Here's what my 850xt gives me when I boot up

WorldRunner

Limp Gawd
8a57713e.gif

I bought some new items... a gigabyte s939 motherboard, a 3800+ processor and a sapphire 850xt radeon.

The picture above is what I see when I boot the computer up... Those colored lines just appear on my screen and move rapidly but nothing ever changes. Is this simply a matter of a bad video card?

Do you have another video card you can put in the system? That would be the first thing I would do.

Lyquist

I don't... only pci-e and pci slots in this thing and I haven't owned a pci card for a while. I was more or less just hoping that somebody has seen this before and can tell me what the deal is.

I'm guessing it's time to request RMA from newegg. This happened out of the box.

try testing on ur friends mobo that has pci-e
if ur friends don't have one exchange the card

and this is scary :eek:
i put a down payment on x85xt pe

this better not happen to me
:(

I don't have a friend who would have even ever heard the term "pci" so.... that's a no go. My best friend's computer is a 450mhz p3 that struggles to play winamp.

And if I were going to inconvienence someone so much as to test my broken shit on their working shit.... well....that person is going to have to be my very best friend lol.

And as I said before...I am pretty much at this point just looking for someone else who's seen this kind of activity from this card before so that they can give me an idea of what I'm into or if I just need to RMA it.

I did nothing with the card... Just plugged it right in and started up the pc. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to test the card or the board with another card =/

How's newegg with RMA? I've been lucky to never have to do that.

Do you have the 6-pin plug, plugged in? PSU up to the task, and PCI-E compatible, or have adapters?

i hate to say this but thats what mine did in my new box, dell had to send me a new one.
and so far so good.

Mac.

Mac[X-D] said:
i hate to say this but thats what mine did in my new box, dell had to send me a new one.
and so far so good.

Mac.

Actually that's kind of what I was looking for...someone else who'd seen this before. I just wnated to verify it was a bad card before I go through the process of trying to RMA.

Funny enough I had that happen to me just the other day... with my 9600Pro...
In my case, it was 'fixed' after dusting off the card, taking it out... letting it lie around for a while, and using a 8500 card instead... then putting it back one last time before sending it back for RMA...

I have no idea what it was, or why it went away again... I just hope it won't come back.

WorldRunner said:
Actually that's kind of what I was looking for...someone else who'd seen this before. I just wnated to verify it was a bad card before I go through the process of trying to RMA.

yea for me once i told the dell tech it was totally corupt in the bios he said he was sending a new card, so i am sure whoever you bought your card from will do the same.

Mac.

You said you brought a new motherboard and processor. If im not mistaken when you buy a new motherboard and processor it is HIGHLY recommended you do a fresh install of windows, so it excepts the new settings. I may be wrong on this, if I am please tell me. Also if all fails do it anyway and possibly a format of the hard drive. That is basically my solutions these days. Good Luck!!

What giga? SLI or Ultra? Make sure vid. card connected to psu and check if it sat right on pci-e socket. If it SLI mobo,make sure you set to normal/single video card setting....good luck

Dude, definately reinstall windows. Or try a repair install. That can be your first option if you have time to spare. I backed up my data and then tried to run my old windows install with the new hardware I purchased and got the same thing you did. I was upgrading from an NForce 2 based system with an ATI 9800XT to a NForce4 system with an ATI x800XT. I repeatedly got the scrambled screen after getting to my desktop during each login. This seemed to happen around the time Windows started detecting the video hardware. Going into safe mode and removing the old drivers didn't help.

tesfaye said:
Dude, definately reinstall windows. Or try a repair install. That can be your first option if you have time to spare. I backed up my data and then tried to run my old windows install with the new hardware I purchased and got the same thing you did. I was upgrading from an NForce 2 based system with an ATI 9800XT to a NForce4 system with an ATI x800XT. I repeatedly got the scrambled screen after getting to my desktop during each login. This seemed to happen around the time Windows started detecting the video hardware. Going into safe mode and removing the old drivers didn't help.

Ok...but how do I reinstall windows when the computer boots to that screen whether there is a hard drive plugged in or not. Also... I can't do anything to get around the crazy video output that I'm getting. I cannot enter bios, I cannot boot to cd. etc.

WorldRunner said:
Ok...but how do I reinstall windows when the computer boots to that screen whether there is a hard drive plugged in or not. Also... I can't do anything to get around the crazy video output that I'm getting. I cannot enter bios, I cannot boot to cd. etc.

no the card is dead, unless u have another pcie card to test with or another system with pcie to test with i think your options are limited byt the obvious fact that the card is dead. even if you booted up with all new hardware with old install of windows, it would just boot and windows would do its best to install the new hardware. the only drivers being load on fisrt start up are dos drivers just so u can see the boot screen its not until u get to windows that the real drivers are loaded. i say stop putting it off and RMA the card.

Mac.

Mac[X-D] said:
no the card is dead, unless u have another pcie card to test with or another system with pcie to test with i think your options are limited byt the obvious fact that the card is dead. even if you booted up with all new hardware with old install of windows, it would just boot and windows would do its best to install the new hardware. the only drivers being load on fisrt start up are dos drivers just so u can see the boot screen its not until u get to windows that the real drivers are loaded. i say stop putting it off and RMA the card.

Mac.

I accepted that late last night and filled out the RMA on newegg...process seems not to bad actually for what it is. :eek: :D

lol, you're trying to boot windows from a new mobo, processor, and videocard off an Harddrive that isnt reformatted or has the old chipset drivers erased? seriously, what do you expect to happen?

Optik said:
lol, you're trying to boot windows from a new mobo, processor, and videocard off an Harddrive that isnt reformatted or has the old chipset drivers erased? seriously, what do you expect to happen?
repeat after me...
it is corrupt in the bios

i dont mean to be a dick, but hes said that a few times now.

on a more on topic note: newegg has a fabulous RMA and cust service dept. its one of the main reasons everyone loves them so much :)

Just goes to show people don't read :eek:

Yes...he said he gets this screen when first turning on the pc...he can't even get to the bios/cmos screen much less get into Windows.

WorldRunner said:

Im so sorry man. Thats what I get for replying when Im exhausted. I didn't realize you weren't getting into windows at all. I see that you are already RMA'ing the card, good luck with that. Guys could his problem have been a weak power supply?

tesfaye said:
Im so sorry man. Thats what I get for replying when Im exhausted. I didn't realize you weren't getting into windows at all. I see that you are already RMA'ing the card, good luck with that. Guys could his problem have been a weak power supply?

It did it on two different PSU. One of them was a 500w one....a good one too. No other devices hooked up

damn. Im still trying to figure out why my computer can prime all day long and play games no problem overclocked but 2 out of every 5 reboots result in the machine not posting and I have to either power it off then back on or hit the soft reset button a couple of times.

tesfaye said:
damn. Im still trying to figure out why my computer can prime all day long and play games no problem overclocked but 2 out of every 5 reboots result in the machine not posting and I have to either power it off then back on or hit the soft reset button a couple of times.

My brothers PC is like that too... he also can't hibernate his PC about half of the time... it will get stuck at the moment when the screen should switch to the black screen with the progress bar.
Personally I suspect the PSU.

Scali said:
My brothers PC is like that too... he also can't hibernate his PC about half of the time... it will get stuck at the moment when the screen should switch to the black screen with the progress bar.
Personally I suspect the PSU.

Time to whip out the Fluke multimeter. That would be odd if it were the PSU. Its a 465 watt unit with 33amps on the 12v line.

Ive actually seen that happen with bad Mobo's, thought it was the video card too, but it wasnt.

Back