Herman Miller Aeron - $669

I singed up for the newsletter and never got the coupon..
Weird. Checked spam and everything?

Doesn’t come with arms though.
I may be in the minority, but I don’t want my desk chair to have arms. It just gets in the way of my desk (as in literally. If the arms aren’t adjustable or removable then they may not let me push my chair into position). My arms are on the desk/keyboard all the time anyway.

I assume you can also choose options and buy the extra lumbar support or arms if you’d like. It would just raise the price up.

EDIT: as per the deal info: Note: Task Chair does not come with Arms by Default, you will need to upgrade for an additional $102+ to have them.

Not that great of a deal. Once you add the stuff you need to it, its over $1000.

I picked up a used one 5 years ago for around $250. I love this chair.

IMG_0914.JPEG

Not that great of a deal. Once you add the stuff you need to it, its over $1000.
That's an odd position to take. 15% is 15%. I guess you could pay full price?

Again, considering that this is the tool you're going to use computer to computer and saves your back for hours on end, really a $1000 or heck double it, $2000 investment is still worth it. It dictates all of your ergonomics and definitely comfort and basically can keep ticking for a decade or more. If you care about none of that then I suppose this isn't for you, which is fine.

Honestly the best option is generally buying a chair from a liquidated business. There are tons of fleet chairs out here in Los Angeles. There are literally businesses that have dedicated themselves to buying and selling used office equipment for liquidation. It's not uncommon to be able to find an Aeron with options for $400. But not everyone is near a downtown like LA to have that as an option.

After reading this thread, I looked around and found a local liquidator with a bunch of them. I went by and picked out a good one for $475. It's a basic model with adjustable arm rests. So nice...
Anyone in the Chattanooga/NW Georgia area can find them at Office Furniture Whse on Stuart St.

After reading this thread, I looked around and found a local liquidator with a bunch of them. I went by and picked out a good one for $475. It's a basic model with adjustable arm rests. So nice...
How did you find it? I live in a small city, 120k people, and seem to have zero luck with FB marketplace and Craigslist finding one.

I looked on Craigslist first, since I've seen some liquidators post on there sometimes. Nothing there, so I checked Facebook Marketplace and saw their listing, posted only two days prior. You could also check Offerup and might get lucky.

I got mine from Madison seating for $570 ... took 2 months to deliver though
Supposed to be refurbished ... but looks new, not even a small scratch anywhere

I bought mine many years ago used from a liquidator. One of my best purchases. Still looks new after nearly a decade.

Is Madison seating reliable though? They don't rate very well on google or with BBB.

Definitely one of the best investments, especially for those of us that need to spend a long time at work in front of a computer.
Been sitting on a crap office depot chair for a year now, and my legs are starting to get random pains. Don't skimp on your office chair.

Been sitting on a crap office depot chair for a year now, and my legs are starting to get random pains. Don't skimp on your office chair.
I learned a long time ago where to invest my money, at least in terms of taking care of myself.
When it comes to clothes, protect your feet and your eyes. Having excellent shoes that have support and, for my particular gate, prevent over pronation is worth the $130 or so a year considering they literally prevent muscle, knee, and lower back pain/problems. And having sunglasses that protect my eyes so I can have good vision as long as possible is another place to spend money. The rest of my clothes can be from the bargain bin - it's great if they are actually nice, but in a pinch they can be whatever and I'll get along fine.

I see the office chair and ergonomics related to computer being in the same place. Having an excellent display, a great chair, and good ergonomic positioning is something that has probably been only more widely thought of more recently - but I've been thinking about these things for a long time. A great supportive chair, as crazy as it sounds, is worth more to me than having the best graphics card. Of course I live in a world where if I really wanted, I can have both. But just from the perspective of "level of importance" - I know which one is more valuable in my day to day.

Is Madison seating reliable though? They don't rate very well on google or with BBB.
I can only rely on my experience. I ordered the chair Feb 8, 2021, delivered April 9, 2021. They reply fast when I email them. And they did not charge my account until it shipped.

I can only rely on my experience. I ordered the chair Feb 8, 2021, delivered April 9, 2021. They reply fast when I email them. And they did not charge my account until it shipped.
Did you order the Aeron? If so how was the condition when it came in? I was very close in ordering a chair from them until i heard all these horror stories.

Did you order the Aeron? If so how was the condition when it came in? I was very close in ordering a chair from them until i heard all these horror stories.
Yes I did. It looks brand new. Not a single scratch.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I learned a long time ago where to invest my money, at least in terms of taking care of myself.
When it comes to clothes, protect your feet and your eyes. Having excellent shoes that have support and, for my particular gate, prevent over pronation is worth the $130 or so a year considering they literally prevent muscle, knee, and lower back pain/problems. And having sunglasses that protect my eyes so I can have good vision as long as possible is another place to spend money. The rest of my clothes can be from the bargain bin - it's great if they are actually nice, but in a pinch they can be whatever and I'll get along fine.

I see the office chair and ergonomics related to computer being in the same place. Having an excellent display, a great chair, and good ergonomic positioning is something that has probably been only more widely thought of more recently - but I've been thinking about these things for a long time. A great supportive chair, as crazy as it sounds, is worth more to me than having the best graphics card. Of course I live in a world where if I really wanted, I can have both. But just from the perspective of "level of importance" - I know which one is more valuable in my day to day.

I agree with this for the most part. *But* if you're going to drop 1k on a chair, it's crucial to find one that works for your individual body. Yes, an Aeron will be far better for everyone than an Office Depot piece of junk. However, for 1k or $500 or whatever, there are going to be better and worse options for you. For me, the Aeron is not the best chair, the Celle is. If you can, sit in different chairs at a store and see what works for you. *Then* look for a bargain on that chair.

Ah ok. That's good to hear! Thank you for the feedback.

As I've posted elsewhere, and others have confirmed, Madison Seating is super sketchy. Just google it. Tons of folks have had bad experiences, including people on here. Sure you might get a good chair, but if you don't, it will be a huge hassle to return, given their crappy CS. If you go that route, make sure to read up on them (and their return "policy").

Steelcase chairs are so much better than Aerons though.
I live in west michigan, where steelcase and herman miller are located, have family who have worked for herman miller for 30+ years. I personally have had a few Aerons chairs over the years and my dad has been sitting in his since when they first came out in the mid 90s, my uncle came over to our house with 5 of them, one for each family member right when they were released or maybe even just before they were released. They are excellent quality and super comfy chairs. I have a steel case leap v2 and it is also a nice chair.. although the first one they sent me (bought directly from steelcase) the back was all crooked, so they sent me a replacement. I have had it for a year or so now. My wife has a herman miller embody chair, had that for a few years.. also excellent quality and comfy chair. I would say between steelcase and herman miller its a toss up.. they both make excellent chairs.

I live in west michigan, where steelcase and herman miller are located, have family who have worked for herman miller for 30+ years. I personally have had a few Aerons chairs over the years and my dad has been sitting in his since when they first came out in the mid 90s, my uncle came over to our house with 5 of them, one for each family member right when they were released or maybe even just before they were released. They are excellent quality and super comfy chairs. I have a steel case leap v2 and it is also a nice chair.. although the first one they sent me (bought directly from steelcase) the back was all crooked, so they sent me a replacement. I have had it for a year or so now. My wife has a herman miller embody chair, had that for a few years.. also excellent quality and comfy chair. I would say between steelcase and herman miller its a toss up.. they both make excellent chairs.

Tried the herman miller embody chair sent it right back.

Steelcase Gesture chair all the way! Plus lifetime warranty.

I hate the chair. I got a Steelcase instead with a lifetime warranty :)

Had the Steelcase. Garbage chair IMO. I guess it's because everyone's body is different and there is no "right chair"? Aeron is the best for my body. 6'2, 210. /shrug

I've been using an Aeron chair for the last 7 years and love mines. I bought my son a Steelcase Leap V2. I prefer the Aeron over the Leap. I also upgraded my wheels to rollerblade casters and Enginnered Now headrest.

Maybe the newer Herman Miller models are better. I just can't stand the hard front plastic rim on the Aerons, it's so uncomfortable on my legs.

The Aeron is a really old design even at these prices and I would recommend keeping an eye on FB marketplace or Craigslist to try one out cheap. The embody, leap v2 and personal favorite the gesture are all miles ahead IMHO. You can get a factory cert refurb for about this price.

The Aeron is a really old design even at these prices and I would recommend keeping an eye on FB marketplace or Craigslist to try one out cheap. The embody, leap v2 and personal favorite the gesture are all miles ahead IMHO. You can get a factory cert refurb for about this price.
I'm glad I randomly read your post. I never knew what the chair from a couple jobs back was, but it was comfy. It was the Gesture. I'm really not a fan of my Aeron, even though I got it for 300 used and in great condition. Trying to find a well priced Embody locally, though maybe I'll grab a Gesture if I can find one. I've never tried the Leap v2 so it's on the radar too. Time to replace this Aeron, let the wife or oldest have it, then I can actually enjoy sitting at my desk all day instead of being annoyed I can't put my foot under my leg like I used to.

Reactions: sethk
like this
Back