Here's What “Zelda: Breath of the Wild” Looks like in 4K

The game was built for Wii U. You're lucky it looks better on Switch. Waaaaaaaaaay to early to compare CEMU. It took them years for Dolphin to get coins to spin in Mario. Point is the game on CEMU will look better in the far future.

Reactions: blkt
like this
Great games are rare. Spend the god damned money to support companies that make them.

I'd be willing to bet that I've supported Nintendo for a generation or two longer than you have.
What's sad is I'm more interested in the Switch from a technical standpoint than I am from a gaming standpoint. Oh it'll have the usual assortment of Nintendo IP games, but probably have nothing else - just like their last 4 home consoles.

like this
It's missing everything from bushes to grass to wildlife. It's a work in progress emulator not the actual game. The game actually looks amazing and vibrant with a very dense world filled with activities, quests and treasure. But it does suffer from no low resolution, little to no AA and sudden drops in villages and dense forests. Can't wait for CEMU to get it working perfectly.

No, it looks pretty much the same. The console versions have some form of grass. CEMU merely has a different stone texture what what looks like green algae smeared on the ground for grass. All thee are equally bad.

All you have to do is look at Link's arms to see the difference.

It's failing to render grass and shadows has no bearing on resolution whatsoever and will likely be corrected in subsequent updates.

Also, the CEMU version doesn't have a different stone texture at all. It's same texture, they haven't made any modifications to textures, I'm not really sure how you reached that conclusion.

Last edited:
So, you need the console to extract the game to pc? I googled... and looked on cemu faq.. nothing i could find. Rededit was no go either. I dont mind buying the game, then extracting from the disk... but not worth my time if i need the console to extract the rom/iso
It's possible to extract an ISO on a PC if your optical drive can read the disc. I think most Blu-ray drives are able to. But the issue is the file contains encrypted files and there is no loader available yet that can decrypt them in real time. The best way still is to use WUDump on the homebrew channel to extract to a USB and DiscU to decrypt.

I bought a switch to just play Zelda. I now play it on the subway, airport, home, etc. Compared to the shield I own, an Xbox, and a sli titan x 4k setup.... I have to say it is one of my favorite devices on par with an HTC vive which I don't own.

If you want to play Zelda buy a switch it's worth it and the best device that I have used in a long time. Game wise, chronotrigger was the last game I enjoyed this much.

Just my 2 cents it's worth supporting Nintendo and buying it. I of course will play it in 4k when that is solved too.

Just my 2 cents :)

Something interesting to note is that the Patreon for CEMU has nearly doubled within the last week or so...up to just over $19,000 per month. :eek:

No, it looks pretty much the same. The console versions have some form of grass. CEMU merely has a different stone texture what what looks like green algae smeared on the ground for grass. All thee are equally bad.

CEMU doesn't add anything...only thing you can change is the render resolution/methods.

like this
I am sure it won't be long before people start figuring out custom shader tricks.

I think you can already do that stuff with something like Reshade. I guess my point was that there aren't really any texture packs or anything that adds or changes the base game assets, I don't think that kind of stuff is possible with CEMU (AFAIK).

Not really impressed with the results from CEMU. Textures have more definition, yes, but the game has lost detail. 4K also does nothing for the graphical fidelity in this instance: it clears up the game's begging for AA, but the resulting picture doesn't look like an improvement.

The game already looks and runs great, and will for a long time. Nintendo's graphical design ages well.

Honestly what helps the game a lot in terms of lack of AA is just having a decent HDTV.

I've played BOTW on both my 27'' 1440p computer monitor and my Sony HDTV and I can make it look better on the HDTV due to the fact that I can apply different correction features that the HDTV can do that the PC monitor doesn't. With the 'game mode' on the HDTV along with a few other features enabled the aliasing is decently reduced.

Not really impressed with the results from CEMU. Textures have more definition, yes, but the game has lost detail. 4K also does nothing for the graphical fidelity in this instance: it clears up the game's begging for AA, but the resulting picture doesn't look like an improvement.

The game already looks and runs great, and will for a long time. Nintendo's graphical design ages well.

Up until last week the game wouldn't even launch. They've gone from nothing to bootable in one week. In emulator terms that's lightspeed. It won't be 'playable' for at least a few months and it will probably be a year before it's 99%.

You guys are a tough crowd.

Here is one of Mario Kart 8, which has actually had some work done on it and is 100% playable, although there are still some minor issues outside of races.

c4VBCAk.jpg

Let me know if you can spot the difference here.

Last edited:
Up until last week the game wouldn't even launch. They've gone from nothing to bootable in one week. In emulator terms that's lightspeed.

I'm fully aware of this. If my post were in any way related to the technical aspect of getting a new game running immediately on an emulator, you would have a relevant section to quote.

My point is that the presentation of this achievement as an improvement over the source original is silly, at least right now. There are some improvements and some drawbacks, and it is overall a wash.

I'm fully aware of this. If my post were in any way related to the technical aspect of getting a new game running immediately on an emulator, you would have a relevant section to quote.

My point is that the presentation of this achievement as an improvement over the source original is silly, at least right now. There are some improvements and some drawbacks, and it is overall a wash.

I don't think the intention was to present it as an improvement, it isn't. I think the intention was to highlight the technological achievement of the group that is working to emulate this game while at the same time demonstrating visual fidelity that can be achieved with better hardware.

like this
the visual quality that can be achieved with better hardware.

I go back to my original statement: the game already looks and runs great, as Nintendo's graphical design ages and scales well. Can there be more definition? Yes. But as we've seen the video and comparison shots, CEMU is actually discarding layers of detail despite having sharper and more defined textures. The anti-aliasing also adds nothing to the overall visual scene, as the graphical design and art style are designed to not necessarily require AA or super clean edges to look good.

Is CEMU running a new game at 4K a good achievement? Yep. Is it an across the board improvement? Hell no.

Then don't come out and say it's 4k as if that's special, then. Saying a game is running as 4k, and enough for a headline, usually prefaces a video or images of amazing quality and some awe inspiring.

If your video looks like washed out garbage, I don't care WHAT resolution you are running. At this point it's a hype train with no stops.
I didn't say any of that. I said it is a WIP and the game is barely running. It is not complete, nor is it accurate. Once this emulator reaches maturity, the frame rate benefits alone will make it worthwhile (and you will notice the visual improvements too).

The game is optimized for 720p. Yes it has lost detail, because it is not rendering everything at this point. Again, it is a work in progress. I am not sure what you are expecting from an emulator that is under such heavy development and still has a lot of hurdles to overcome.

I go back to my original statement: the game already looks and runs great, as Nintendo's graphical design ages and scales well. Can there be more definition? Yes. But as we've seen the video and comparison shots, CEMU is actually discarding layers of detail despite having sharper and more defined textures. The anti-aliasing also adds nothing to the overall visual scene, as the graphical design and art style are designed to not necessarily require AA or super clean edges to look good.

Is CEMU running a new game at 4K a good achievement? Yep. Is it an across the board improvement? Hell no.

I said can be achieved, not has been achieved. BotW isn't even remotely playable on CemU yet. It's still completely broken. This is just a taste of what will eventually be possible.

Also, the game looks and runs great? Really?

Since when are 20-30 fps at 1080p 'great?

Edit: Also, nobody is complaining about Nintendo's graphical design, people are complaining about their underpowered hardware.

I said can be achieved, not has been achieved. BotW isn't even remotely playable on CemU yet. It's still completely broken. This is just a taste of what will eventually be possible.

Edit: Also, nobody is complaining about Nintendo's graphical design, people are complaining about their underpowered hardware.

I don't how/why Nintendo hardware runs stuff better w/ more direct feeling input then the other consoles - But they do it somehow. Even in the few places where Zelda has a framerate drop in docked mode @ 900P the game still manages to 'feel' better then for instances Gears of War 4 on XBONE. So yes - 30FPS on Nintendo's hardware seems to have more direct input then what I get from most AAA XBONE/PS4 games.

like this
The game is optimized for 720p. Yes it has lost detail, because it is not rendering everything at this point. Again, it is a work in progress. I am not sure what you are expecting from an emulator that is under such heavy development and still has a lot of hurdles to overcome.

This thread would be so much better if people actually read posts first.

Since one sits down and plays the damn game and stops worrying if the maximum amount of graphical effects have been applied. In motion, immersed, you could not ask for any more from the game. The draw distance is far enough that one can see across multiple provinces without detail loss. The views are incredible. Up close, the game is lushly detailed. Lighting is real time and beautiful, you can have dozens of NPCs on the screen with no slowdown--there's an area early on with a rest stop and a bunch of monsters and wild horses, and you can see everything with no performance loss.

Considering that this is running on what is apparently a Maxwell Tegra, it does the job. The last thing I think about when playing BOTW is "this just isn't technically impressive." If this game doesn't graphically impress you, you are hopeless.

People complaining about the hardware miss the point.

Last edited:
People complaining about the hardware miss the point.

What point are they missing?

You can't argue that from the perspective of visual fidelity, CemU will eventually provide a better experience.

The argument that you seem to be making is that the Switch is the definitive experience and that any attempt to improve on that experience will be detrimental.

All I can say is play the game as soon as you guys can, however that is. Its so goddamn good.

The argument that you seem to be making is that the Switch is the definitive experience and that any attempt to improve on that experience will be detrimental.

The argument I am making is that the the promotion of the CEMU footage as an improvement over the original is disingenuous based on the mixed bag of graphical effects presented in the video. Additionally, that the game doesn't require graphical enhancement in the first place: it's already amazing in motion.

You are making the argument that the Switch version is insufficient technically. I reject this argument as unfounded, ill-informed, and mildly cynical.

Have a nice day.

You are posting under a false assumption about my posts gathered from incomplete reading. Try again.
See my previous post, it still applies. Your opinion has been noted, but your judgments are premature. Did anyone say this emulator is playable in its current status? No. Then how can you say people are promoting CEMU -over- the native hardware running the same title? You can't. Your assumption is false and you skipped over the entire point of my original reply.

The argument I am making is that the the promotion of the CEMU footage as an improvement over the original is disingenuous based on the mixed bag of graphical effects presented in the video. Additionally, that the game doesn't require graphical enhancement in the first place: it's already amazing in motion.

You are making the argument that the Switch version is insufficient technically. I reject this argument as unfounded, ill-informed, and mildly cynical.

Have a nice day.

For one thing, it's a tech demo.

Also, let's talk about the real reason you're getting so upset: someone questioned the quality of a product developed by a company that you like.

What makes this all so damn funny is that you have a GTX 1080 and are obviously someone who pays good money to achieve the best possible visual fidelity in games, yet with this particular product, your argument is essentially 'it looks good enough' and 'graphics really aren't that important'.

For one thing, it's a tech demo.

Also, let's talk about the real reason you're getting so upset: someone questioned the quality of a product developed by a company that you like.

What makes this all so damn funny is that you have a GTX 1080 and are obviously someone who pays good money to achieve the best possible visual fidelity in games, yet with this particular product, your argument is essentially 'it looks good enough' and 'graphics really aren't that important'.
Almost any 3D game benefits from higher resolution. If the game is old enough, then sometimes the only benefit is cleaner edges, which can also be attained through quality antialiasing. Others, especially ones that have objects in the distance, it can flat out increase the enjoyability of a game. I know I personally hate seeing the constant shimmering from games with poor AA because it's a visual distraction from the rest of the game. For Zelda, a game with wide open areas, terrain you can see in the distance, and grass everywhere, I can't imagine it's not a better experience at a high resolution. Of course this video is just a demonstration, not a polished state like the native game. For me personally, this all says "This game looks neat, but if I wait on playing it, it will be that much better being able to run it at a quality resolution."

I am hallway through the game on the Wii U and really frame drops are there and sometimes do make me wanna scream at Nintendo, 5 years in dev and you dont get it to run properly? and then you say that graphics details are not what you care about? that you care about gameplay? give me a break!

When this run in CEMU as intended, then yes I would give it a 10, the game is super fun, sad thing about the frame drops.

like this

Have a nice day.

it is insufficient, when docked you have frame drops.

like this
Back