Here's an SMP friendly program that I really like.

mosin

[H]ardForum Junkie
This is a small command line defragmenter that defragments, compacts, etc., etc. It uses both processors, and it defragments locked files, too. It is fast and easy to learn. It outruns O&O because it utilizes more of both processors than O&O does. (freeware)
It's especially nice for defragmenting a large file, like a VTS file over a gigabyte, for example.

To sum it up...I love it.

Unzip the .exe to System32.
dirms

Master [H] said:
Cool. Not SMPing it here, but I'm all for good free software. :D
It runs both processors on my K7D. Go figure.

(I'll try it on my bp6.)

Wait... this is basically a disk defragger, like the one built in windows?

It's command line, and it lets you select the way you want it done. It also utilizes both processors....on my machine, anyway.

Hmm... command prompt eh... sounds complicated. I didn't know there are preferences when you defrag... Also, what do you do after you put it in system32? Double click it?

There are instructions on the website that will print out on a couple of sheets. You start a command prompt, (I go to run and type cmd) and you run it from there.
\dirms c -q will do a fast defragment of C:, for example. \dirms c compact will compact the files on C:, and \dirms c -q compact will do both. There are other simple commands....you get the idea.

Ahhh The good ole command prompt. :) Slackware has forced me back... Memories of DOS 5, 6, 6.22 :D

I hang out at General Software a lot, and people post good links there. I was hesitant to post a software link here because no one ever does, but I figured you guys were always on the lookout for programs that take advantage of dual processors, so I went ahead with the thread. I'm glad some of you guys tried, and like it. I thought it was pretty neat when I first saw it. I use it after I rip a DVD because it is fast. :)

By the way, Buzzsaw defragments in the background. I have O&O for that already.

By the way # 2...defrag is a resident command on XP, but the dirms defrag is more flexible.

Carnival Forces said:
hmm...will it work on non-SMP systems?

No. But you can use two systems and run it between them...

j/k :p

Yes, it works fine on single-CPU systems.

Back