Here's to Hoping: Gaming Trends on Mac

JCJones86

Gawd
With the switch to Intel, I am hoping more ports of games will make their way over to Mac OSX. I know we'll never see the day DirectX is ported to Mac, but OpenGL has been quite a leading competitor. My sincerest hope is that Apple will strategize to incorporate gaming into their lineup. Once the demand surfaces, it would only be time before the publishers started taking the hint and making a valiant effort to port their engines and commercial releases to further the development.

What are your thoughts? Should Macs play games with their PC cousins? Would a shift in gaming development towards Mac-ported titles create a demand for Macs, bringing Apple market share up? Or does Apple need to get out of their niche market strategy (assuming you think that's their plan ATM) in order to attract other groups?

Discuss! :cool:

(Also, I posted this in the Apple section because posting in the Gaming section might warrant such replies as "OMG, 4ppl35 f0r t3h l00z!")

With PC's and new consoles like the 360, I think Mac will not bother with putting any resources into games being only having 2-5 percent of the computer market. They should stick with music video and graphics that there strong point.

Because to really keep up with the latest games and so on your machine has to have the latest video card technology and to get it on the Mac you either have to wait and buy a new imac and keep your fingers crossed they put a better card in it or spend a lot of money for a card for the towers even then Mac is usually behind.

You can buy a decent gaming pc for a lot less money and upgrade it as needed or jut but one of the next generation game consoles for even less than the highest end graphic cards.

Also you need to think game developers ok Mac has 2-5 percent of the market do I want to put resources into porting my game is it worth it. Macs not using the latest graphics technologies do I really want to spend money on porting this?

After this being said there will still be games for the Mac more or less now they are using Intel chips only the future will tell

you can run windows vista on a mac now....so as soon as some people port some drivers you get the best of both worlds :)

but yes. native gaming on a mac would be awesome....

DigitalEdge said:
With PC's and new consoles like the 360, I think Mac will not bother with putting any resources into games being only having 2-5 percent of the computer market. They should stick with music video and graphics that there strong point.

Because to really keep up with the latest games and so on your machine has to have the latest video card technology and to get it on the Mac you either have to wait and buy a new imac and keep your fingers crossed they put a better card in it or spend a lot of money for a card for the towers even then Mac is usually behind.

You can buy a decent gaming pc for a lot less money and upgrade it as needed or jut but one of the next generation game consoles for even less than the highest end graphic cards.

Also you need to think game developers ok Mac has 2-5 percent of the market do I want to put resources into porting my game is it worth it. Macs not using the latest graphics technologies do I really want to spend money on porting this?

After this being said there will still be games for the Mac more or less now they are using Intel chips only the future will tell

don't forget, we haven't seen the latest powermacs (or whatever they will be). for all we know they SHOULD be using your run of the mill PCI-E card, since they moved away from Open Firmware to EFI....

and the whole reason for mac specific cards was because of the needs of OF....since EFI is gonna become more or less mainstream now (Vista is supporting it, and new Intel boards will have it) that means video card/ other add-on card makers will have to adopt it and program their cards for it, which (in theory) should allow PC video cards to work perfectly in a mac....

of course this doesn't solve the problem of the hardwired video cards in the iMacs/Mac Mini/Whatever else the guys at apple think up....

Back