and starts raging at each other, eventually culminating in votekick/leave/feed/grief.

Now when I play a game like tf2, I can relax in the pub, everyone just laughs off kills, wins or losses. That community is much nicer even though it's far from being civil...

yes the "community" suck really bad, they generally do have the feel of 4chan /b/tards (and it is just pathetic).
HOWEVER... this is still closed-beta and it seems the DotA lot who were the biggest jackasses got alot of the keys so it seems like the community is a bunch of 12yo virgins with inferiority complexes.

When it goes open-beta (be it with the 1st wave of 24h window for registration probably in a few months [facebook]) the tards should get watered down

Heroes of Newerth seems promising, their graphics engine is a really a step up.
As far as game play goes, i was a bit disappointed as they didn't port most of the dota heroes and some of the heroes skills are a bit different.
But it's unique as it is,
It's a fun game that I would personally enjoy.

The reason why dota became widespread and popular was due to the fact of the warcraft 3 engine,
DX8 engine which was compatible with alot of hardware, even runs fine on some old laptops,
warcraft 3 with it's custom map games packed the most fun for people around the world due to it's playability.

If heroes of newerth wants to make a name for themselves, make it a playable for the low end machines.

Add brazillians who talk shit in broken english to make themselves look idiotic.

I dont understand the popularity of this game. Its like people are so starved for PVP that they will settle for garbage.

Someone needs to make a good attempt at another fantasy PVP mmo, too many companies that dont know how to make games have failed at it (shadowbane, aoc).

Heroes of Newerth seems promising, their graphics engine is a really a step up.
As far as game play goes, i was a bit disappointed as they didn't port most of the dota heroes and some of the heroes skills are a bit different.
But it's unique as it is,
It's a fun game that I would personally enjoy.

The reason why dota became widespread and popular was due to the fact of the warcraft 3 engine,
DX8 engine which was compatible with alot of hardware, even runs fine on some old laptops,
warcraft 3 with it's custom map games packed the most fun for people around the world due to it's playability.

If heroes of newerth wants to make a name for themselves, make it a playable for the low end machines.

Actually, I have a friend whose laptop can barely play Warcraft 3, and his laptop can also barely play HoN, despite the graphic differences. I think they optimized it fairly well for the low end.

Sorry to be begging, but does anyone have any invites, or an account they won't play anymore? I've got 2 friends that have HoN and 2 friends that don't, and we really want to try a 5v5 together

Anyone got anymore HON invites? I have two friends that would also like to play.

Thanks

Hey if anyone has 1 invite I'm planning on having an all nighter with some friends but one of them doesn't have a key. If anyone has an extra I'd love if you'd send it to me. Thanks!

Add brazillians who talk shit in broken english to make themselves look idiotic.

I dont understand the popularity of this game. Its like people are so starved for PVP that they will settle for garbage.

Someone needs to make a good attempt at another fantasy PVP mmo, too many companies that dont know how to make games have failed at it (shadowbane, aoc).

This isn't an mmorpg.

But I agree the Brazillians are annoying.

Guys, no begging for invites here. If people have them, they can post them in the free stuff subforum of [H]otDeals

hahaha yeah every brazilian in that game sounds like they are amped up on coke.

It is worthy to note that they are all DOTA players so that explains A LOT.

Once you get in 1550,1600+ games things get ALOT better. More teamwork, more communication, less statswhole assholes.

I always pub, I don't know anyone in-game and I'd say over 10 game there 1 or 2 where I can say I get annoyed at people.
Also, now you can play on US only server so it blocks out alot of annoying brazilian.

And lastly, the game is very well balanced. Whoever says there are op heroes doesn't know how to play (that's fine, I thought that too when I started)

Each hero have their own strenght and weaknesses you just have to adapt and pick counter-heroes.

Back