Here's Why Graphics Card Pricing Could Shoot Up In 2020

I understand perfectly. No, it's not good when your flagship card is 10 and 12. Maybe you need to say that outloud to yourself a few times and think about it more. I

Has there ever been a time when the flagship item was the top seller?

I understand perfectly. No, it's not good when your flagship card is 10 and 12. Maybe you need to say that outloud to yourself a few times and think about it more. I

Has there ever been a time when the flagship item was the top seller?

No, there hasn't. No where near it either. That's why he doesn't understand and needs to say it out loud a few times and think about it more, lol.

The most expensive product in any product line isn't meant to be a volume seller, but somehow that evades him.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeo
like this

This really should surprise no one. Despite everyone on hardware forums flashing their e-peen, the vast majority of the consumer market has always been in the mid-range, which is why people saying AMD is completely screwed because they can’t counter the 2080 Ti are completely off-base. This has always been the case, even before we got insane pricing from Nvidia this time around, and I see no reason for that to change in the future.

Quite frankly, with the way the upgrade cycle is slowing down, there’s little reason to drop $1000 on a video card when a $250-$300 card gives you more than adequate performance, and this is even more true because most consumers are still using 1080p monitors, and for 1080p, the 580 is excellent value for the money you’re spending on it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: T4rd
like this
Shoot up more than they already have?

Guess I'm not buying a new GPU, then.

Well I'm speaking of new cards, I trust used cards about as far as I can throw the fat fuck who thought he could make some money mining with it who's selling it. That said, yeah if there was a used card for really cheap I would think about it, but then the thought would end with "why are they selling it for so cheap" which would kill any transaction. EVGA still selling B-stock for 5% off "MSRP", you just can't fucking win. But luckily my last upgrade 4 years ago is still relevant today.
I don’t think you understand what miners do to gpus

I'm gonna say nope to this.
And the 9700? A super iconic flag-ship card.

look he asked for the top of each generation

If you want to compile the top end ATI/AMD GPU's from each generation

the 9700 was not at the top.

ade3on.png

With OEM clients raising their stock-up demand, Graphics DRAM contract prices are projected to increase by over 5 percent QoQ, the highest among all memory products," TrendForce analyst Arvil Wu says..

Not sure if people went in the article but the actual figure being quoted seems pretty tame compared to the sensationalist headline.

It wasn't really mentioned as much as the focus was on mining demand affecting prices but during the memory price run up in 2017 GGDR5 contract prices also more than doubled, resulting in an estimated BoM increase of around $50.

Not sure if people went in the article but the actual figure being quoted seems pretty tame compared to the sensationalist headline.

It wasn't really mentioned as much as the focus was on mining demand affecting prices but during the memory price run up in 2017 GGDR5 contract prices also more than doubled, resulting in an estimated BoM increase of around $50.

Yeah, this is one thing to keep in mind.

This may result in a substantial and significant increase in VRAM cost.

But there is a lot more involved in building a video card than just VRAM, and even if we see a 50% increase in VRAM cost, this may only be representative of single digit percentage price increases in the overall product, especially since - as the article says - competition is heating up between AMD and Nvidia, so expecially where the two are competitive, in the mid range parts, we may even see the manufacturers eat some or all of that price increase in order to be able to sell a video card at competitive pricing.

They will lilely try to make up for it on the higher end cards though. I wouldn't be surprised if we see mid range cards stay mostly the same in price, but high end ones (where there is less coimpetition) continue their astronomical 10x rate of inflation price increases.

Yeah, this is one thing to keep in mind.

This may result in a substantial and significant increase in VRAM cost.

I'm actually saying the opposite. The article is quoting a 5% change QtoQ. Even if we assume the same trend over a year that would only be 20%. Whereas the 2017 memory price run up resulted in over 100% cost increases in VRAM prices in a shorter time period.

A 5% increase based on leaked GDDR6 launch prices would be a less than $5 cost increase for 8GB. GDDR6 prices are almost certainly down now as the product is more mature and it launched still when memory prices were still high due to undersupply. If we look at the 5500XT 4GB vs 8GB there is a $30 price difference for 4GB of GDDR6 and there is likely at least some margins/and other costs in that $30 for 4GB. But even if we assume that means 8GB of GDDR6 is $60 to the BoM, a 5% increase would only mean $3 more at $63. 20% more is $12.

The US/China Trade Dispute really would have a bigger potential impact on costs and therefore pricing. Not sure if people are still aware of it but there is currently a 10% tariff in place still. An preliminary agreement is supposedly about to be signed which may or may not bring some relief on that. Of course the threat of moving up to 25% tariffs is still there if nothing gets resolved.

Although the interesting thing here is if an agreement does get signed it may spur trade and demand for things such as memory before supply can increase.

Well, I have a Vega 56 Reference, Asus Strix Vega 64 and an RX 5700 Reference card so, I am set for a while, or at least I hope I am. :) Now, I do not want the prices to increase but, it will be what it will be.

Back