Here's an odd one

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
I have a free LAN box that I assembled out of mostly free parts. Currently, it's rocking a Sempron 3200+, and I would like it to have a bit more power. I noticed that the Athlon 64 3500+ are really (REALLY) cheap to acquire, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to spend a tiny bit more and get a dual core - probably the X2 3800.

How much power does the X2 3800 have? Would it be a suitable Linux build? Or should I just get el cheapo 3500? The only purpose the box really has is to play older games like Unreal Tournament (original and 2004) at LAN parties. So if the X2 3800 won't boost it up to be a decent Linux build that can watch Youtube HD and such, then I won't even bother.

EDIT: If I went with the 3500, then my other option would be to piece together a whole new build for Linux. Probably a Celeron G1610, iTX H77 board, and a SSD.

The 3800+ should cover Youtube HD, it just won't do so particularly well. How much would you pay for the 3800?

Right now you can do better than either for pretty darn cheap (if you don't mind using a used CPU), but if you're paying much more than $50 I seriously question the value.

What is your motherboard? Since the Sempron 3200 was available from socket A till now, we need more info.

What is your motherboard? Since the Sempron 3200 was available from socket A till now, we need more info.

Socket 939 mobo from some HP Pavillion. It apparently came with a X2 3800 stock (which I don't have). My real limit is around $10. I was just wondering if spending a little bit extra for a dual-core 939 would net a decent desktop machine is all.

Back