Heroes of Newerth beta

Having never played DOTA I was a bit sceptic at this denying and last hitting stuff.
Now with a bit over 20 games of HoN under my belt I start to understand and realise how deep and complicated this game actually is.

Sure I'm playing pub so I've just barely scratch how many facet of this game there are.

I've played a game with sme seasoned player yesterday and boy, there's a world of difference between that game and normal "newb" game that I've been playing since I started. More coordinated, more deadly and way more fun.

Anyways, I think denying has it's place, sure it sounds like a cheap and weird strategy at first but then you realise that if it wasn't there, the early game wouldn't exist which is where you actually get the advantage over someone who can't deny and last hit and I think this is awesome... reminds me of the perfect harrass in SC, expension timing, etc... as the other guy said, separate good player from average player (I'm still way below average).

You saying I can kill my own troops in HoN and then the opponent won't get any exp, how to?

if it's the same as dota they still get exp even if u deny, just less, but thy don't get any gold.

last hit is key, you will definitely notice how great it is when your opponent is barely level 5 and you just hit 6 and your ready to own some face.

This game is leaps and bounds better than league of legends. I tried LoL last night and the difference is night and day.. they should have just kept with the DOTA formula. By that, I mean what S2Games did (carbon copy, with some additional features :p)

Anyone have an extra key? I want my brother to play with me but I dont have any keys yet.

Everything is so small in HoN... if you gain control of a unit, such as a neutral creep, it shows up as 1 pixel on your minimap... after 1 hr of playing HoN, it gives me a headache

I haven't noticed any problems with anything being too small. I always hated the bulky giant UI in WC3, even when I first started playing it. No matter what resolution you use, it's so big and takes up 35% of the screen.

It will still be just 1 pixel. :confused:

If 2 different size monitors are running the same resolution 1 pixel is bigger on the larger one than it is on the smaller one. That having been said, I haven't switched my resolution so I don't know if it adjusts field of view or just renders the same thing at higher resolution but obviously if it does the former then the answer is to lower your resolution.

One of the main things I love about HoN is that it actually scales up to my monitors 2560x1600 :p Yes call me a resolution whore.

Just go on Facebook and become a fan of HoN. Then go to your Inbox and hit updates and the link to a key is there.

All you people asking for keys, just wait for the next wave, they give invites out to current Beta players quite often.

I was about to say... the facebook thing still has invites left?

Btw.. I like this a lot better than dota. Dota was limited by the WC3 engine... although S2 Games are kind of ripping the game idea off... unless they hired people that made the dota maps.

Who needs an invite?

Btw.. I like this a lot better than dota. Dota was limited by the WC3 engine... although S2 Games are kind of ripping the game idea off... unless they hired people that made the dota maps.

Who needs an invite?

i need a key please :p

Who needs an invite?

I thought they asked permission from the dota guy and also he was working with them on some things

Ill take an invite if any are available. I will just check back at that link every now and then till they give away more.

I have now played both and I can safely say that I am enjoying LoL more. It is extremely gank-based which requires more constant action and back and forth and I find that the characters are all more useful throughout the entire game as opposed to having one or two carries who farm all game and the casters doing most of the dominating in early game. I have seen alot more "back and forth" games in LoL and better match ups in players due to the relatively random matching of players rather than people picking and choosing which games they want by viewing what ranking each player is. Of course, you get the odd bad match ups, but that's what happens in match making.

LoL is definitely alot rougher than HoN. But that's good because that means LoL has alot more to improve. If I already like it this much, I can't wait to see what the future will bring.

Also, I like how LoL is trying to break away from the DotA concept. DotA is like the technology that just gets tweaked, but never really evolves (aka waterworks, speakers, etc.). I'm glad someone has tried to take it a step beyond what DotA has already laid out in terms of gameplay.

I have now played both and I can safely say that I am enjoying LoL more. It is extremely gank-based which requires more constant action and back and forth and I find that the characters are all more useful throughout the entire game as opposed to having one or two carries who farm all game and the casters doing most of the dominating in early game. I have seen alot more "back and forth" games in LoL and better match ups in players due to the relatively random matching of players rather than people picking and choosing which games they want by viewing what ranking each player is. Of course, you get the odd bad match ups, but that's what happens in match making.

LoL is definitely alot rougher than HoN. But that's good because that means LoL has alot more to improve. If I already like it this much, I can't wait to see what the future will bring.

Also, I like how LoL is trying to break away from the DotA concept. DotA is like the technology that just gets tweaked, but never really evolves (aka waterworks, speakers, etc.). I'm glad someone has tried to take it a step beyond what DotA has already laid out in terms of gameplay.

Interesting take, and this is the first actual opinion other than "LoL is trash!!!1" that I've heard on the game.

I really like HoN so far, but its easy to see why its so polished, seeing as the content and gameplay are so blatantly taken from another game. They've spent their time on the infrastructure and community features, which are great, and definitely help the game. However I'm still skeptical about whether or not they really have enough new ideas on the gameplay and content fronts because quite frankly they haven't shown all that much yet. Long term that's what people are going to expect.

I believe in S2games, they usually deliver.. I enjoyed Savage 2 alot though it had a small player base when I bought it.

Interesting take, and this is the first actual opinion other than "LoL is trash!!!1" that I've heard on the game.

I really like HoN so far, but its easy to see why its so polished, seeing as the content and gameplay are so blatantly taken from another game. They've spent their time on the infrastructure and community features, which are great, and definitely help the game. However I'm still skeptical about whether or not they really have enough new ideas on the gameplay and content fronts because quite frankly they haven't shown all that much yet. Long term that's what people are going to expect.

The thing is, most hardcore DOTA players and most general DOTA players don't want a new game, they want a few things,

1. Stat tracking and ranking to balance games (the public ELO rating system)
2. Prevention of leavers and griefers (integrated banlist and leaver rating)
3. 5v5 auto matchmaking/ranked matches instead of 5 friends vs a pub stomp
4. Company that actually cares (constant updates, banning map hackers, etc)

I run a few GHost bots and its quite expensive and time consuming to keep them running. LC hosting is annoying because you can't get whispers or see who's coming online or what not. Now that HoN is here, it's a godsend because it's all centralized.

The thing is, most hardcore DOTA players and most general DOTA players don't want a new game, they want a few things,

1. Stat tracking and ranking to balance games (the public ELO rating system)
2. Prevention of leavers and griefers (integrated banlist and leaver rating)
3. 5v5 auto matchmaking/ranked matches instead of 5 friends vs a pub stomp
4. Company that actually cares (constant updates, banning map hackers, etc)

I run a few GHost bots and its quite expensive and time consuming to keep them running. LC hosting is annoying because you can't get whispers or see who's coming online or what not. Now that HoN is here, it's a godsend because it's all centralized.

I agree. I hate the new look and changed interface. I just want those things you listed.

I've already played 80 matches in 2 weeks. Average game time of 38 minutes. Strangely I have not been given invites.

Friend sent me a key last night and I must say... It's fun as crap and it's awesome to hear blizzard doesn't care this game is kicking around.

Actually just got my invites today. First 3 to PM me with their email address get invited. I'll edit this post once they are used up.

Same here and doing the same thing. Just dont wanna type all of that again.

Edit: all gone.

Last edited:
Friend sent me a key last night and I must say... It's fun as crap and it's awesome to hear blizzard doesn't care this game is kicking around.

Why would they? Only one who would care would be DotA author IceFrog who I hear was working with the HoN team anyway.

Back